Thread: My First Duramax Tune

Potential Tuner

My First Duramax Tune

Ok guys,
    I have fallowed the guides on this site for the 50/50 tune for my 2006 lbz. I loaded the tune and the truck moves pretty good now. I was wondering if I could get someone to check out my tune and give me some advice or make sure i dont blow it up lol! I did not touch any transmission tunes and dont know if I should. and I would like to get my fuel tank calibrated. it is a 52gal i think!

Truck has a cold air intake, pcv reroute, 3in down pipe and 4in straight pipe exhaust.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachment 47213
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MillenniumZ28; 10-12-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Updated tune for fuel tank and defueling

Potential Tuner
    Really? Hptuners really gave up on duramax? It was so bad that everyone went to efi live? Looks like my mind is now made. Efi here I come!

I'm not in front of computer for a few days but have done a lot with the diesel and can take a look at your file if you would like when I get on Sunday. Have you logged and calibrated the MAF to accommodate the CAI? Pretty much from there you adjust the boost and the injectors a little each time till you find a level you are comfortable with. The biggest issue you will run into is not supplying enough fuel to the injection pump. If you run the injectors to high you run the risk of running the rails dry and causing damage internally. Logging is the key to not hurting the motor. Keep an eye on rail pressure. When it starts to drop you have gone to far. What are you looking for as far as tune- drivability or all out performance?

2006 Escalade LMM Duramax Tuned
    2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L
    56 GMC 100 Status Unknown

The reason for slow response is the lack of functionality with the newer diesels.

2006 Escalade LMM Duramax Tuned
    2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L
    56 GMC 100 Status Unknown

Potential Tuner
    On a stock LBZ you wont run the rails dry. The main thing is to be able to watch EGT's and know what timing the engine likes. If you are trying to get a maximum effort tune for a LBZ with stock turbo and injection system then you will need a lift pump of some kind. Timing is where all the power is made on a diesel. Timing is also what will hang the rods out of your diesel. If you are not tuning on a dyno and it is your first tune I would not suggest going over about 40* worth of timing on the top end of the rpm band. Ramp the timing up quickly and smooth the table out. To get the response up add some fuel injector duration at the lower end of the table and taper it off substantially when the boost comes in. Logging EGT is critical. If EGT is too high (1400-1600 range) either add timing or boost to get the EGT's down. If timing in the area where EGT is too high is also at a high point and the boost is already maxed out (with a manual gauge because the factory turbo will overrun the factory MAP sensor), then you will need to back off the injector on time. Little increases in each area at a time will give you the best result. (NOTE: you can blow a Duramax up on tune only. The fuel system will easily make more power than the engine with a stock turbo can handle!) I suggest a compound over stock turbo to get a great running safe reliable Duramax.

Most of my tuning on diesels is done through EFI, however, I have used the HP software and it works just fine for diesels.
    Last edited by Padendiesel; 11-02-2014 at 01:48 PM.