Thread: what am I missing here... torque management killing me somehow?

what am I missing here... torque management killing me somehow?

not sure why this vehicle does this

attached tune and data log

at WOT, I get all sorts of torque management(or what visually looks like torque management), but everything is disabled in the tune...
    not sure where its coming from and could use a second set of eyes.

also, I did not do the original tune... I'm just the guy trying to solve the issue that it is currently having.

Torque management maybe- all disabled in tune.hpl
    08 silverado torque management edits.hpt
    Last edited by S2H; 10-03-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    -Scott -

I have the same problem but in park with a similar ECM. Try logging "ETC Tqmgt type" "Fuel cut Tqmgt type" and "Spark Tdmgt type" in the table display. All of my problems point towards Transmission TQMGT that doesn't exist in HPT.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

Advanced Tuner
    WOW that looks wicked , Im not sure its TQ mangment though , It appears more TPS related. Did you adjust the opening rates or anything else with the throttle? Maybe the ETC Limit ?

Or is it not the stock Throttle body ?

I know some guys had a Traction control/ stable trak issue on 07 TBSS trucks when they zerod out abuse mode, they ended up setting all the cells to 1 besides the first 3 . But this looks different looking at your log
    Last edited by Maxspeed96ct; 10-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.

stock 4.8L motor, Stock TB...stock everything...
    customer wants us to figure out the issue before he sticks in a 6.0L and a built transmission.

but we cant figure out where the issue is coming from
    -Scott -

Your ETC tip in % is still .10% but that never gave me any problems. Log the previously mentioned things in the Table display. I'm more curious to see if you are having the same problems as me.
    2008 Pontiac G5 2.2L (main oil seal became a crunchy Autumn leaf, RIP)
    2016 Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost - Project "not-so-detestable"

it only does it at WOT.......
    no issues at part throttle
    so tip in would not be the issue
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Accel Thresh zero out. Then your Diagnostic Test and POO68 I would do some change in that area, also ETC Tip-in Torque Limit put back to stock.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    as stated you need to log the tq mngt type pids, the generic tq mngt pids only go so far and really don't nail down much at all.

Advanced Tuner
    I have p0068 disabled on my truck

From the few Cars & trucks i've done Tq mgmt always pull timing, but TPS stays at 100%, .

Though ive never done a silverado that new .

Depending on how modded the truck is - If I were you, Id compare another stock 08 silverado file and start from scratch on the truck your doing .

I'm not a big fan of maxing out every TM table in a tune. I have heard stories about how that can cause more problems. TM can be tuned to the vehicle setup. Did you slowly disable everything in an attempt to fix this problem. What are the mods to the truck? Did you change the tire sizes? I have seen tire size changes cause all kinds of havoc with the ABS system.....

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Under Trans> TQmgt> Abuse Mode> Leave the two tables stock NEVER zero out on car or truck That's what is pulling timing ( Torque Reduction, Reduction Duration ) Leave both tables in Stock form.
    JRXTuning & Performance
    Fort Worth Texas
    [email protected]

2011 CTSV https://youtu.be/WUuGxYNfJjk
    2008 GMC Sierra 5.7, Nitrous Outlet 200shot, 4.10 gears (Sold)
    2007 GMC Sierra 4.8 4/7 drop, Tune only
    2007 CTS-V BTR STG4,TFS225,MSD Airforce,102NW TB

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGMC08 View Post
    Under Trans> TQmgt> Abuse Mode> Leave the two tables stock NEVER zero out on car or truck That's what is pulling timing ( Torque Reduction, Reduction Duration ) Leave both tables in Stock form.
    These two tables affect the Gen IV NNBS Silverado in a big way. LEAVE THEM STOCK!!! I battled for a couple weeks before realizing I forgot that I changed this table (Transmission Torque Management-->Abuse Mode settings). I multiplied Torque Reduction and Duration by 50% chasing my tail on the other problem. I noticed an odd dead pedal feeling on a startup unrelated to cold or warm start with strange timing dips at cruise rpm's, higher partial rpm shift points above what was set in the tune, and when it was in this mode (which was not always the case because it was completely random), If you floored it, it would go into PE and WOT with correct spark, but would feel like a dog. It did so even though PCM would only allow throttle to partially open at about 40-50% so I was getting all the timing, fueling, PE, and WOT but at a smaller blade opening. Get to a stop, plug in scanner, and problem goes away when I logged, and I never shut the engine off. I thought I was nuts, but knew something didn't feel right. It's like you told it you wanted to put a move on with the pedal, but you had to come to a complete stop before it would put you in the mode to let you. As long as you were moving, It would do the same thing no matter how many times you punched it. I logged everything and determined it was Torque Mgmt Advance coming from Trans.
    Put those tables back to stock and runs great now...so relieved. I don't know that there is any benefit to changing those tables.

