Thread: Ecotec 2.4 LE5 Standalone with E37 PCM trouble

Tuner in Training

Ecotec 2.4 LE5 Standalone with E37 PCM trouble

Hi,

I have recently purchased a standalone wiring harness and E37 PCM from Steve Humphrey of Costa Mesa, CA. As far as I am aware the E37 is supposed to be stock with VATS and maybe some other non essential stuff removed via hptuners or equivalent software. I have very little knowledge beyond that.

Long story short, Steve has most recently provided a pcm that runs very rough and is not useable. He is no longer available and does not return my calls. I have been ripped off or he may be incapacitated? In any case I am in need of a running engine. Can anyone suggest a fix or direction to go. I have been informed by CBM that they are not familiar with the E37 / LE5 arrangement and cannot work on it.

The specs as far as I know them are as follows:

E37 Controller / PCM
    2007 Pontiac G6 LE5
    Drive by Wire
    MAF (not speed density setup)
    O2 Sensor
    8 pin throttle body

I just need a stock tune that will run this engine and work in a standalone fashion. Please let me know if I need to supply any other info.

I'm in Camarillo, CA 93010 and can bring the computer / car to you if necessary.

Thanks
    Last edited by bajalobster; 10-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    is it being used on a 2.4 adjustable cam engine? (LE5)
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Yes LE5 2.4 from 2007 pontiac G6
    Original Donor Vehicle VIN# 1G2ZF58B374101078

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    is it being used on a 2.4 adjustable cam engine? (LE5)

Tuner in Training
    As an updated thought. I believe I can take a E37 from a 2008 2.4 ecotec such as the G6, chevy HHR, etc. Use hptuners to remove VATS, transmission codes and run my motor? I am concerned that there may have been chnages in 2008 from 2007 since the fuel injector part numbers are different from the 2 different years?

Thanks

bone stock hhr
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Hi, Thank you. I have downloaded the file, and I assume it is time to order hptuners suite and learn how to do this myself? Am I also correct in assuming that this stock HHR is applicable to the 2007 2.4 configuration? or are you supplying this so that I may experiment and see if it works?

Thanks

it is 2007 le5 hhr
    as long as this is the vehicle you tend to use this on then it should work

Tuner in Training
    Ok yes, thank you.

I must reiterate that my harness and controller is E37 -the 2007 HHR 2.4 still used the E67 PCM. I am looking for what I fear is a bit out of the box solution.

Basically 2008 PCM E37 and harness, but 2007 motor.

Thanks,

it is 2007 le5 hhr
    as long as this is the vehicle you tend to use this on then it should work

Copy the data and paste it into the equivalent field of the ecu you have.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you very much. It sounds simple and why shouldn't it be.

Do you know why some others that I have tried to contract this out to would tell me that there are many specific E37 or E67 units and they have parts of memory that is specific to the vehicle or motor combo that they are originally built for and those areas cannot be changed?

Copy the data and paste it into the equivalent field of the ecu you have.

That Is true. Internal coding will determine what sensors are being read for predesignated port pinouts and how those signals are to be read. Is it linear 5v, hall effect or reluctor based. Just flashing an entirely different ecu's coding can brick that ecu by changing it's coded data paths and signal types. That's why you will have to research the respective tables between the two and use a copy and paste function if it is going to work.

I won't lie, I haven't seen the ecu swap you are trying to make work. I can't say it is for sure going to work because of that coding. The bonus for you is its running your motor so from here I would use the data from the correct year and see if it smooths out.
    If someone has done the swap personally I hope they come show you all the little nuances and things you can get hung up on. All I can do is show you a direction to try.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, thank you. This is exactly what I imagine will have to be done.

As far as having seen it work. I have seen it work well as Steve Humphrey does just this. The problem is this particular one is not working well and Steve has disappeared, presumably not honoring an $1100 sale.

In previous conversation with him and reading some older posts, he implied that this is a bone stock tune with VATS removed. I suspect that this last PCM was bone stock but just not from the correct bone stock, therefore runs rough with lots of choking and black smoke so I guess way too rich, but I think it threw lean codes?

I think you are too far away, but if you had the car, would you succeed? one way or another?

Thanks

That Is true. Internal coding will determine what sensors are being read for predesignated port pinouts and how those signals are to be read. Is it linear 5v, hall effect or reluctor based. Just flashing an entirely different ecu's coding can brick that ecu by changing it's coded data paths and signal types. That's why you will have to research the respective tables between the two and use a copy and paste function if it is going to work.

I won't lie, I haven't seen the ecu swap you are trying to make work. I can't say it is for sure going to work because of that coding. The bonus for you is its running your motor so from here I would use the data from the correct year and see if it smooths out.
    If someone has done the swap personally I hope they come show you all the little nuances and things you can get hung up on. All I can do is show you a direction to try.

I didn't engineer the ecu so I don't know what crosses over. Aside from that, if it has the correct info uploaded, and I'm gonna assume on this application the proper parts cross over, then yes it would work.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you inspiring words. I have been looking through the file that you posted and am becoming more familiar with hptuners. Can you provide the stock file for the 2008 Le5 as well and also is there any chance for a file that is set for a manual transmission as I'd like to better understand the different setting between the two types.

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    I did this swap before going the other way, an 08 motor running 07 e67 electronics. I'll bet you have the same issue I had. If your motor is an 07, it has a different map sensor than the 08 tune uses. Change those values in your current tune and i bet it fixes all your issues. Its under engine diag/airflow. Map sensor Linear 94.43 offset 10.34 is what you need if your using the 07 sensor. The 08 has 128.13 and -0.31 for those values.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for your help. I am still waiting on hptuners, but will definitely look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by slammed39 View Post
    I did this swap before going the other way, an 08 motor running 07 e67 electronics. I'll bet you have the same issue I had. If your motor is an 07, it has a different map sensor than the 08 tune uses. Change those values in your current tune and i bet it fixes all your issues. Its under engine diag/airflow. Map sensor Linear 94.43 offset 10.34 is what you need if your using the 07 sensor. The 08 has 128.13 and -0.31 for those values.