Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Random misfire, possibly injectors? (warning, long post, I’m desperate)

Advanced Tuner

Random misfire, possibly injectors? (warning, long post, I’m desperate)

I’m fairly certain I have at least one, and possible three injectors that just don’t want to behave. I’ve been chasing a random misfire for three years now. I know cylinder 3 is misfiring up to four times as often as the others from logging misfire history. But, others also show a significantly higher number of misfires, and it appears to be totally random in nature, as some logs have completely different misfire events. I put together a spread sheet to compare logs, and some logs show more events than cylinders during the previous logs, while other cylinders show fewer than previous logs.

As stated, the missfire is random. No rhyme or reason. Definitely a misfire, and not just surge or reversion. Above 2500 rpm, there is none and the engine smooths out. It feels like I have a burlap bag filled with clothing being dragged behind the car and it just kinda bounces along behind the car at an erratic pattern, but not nearly often enough to be reversion. The other thing that tells me it is a misfire, and not reversion, is I can hold a steady throttle position at 2200 rpm, it can still feel it. But it’s not missing every 100 milliseconds on the dot or any regular time period. I find it doubtful that I’d still feel reversion at 2200 rpm. The cam isn’t that big.

But anyway, not ruling out reversion, or anything at this point, I’ve done the following things to try and eliminate this.

I initially tried moving spark around from as low as 24 deg, to as high as 55 deg in the areas where this is occurring. Still there…. Tried matching all spark tables in this low rpm/low cylinder fill area of the table, no good. There are no spark dips that I can see on the logs. Spark is smooth as butter with no dips….

I logged voltage, and it was 14v, consistently.

I have checked all ground connections I can find, and they are tight.

Last spring I thought it might be a valve spring, so I checked them and they were all good. Found out the valve guides were toast, the combustion chambers and pistons were coated with burnt oil / carbon, so I thought that was the problem! I shipped the heads off and had them overhauled. G-damn miss is still there. NOOOOOOOO!!!

I have changed plug wires, changed three coil packs on the three worst offenders, changed plugs from NGK TR55’s to TR7’s to Denso IT22’s, and now back to the TR’7s. I’ve also changed plug gaps from as high as .050 to as low as .030. When I pull the plugs, they always look good, with none of them being noticeably different than the rest. None of that made any improvements.

Then I thought it might be turbulence between the FAST intake runners and head ports, so I port matched all of them…. While I had it apart, I thought it could be a vacuum leak, so I put all new seals in it. No change.

I then figured it must be fueling, so I recalibrated VE (I have the custom OP system). Every damn cell I can hit is under 2% error, with most under 1% now. That didn’t cure it.

So then I recalibrated MAF. MAF is not as good as the VE table, as the STFT error was a moving target at any rpm under about 2500. I thought I might have a bad sensor, so I changed it out with a new sensor. That didn’t do any good.

MAF error is now under 2% if I’m in a lower gear, higher revs, but it goes to crap the first half of the low table in fourth or higher. Not real sure if that can be resolved with a cam that has as much overlap as mine does.

The car had a K&N CAI, so I swapped that out with a MF103 with beehive, thinking the MAF forward design might help. That did not help.

I then thought it might be a flaky O2 sensor, so I changed them out with some new NTK sensors. No change.

I have checked the engine and exhaust for vacuum leaks with smoke. No smoke sucking anywhere.

Then I thought it could be the TB, as a “tuner” ported the OE 92mm TB. So I sent that out to VMax and had Pete re-work it with his CNC program. No change.

I installed a VMax velocity ring, no change.

I changed EOIT to spray later, after the exh valve shut. This did not help the miss, but did help the idle fuel smell.

I have moved injectors around a couple times, during all the intake manifold and head work. The misfire events seam to occur more frequently (according to the logs) with the four center cylinders than the outer four. I have to admit though, I have not actually took note of which injector got moved around. So I suppose, it is possible that I have reinstalled the injectors in the same holes each time, possibly….

I’m running out of things to change. The injectors I’m running are from FIC. They are new Bosch, 60 pound LS7 injectors.. They were supplied with all the data for the injector tables and I have verified that I input the data correctly. I’m at a loss what else to look at, other than possibly the injectors themselves.

If I’m going to buy new injectors, again, I figured I’d try these ID’s, as sooooo many people think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

What is so different from the ID’s than any other brand? If you have the correct data for the tune, what makes these so much better, and also, so much more expensive?

