Thread: Traction control off after cam install

Potential Tuner

Traction control off after cam install

Hi guys, looking for a little help.
    About a year ago i got a retune done on my car, engine and transmission. Very happy with the results so added a over the radiator cold air intake and a touch up retune. Again very happy. I caught the power bug and decided to get a cam and retune done by the same guy that done my previous work (he's a good guy and knows his stuff, uses HPT).
    Got my tuner guy to install a 228/232 cam along with the retune needed and ended up with 266rwkw so was happy with the result and drive-ability. However 10 minutes after picking up the car for the 2 hour journey home i was at a set of lights and noticed that the traction control had turned off. The only way i could get it back on was to pull over and turn the car off and restart it and traction control would be on.
    I contacted him when i got home about the issue but he assured me that nothing he would have done would effect the traction control. So over the last few months i have had the car scanned by a Tech2 scanner 3 times, swapped out the T/C button with a new one. And taken it to a auto electrician but haven't been able to figure out why T/C is turning off at random.
    So i did some Google searching and found that there have been other people with the same issue as me with T/C turning off at random after a cam install and retune.
    The easiest way to get the car to randomly turn the T/C off is when i first start the car and select drive without my foot being on the brake hard or when i am crawling along at slow speeds and you get that shunt from the cam.
    Not sure if it is related but i have noticed that the gear changes are harsh.
    Research also tells me,thanks in no small part to a gentlemen on another forum, that HPT released a patch for the LS2 for what seems to be this same issue. Is there a sollution for this problem that i can talk to my tuner about?

Engine mods include: extractors, performance exhaust, cold air intake over the radiator, 228/232 cam, transmission cooler, performance retune.
    Last edited by NU13; 10-07-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Have him check the TPS to airflow correlation tables. Also check if he tuned the VE at all, sometimes when the car doesn't see the expected airflow to compare a certain TPS it thinks that something is wrong and can trigger TCS issues.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the responce. I'll ask him to check that.

Advanced Tuner
    Would be nice to know what kind of car this is.......

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSnova View Post
    Would be nice to know what kind of car this is.......
    Yeah sorry....talk about omitting basic information!

It's a 2004 VY2 SS GM Holden Commodore. Basically it's a tuned and cammed gen3 LS1.