Thread: Issues with upgrading OS from a 2000 Vette to a 2001 Vette, VATS, Cruise and others

Tuner in Training

Issues with upgrading OS from a 2000 Vette to a 2001 Vette, VATS, Cruise and others

Ok I started getting frustrated with the 2 VE Tables while tuning my 2000 Vette, so I asked about switching to the newer OS Style I had in my 2001 Vette that I no longer have. I was told it would work since I owned the liscense to both but that I should try the Enhancements since they were free.
    So I attempted to load the 1 Bar Map Enhancement using my 2000's tune file and it told me I needed to buy 2 more credits.

So i gave up and went to bringing everything over from my 2000's tune to the 2001. Once done it loaded just fine. Then I went to start it and found the first problem.
    It would start but shut right off even with gas input. If I switched back to the old tune no issues... so I tuned off VAT's and it started right up. I tried using the Relink VATS option under flash and it said it was successful but it still would not start with it on... However with it off the security light in my cluster is on and it drives me nuts.

Next I started tuning and it was great everything was working besides the VAT/Security until I went to put my convertible top down.... I would push the button and it would not pop. Again testing I loaded the old tune and it popped no issue... I saved a 2002 Convertible Vette's file but of course I would have to license that to use it... I don't want to do that until I know I am not going to keep find more little issues.

Then on the way home I found my next issue, I entered all my gear ratio and tire size changes to match the 2000 Vette and the Speedo and HUD read correctly. But when I went to turn on Cruise Control at 82 it said I was doing 42..... and proceed to try and slow down when I let off the gas...

So I am a little confused and at this point seriously questioning if I should just keep trying to find out why I cannot load the 1 Bar Map enhancement or get the license to the 02 Vert's file... but I am worried I will have more problems going that route.

Anyone mind shedding some light on this for me? Thank you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cross; 10-09-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    As with any question, you must post your files for an answer.

That's another reason why I never flash a tune from a different year/model. I always read the OEM tune, then tune it. Post your OEM tune from the 2000. I looked at a 2000 C5 that I tuned and the 1 bar maf enhanced os is not available. But with the 1 bar sd, you can still keep the maf by not failing or removing it.

If your being asked for 2 credits for the enhanced os, you need to download a newer 2.24 build.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    That's another reason why I never flash a tune from a different year/model. I always read the OEM tune, then tune it. Post your OEM tune from the 2000. I looked at a 2000 C5 that I tuned and the 1 bar maf enhanced os is not available. But with the 1 bar sd, you can still keep the maf by not failing or removing it.

If your being asked for 2 credits for the enhanced os, you need to download a newer 2.24 build.

Russ Kemp
    I will try that Russ Thank you.

As for the file, I didn't think you would want them for questions like this but I am loading them now.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Ok I started getting frustrated with the 2 VE Tables while tuning my 2000 Vette, so I asked about switching to the newer OS Style I had in my 2001 Vette that I no longer have. I was told it would work since I owned the liscense to both but that I should try the Enhancements since they were free.
    So I attempted to load the 1 Bar Map Enhancement using my 2000's tune file and it told me I needed to buy 2 more credits.
    As Russ stated, you must download a newer version of hpt for this to work

So i gave up and went to bringing everything over from my 2000's tune to the 2001. Once done it loaded just fine. Then I went to start it and found the first problem.
    It would start but shut right off even with gas input. If I switched back to the old tune no issues... so I tuned off VAT's and it started right up. I tried using the Relink VATS option under flash and it said it was successful but it still would not start with it on... However with it off the security light in my cluster is on and it drives me nuts.
    HPT Vats sync has never worked for anything I have tried it on. Google vats 30 min relearn, I think I have posted it on forum before. Easy to do and will solve this problem.

Next I started tuning and it was great everything was working besides the VAT/Security until I went to put my convertible top down.... I would push the button and it would not pop. Again testing I loaded the old tune and it popped no issue... I saved a 2002 Convertible Vette's file but of course I would have to license that to use it... I don't want to do that until I know I am not going to keep find more little issues.
    Maybe Vats related, may be because one of your tunes is set to gmt530 instead of y.......

Then on the way home I found my next issue, I entered all my gear ratio and tire size changes to match the 2000 Vette and the Speedo and HUD read correctly. But when I went to turn on Cruise Control at 82 it said I was doing 42..... and proceed to try and slow down when I let off the gas...

Speedo settings appear to be incorrect.

What size are your rear tires.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 10-10-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I just pulled the the diagram for the convertible top, it is body control module controled, good chance that vats has it disabled.

Tuner in Training
    Can't really do the edit side with yours I think it might get confusing.

Either way let me try to do so differently.

On the Y vs GMT530, I tried switching it and it did not make a difference.

On the Speedo the original settings for 3.90's and my tire size still left the the Speedo off so using another method to test speed (GPS Program) I got the speed perfect with slow testing.
    When on the 2000 OS when I enable cruise the Speedo, HUD and the Message Center all matched and there was no issue.
    When on the 2001 OS when I enable cruise the Speedo and HUD say say 82MPH and the Message Center says 42MPH and the Cruise Control attempts to slow down to 42MPH.

Now I have not rechecked the GPS to see if the MPH is still correct but I don't think it's 40MPH off.

Tire size is 305/35/19 I believe... or its 305/30/19.

I was on 2.24.378 so Russ nailed it, I updated to the new one and I will try using the enhanced 1 Bar SD tune.

Senior Tuner
    I cant come up with the correct speedo settings with that, I need actual size and tire brand model. Post them up when you get a chance and I will come up with some values. I swap o/s all the time, never had a problem with compatibility.

Tuner in Training
    Hancook Ventus V12 305/30 R19

I found that VATS Relearn procedure I will give it a try thanks!
    Last edited by Cross; 10-10-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Try this.

Tuner in Training
    Alright I will give that a try and the VATS Relearn, now just to get the top to pop.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cross; 10-10-2014 at 01:17 AM.

The speedo settings must be left to the stock 2001 settings. When you copy the parameters over I would start off by only copying the VE, MAF, Injector and Main Spark tables. Alot of other settings are OS specific and usually don't work right when copied. The 2001 OS is updated anyway so the misc other settings will be better anyhow. The VATS will screw with you a little bit but in the past I have done the write entire and if it acts up I then do a Cal Flash and let the car sit for 20 seconds or so. If it still doesn't work then I do a re-link VATS and let it sit key off for 20 seconds. This has always got around the VATS for me.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400