I am hitting about 67% duty cycle with the 60’s. I do not know how to interpret the flow rates on the ID’s. Would the 725’s be the size I need, based on the duty cycle I am seeing with the 60 pound Bosch injectors?

I have a FAST 102 and am using the LS2 fuel rail and injector spacers. (I have also swapped out the FAST spacers with spacers that go between the injector and the rail, with no improvement either). Which injector do I want to get that would allow me to get rid of the spacers? LS2 injectors?

And lastly, is there something else I should check before screwing around with the injectors?

The car is going into storage here real soon. I have a couple months to ponder this. I’d like to have a game plan and parts on hand before I get the car back out of storage, so I can actually drive the damn thing for once. It’s either that or I’m buying a viper, and leaving it STOCK!
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like you have tried everything possible. I once had a misfire issue because the wires to the coils got crushed under the coil brackets. Really don't see anything you haven't checked.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    Well that's depressing..... Thanks anyway.

I did check the leads to the coils and injectors. Unbraided all of them and looked for any obvious kinks or abrasions, re-routed as best that I could (I have relocated coil brackets and taller rocker covers to clear the Crower rail rockers). Nothing jumped out at me.

I'm still wondering why the MAF is so damn flaky at lower rpms and if that has something to do with it.

Then there are the injectors themselves. But crap, that's another grand to throw away if it isn't the problem.

Post up the tune and a log of the problem occuring.

What are the cam specs? What size maf? Do you have a screen in it?

Gotta know details to try and help

Advanced Tuner
    What would you suggest I log so I can set up a config for it? Part of this problem that I’m struggling with, is I don’t see anything funky in the logs. The last config I whittled down a lot of the PID’s in the table so I could log misfire history and current. It looks like I might have a day with dry roads, so I could go for a drive and log whatever you suggest.

MAF is the knife style, 08 Z06 vette. No screen.

235/255 @.050 113 lsa, 110 LC, .660/.670

Are you tuning the MAF/VE with a wideband or with Fuel Trims?

Post up the tune so can see what you have there and possibly spot something. Also, looks like those injectors flow 60lb/hr @ 3 bar so if you're running stock GM pressure of 58PSI they're closer to 70lb/hr.

Does this condition occur in SD mode? MAF only mode? or Blended?

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated. It would be good to get an opinion on the file, to see if something stupid stands out at least....

I initially calibrated open loop with my WB, all VE modifiers set to 1, then moved to closed loop STFT's, with LTFT's disabled. I kinda figure that if the ECU references the O2's and trims, I should polish off the cal with STFT error.

Interesting comments on the injector rate. I did not catch that. I was under the impression that you could not adjust fuel pressure? Do you think that could be causing some funkiness?

Yes, this misfire does not care if I'm running SD or MAF. I even tried running OL, with a 14.0 AFR target and it was still present. It does smooth out above 2500, which would suggest reversion, but it doesn't FEEL like reversion. In fact, I could take a video of the tach, with sound, and BS anyone into believing the engine is running smoothly.

The VE table looks funky about 85 MAP or so, cause I had to build it from scratch and can't collect data in all the cells. So no fair laughing....
    Attached Files Attached Files

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...p?productid=25 Are these the Injectors you have?

Stock you can't adjust fuel pressure, but you have to insert the flow rate compensated to our fuel pressure. 99% of injectors are advertised at their flow rate at 3 bar (43.5 psi). Since a vette has 58 PSI you have to convert that advertised flow rate to match that. That turns these 60lb INJ into 69.28lb/hr injectors. (I'm assuming you have a vette based off the file ID) Since you're inj flow rate is off, the airflow isn't accurately modeled since the fuel calculations aren't accurate.

That certainly isn't helping you.

I don't have the IVC and data from your cam, but it looks like it has a significant amount of overlap. MAF & VE should definitely be tuned with a wideband since the narrowbands will see the fresh o2 in the exhaust from the overlap as a lean condition and have you add unnecessary fueling.

On that note, there's also a chance that your wideband was reading falsely lean at low rpms where you're having your issues and that you actually have too much fuel. Try pulling fuel out via the bi-directional controls in vcm scanner while you're experiencing the misfire and see if it gets any better.

Also, if you can get a log and config file of the event happening as long as possible. Log MAF airflow & Hz, VE, Map & related, dynamic cyl air, spark advance, your wideband, iat, ect, etc. Do this in Open loop, also looks like you have LTFT's enabled, make sure to clear any fuel trims first.