I have tuned a handful of other GM cars and trucks, but this NNBS Gen IV is a booger. My first attempt with reducing torque management for the shifts was a disaster. I zeroed out TM for the shifts and a few other changes, and it bucked and surged, TCS light on, Stabilitrak error, so I started over and left 60% trans TM and quickened the shifts. The WOT bucking went away. It was doing just what yours was at WOT.

1) My recommendation is start with 50% TM from the shifts (This is zeroed out in tune you posted)
    2) Return Abuse Mode-->Torque Reduction table back to 100 in all cells (This is zeroed out in tune you posted)
    3) Return Torque Mgmt Duration back to stock and leave (This is zeroed out in tune you posted)
    4) Don't monkey with Throttle position mapping for better pedal feel and return it to stock (didn't have stock tune to compare yours with, so this may be OK in your tune) This will also cause odd behavior.

If you still have odd behavior, compare with a stock file and return TM back to stock in all areas and work from there. Killing all TM by zeroing out these tables on Gen IV E38 causes random unexpected behavior.

You can zero out all of the above on a Gen III GM V8 and it operates as intended without failure other than maybe a blown trans lol.
    Last edited by brandong007; 02-23-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    2007 NNBS Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Z71 VortecMAX (L76) / Stock Everything / Airaid M.I.T using stock box / 93 octane tuned by me 22*-25* timing / 0-60 mph 6.8 sec - Coming Soon: Longtubes, exaust, vette servo

2004 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Z71 4WD / swapped 5.3 / Beefed up 4L60e / 2800 stall / dual 2.5" exhaust / 24" Magnaflow / 93 Octane tuned by me /w Wideband 25*-28* timing - SOLD!

TexasGMC08 and brandong007, I just wanted to thank you for this post. This just ended months of frustration. I had an issue with my timing taking a dive any time I went from park to drive and drove a few feet, if I came to a stop and sat there for a few seconds it would clear it self up and not happen again until I went back to park then drive. It was embarrassing being in parking lot and firing it up, motor heads would turn to look and I would sputter away until I came to that complete stop.

I returned TM tables back to stock and the problem is now gone, I went back to see which table did it and I only have to change the Torque Mgmt Duration back to stock still leaving zero % for the amount for all the amount of reductions.

Someone shared their log everything timing related cfg and there it was plain as day Torque Mgt Advance going haywire, 30 minutes Googling and viola this thorn in my side seems to be gone.

I hope it doesn't grow back by morning.

Sincerely

Paul
    2003 Escalade ESV, 408, 2.9 Whipple, Dragonslayer, Compstar I-Beams, Wiseco 20cc, PRC LS3/L92 Heads, 231/242 .617".610" 113, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8 LT's, 4L80e, Circle D Triple Disk 2400, SFI Flexplate, Custom 3" Dual Exhaust, LS3 Harness E38/T42 Controllers, ZR-1 MAP, Chiller System

SemperFi

Awesome! Glad to save someone else some headache. Anyone have a solution to another issue?

I have AFM v4 tweaked to get great economy but it's a wash in some ways because when it switches from v4 to v8, timing bottoms out and instant reads way low and then works its way back up.

Example: v4 AFM GETTING 30mpg..switches to v8 and timing dips and economy goes to 8 before creeping back to 15mpg. If it never switched the mpg would read 15 steady on the same stretch of road.

The dip in timing at the switch caused by some TM KILLS power requiring more pedal air and fuel. Any ideas on where to kill that TM dip switching from v4 to v8? I can post a log with all Tm logged.