Thread: VZ LS1 Vortech retard timing on boost

Tuner

VZ LS1 Vortech retard timing on boost

Need help, tried everything
    VZ commodore LS1 with V3 Vortech.
    ECU is pulling massive amount of timing out on boost at wot.
    Instead of the commanded 17 degrees at wot from 3500rpm it suddenly drops down to 2 degrees.
    Ive zeroed and addressed all burst knock tables etc and anything else i thought would be causing this.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your current tune. And a log file would also help.

Tuner

Tune file with some changes since yesterday

Tuner

massive spark retard log file

Just after full throttle massive spark retard occurs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner

Still Retarding Timing

Heres a better log file.
    Im dying for someone to look and give me some pointers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Im still no where perfect in tuning but im gonna try and see if i can help. First off, i would put the same values in the high and low octane tables. Second i would lower both the high and low octane tables by maybe a 5 degrees. Could have something to do because you are getting a knock retard. Not saying that the timing is to high, just to see if it changes anything.

Advanced Tuner
    Also try raising the trans input and output max tables under engine-torque managent.

Tuner
    Cheers
    I didnt realise but i zeroed the minimum spark advance table vs rpm which lets the ecu take huge timing out.
    But yes there is still a reason why it is trying to do that.
    We have 98 octane fuel here so can get away with more timing but i will try your ideas

Senior Tuner
    Your IAT's are 138 to start and climb to 212 during the wot run. This is pulling 11 degrees of timing. Either you dont have an intercooler or its not very effective. You have to much commanded wot timing, nonintercooled on pump gas you wont get away with that much.

Also you need to delete the maf pid from scanner so your timing plots correctly.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 10-09-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Tuner
    No intercooler at all. Its a V3 Vortech.
    Ok cheers, ile try removing some timing

Advanced Tuner
    You should really put an intercooler on it.

Tuner
    Are those meth kits as good as they say ?

Advanced Tuner
    I recently watched a video where they tested it out and they got some decent amont of power out of it and some drop in temps. Still i would run an intercooler though and adding some meth too at WOT.

Few things to look for as I'm not looking at the log or tune. Is there any knock retard? Could have burst knock, could be actual knock retard, or the blower could be causing false knock as well. Is torque management retarding the timing? I have seen total timing at -8*(comanding about 12) so TM would pull 20 degrees and the car would literally fall on it's face between shifts.

I had an un-intercooled blower car and it would reach IATs of about 240 degrees after some light hooning and a full pass on a 60* night. After I added water/meth was hot lapping the car on a 100 degree day up down the road and IATs never got above 125 while in boost, granted the blower would heat soak and the IATs would rise right after the pass but that wasn't too relevant.

Tuner
    Ive had many late nights trying to work this out and studying the tune and comparing others.
    I originally zeroed the minimum spark retard table without thinking which meant that it just went to full retard under and duress.
    I have since set that to 10 degrees at wot and 15 at part throttle.
    Woke the car up like you wouldnt believe , plus i am now getting up to 4 degrees knock retard in the histogram now so i can now adjust my high octane table accordingly

Tuner
    Air intake was half in the engine bay and half out, modified that so its 100pc sucking air from outside the engine bay ang got intake temp down by nearly 10 degrees celsius