Also, make sure the last cell of the MAF low table matches the first cell of the MAF high table.

For the sake of testing, set the spark table in the area where you're having issues to one single value to rule that out. Something like 25-30*.

May possibly be an injector but try the following and see if it improves.

1. Where the trouble spot is, add .01 to the entire rpm range in static retard. It will cull power just slightly, do it across all cyclinders.
    2. Engine Torque Airmass A, try adding 1% to the table
    3. Low idle airflow minimum table remove 1%
    4. Add 3% to the transient impact factor table.

See if thats any better or worse, its too hard to comment without a log. Things like this need to be studied any not via histogram level. Sometimes timing needs to change according to certain temps to produce diff air to fuel ratios....... leaning out the spot usually helps and look at the ve mat compensator for the custom os, that solved a few probs for me....

Tuning is time consuming. I had an injector go about 50,000km's ago..... Just one, and it was normally lean somewhat, when the injector just randomly shit itself it went super rich causing massive fast misfires on the cyclinder and obviously didnt run.

So i dont know, but its some idea's or you. I have an odd surge im trying to remove at 1600rpm......... at ONLY certain temps the AFR fluctuaes between 14.3 and 16 virtually causing a rich lean surge in torque I have mostly go this under control now via adjusting heaps of different things in the varying temps.

Do you have mismatched headers? So all the cylinders arnt of equal efficiency?
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 10-10-2014 at 04:25 AM.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Advanced Tuner
    These are the injectors.... http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...p?productid=39

So I reckon the first thing to do is to change the injector flow rate table. Mine is set to 60 at 58 psi. The max I can input is 63.5, so how do you get around that?

Cut IFR in half, double the stoich, and cut the IVT terms in half (need the latest 2.24 for this)

If it is missing that bad wouldn't the WB show lean? Do you see when it goes into it's missing act the WB or O2's show lean? If they are still acting normal it may not be a true misfire.

Advanced Tuner
    I did not notice any lean spikes when I had the WB installed and logged.

Well you guys have given me some things to check / change. I'll try re-scaling the injector flow rate first. Not sure if I can do that this year or not. Weather is not cooperating.

Here is the last log I took. I did not have the WB installed. This was after a new flash. I basically just tweaked idle air and enabled LTFT's, and put the car back into normal operation and got it ready for winter storage. The trims settle down after about ten minutes. I had to remove a few things in the table, as I added misfire history for each cylinder.

Seat to seat overlap of this cam is 73 deg. IVO - 34.5 / EVC - 38.5

10_03_14_final test.hpl

this prob doesn't help too much, but my last car, 1996 TA 570whp, larger cam, never would run right in closed loop, low RPM, light load as you describe... it would start off fine after a fresh flash, be nice and torquey and responsive, then slowly lean itself out to the point it would missfire and buck randomly under light load somewhat like you describe, though everything was reading fine ~14.6AFR. Took a while to realize it wasn't cam reversion, since it would run great in open loop right after flashing. Eventually I just ran open loop all the time. With the newer ECU's, this can be adjusted. Maybe someone suggested this allready... run around in open loop... playing with fueling.. add a little fuel, take away a little fuel see if you notice a difference.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Hi Sir, I think you have searched too far.

Yhe tune posted above have stock table in misfire section Cylinder mode and SCD mode.

Increase them 25 - 50% and this probleme should goes away.

In my senses they are not thrue misfire, and a big cam like this REQUIRED a tweak on those tables.

I hope this help.

BTW ID 725 are the one you need for you'Re application.

Sebastien
    '08 Black Z06
    PCM Tuned, LG super RAM, AR Headers, Hoosier DR2 295-55-15, MSD Atomic air force intake, Iceman 7.0 cam

Best N/A E.T. : 8.836
    Best N/A Mp/h : 159.75
    DA for this pass: 0'

Advanced Tuner
    I have been travelling the past few weeks, spending money in Cali wine country....

Bast - I don't understand your post. Are you referring to the misfire DTC tables, that log/report misfire? If so, I have intentionally lowered them from where I had them in order to log misfire events.

The misfire is real. I can FEEL it. I just can't seem to find it in any of my log files, well, other than the misfire events. And if anyone has ever logged misfire events, then they know how random that is.... It is not very helpful.

