Thread: can I add an iat to 2003 Silverado?

Advanced Tuner

can I add an iat to 2003 Silverado?

About to tackle a hacked tune, starting by adding an iat sensor. The truck was tuned in speed density so there's no maf, which had the iat built in. Can I add a syclone iat to the charge tube? (Truck is stock with a whipple) I see the tan wire in the green connector is for the iat but i don't know where the other wire goes. Is it a ground or what? Or am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I dont know what the syclone has but you need an iat sensor that has two wires. And the connector previosly for the maf should have 5 wires. 3 are for maf and 2 are for iat. Connect those two to the iat. You can also take the whole maf sensor unit and put it between the existing charge tube you have and just wire the 2 wires for the iat. Heres a picture for reference on which wires to use.2010-07-07_011535_2010-07-06_191318.png

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by askkmb View Post
    I dont know what the syclone has but you need an iat sensor that has two wires. And the connector previosly for the maf should have 5 wires. 3 are for maf and 2 are for iat. Connect those two to the iat. You can also take the whole maf sensor unit and put it between the existing charge tube you have and just wire the 2 wires for the iat. Heres a picture for reference on which wires to use.2010-07-07_011535_2010-07-06_191318.png
    The Syclone iat is threaded, 3/8" npt. I can machine a simple bung and weld it in the charge tube. I use them on most boosted vehicles I build/tune. The MAF is gone, previous "tuner" removed it. I honestly don't know if the wiring is still there, although I imagine it is. I'll look at it tomorrow and see what I'm dealing with. My main concern was if the factory iat in the maf was a 0-5 volt sensor like the Syclone iat.

Senior Tuner
    Most of the early GM IAT's used a similar resistance curve so most of them will be directly compatible.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    Yup most of them are compatible. You could wire it up and look at the scanner and see if it reads.