I have the car in winter storage now. As soon as spring comes along, and the ice leaves the roads, I'll carry on with the tweaking and follow some of the advice / tips that you guys have suggested so far.

I may just suck it up and buy a set of those ID's. ..... I don't mind spending money, but hate wasting it.

Advanced Tuner
    Time to experiment again……

I bought some new injectors. They are new 58# at 58psi Bosch injectors, and they came with correct data and a flow report. I had to completely re-work VE and MAF.

Unfortunately, the miss is still present. Time to play with the suggestions that BigDaddy offered above. I have also ordered some MSD coils and the MSD harness. I may just give that a whirl to rule out coil issues. I know these coil packs do not have a great reputation, but after some research, there appears to have been some supplier issues with these coils that supposedly, has been resolved.

I think I need to revisit MAF cal too, and disable STFT’s and just calibrate with the wide band. MAF STFT error was all over the damn place. ERROR would be positive higher gears, same cell; and negative in low gears. I ended up averaging the ERROR from the histogram using 2, 3, 4 gears and applying that to the curve. Is it common to see such a varied STFT error like this in different gears?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    Time to experiment again……

I bought some new injectors. They are new 58# at 58psi Bosch injectors, and they came with correct data and a flow report. I had to completely re-work VE and MAF.

Unfortunately, the miss is still present. Time to play with the suggestions that BigDaddy offered above. I have also ordered some MSD coils and the MSD harness. I may just give that a whirl to rule out coil issues. I know these coil packs do not have a great reputation, but after some research, there appears to have been some supplier issues with these coils that supposedly, has been resolved.

I think I need to revisit MAF cal too, and disable STFT’s and just calibrate with the wide band. MAF STFT error was all over the damn place. ERROR would be positive higher gears, same cell; and negative in low gears. I ended up averaging the ERROR from the histogram using 2, 3, 4 gears and applying that to the curve. Is it common to see such a varied STFT error like this in different gears?
    please let me know what you find ....

Tuning Addict
    This is kinda an "out there" question, but seeing that you installed a cam, did you also "fit" your pushrods or I guess install proper length pushrods? Also wondering if your cam was degreed properly? THEN did you use any AM rockers such as a shaft conversion? Those seem to always require rather shorter pushrods.

Really thinking with your misfires being under 2k that you have a volumetric efficiency issue. In other words valves possibly not fully seating. This will show as no misses with increase in rpm's due to better pumping efficiency and could also explain drastic fuel trim changes. If you have access to a cylinder leakage tester, put in in the one cylinder that's showing more misses than the rest at TDC compression stroke (cylinder 3 I'm assuming) then pressure test the cylinder and see where the airs going... Just make sure to set your leak tester to 100psi before hooking it up to the cylinder so you can get an accurate measurement. Don't know how many times I've seen that done wrong and people wonder why it's only showing 5% leakage when it's actually got 30% or better

Just not entirely sure if it's a tune issue from what your describing.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmmmm…… I have not done a leak down test on this, but certainly can. Rings and cylinder crosshatch looked very good, so I didn’t bother..

I had the pedestals milled and installed Crower rail rockers on the heads this go around. Morel link bar lifters, custom length rods from Smith Brothers, and I verified .060” pre-load on every single valve. But I do completely agree with your assessment. Lots of DIY’ers screw up pushrod length. I wish I had made a simple rooky mistake, but not this time….(not saying I don’t from time to time though).

I also installed the MSD coil packs (with the direct 12V harness). Didn’t help the miss, but it they most definitely helped idle! Idle trims have NEVER looked this good. Not worth the $500 bucks though…..

I also swapped out the 90mm TB with a NW 102 last weekend. Re-calibrated idle air and idle spark….. no help with the <2000 rpm misfire.

I’m beginning to think this cam is just too aggressive to get rid of this misfire, but damn…..lots of folks are running more overlap and “claim” the engine runs smooth as butter under 2000 rpm. I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel.

I’m also running a catch can, and the intake floor did not have any oil on it.

I do not have the WB hooked up at this moment, but will take one more log and post it later, along with my latest rev tune file. I’m willing to pay someone at this point, cause I’m all out of ideas.

If I have to stab a smaller cam in this thing, the engine is coming out and I’ll go through it completely, and probably just buy a set of the new Trick Flow castings and have them worked over a bit with Ti intake and exhaust valves. Whittling the swirl dam down to nothing on these OE heads probably isn’t helping matters much.