Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E85 FlexFuel Conversion, 2012 Chevy Volt, 2012 Cruze Eco

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by transamb View Post
    Attachment 65849

hi mr Comment
    i have a 2012 chevy volt , but with the difference , its a euro version , we have 4 drive modes 1 normal 2 sport 3 mountain 4 hold , i will include my stock file , so you can see there are some differences , i hope you like it , it can be interesting /useful 4 u , over here we also have different fuel , 95/98 oct of gas
    you will see some thing are different from us version
    I took a look through your image file, interesting differences to the Aussie version, I see the Hybrid Minimum RPM is 0 were mine is 1400, I might try this as mine revs to much when driving at low speeds.

We tried using lower idle speeds and were never successful. I had hope to get closer to 1200 and we changed it in several places and no change.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TownDrunk View Post
    We tried using lower idle speeds and were never successful. I had hope to get closer to 1200 and we changed it in several places and no change.
    I tried this over the past 2 days on my Aussie model and it works great, car so much quieter, the ICE used to engage and hold at 1400 far to long before shutting off, now at cruising speed it seems to run at a way lower rpm, I also noticed the Ampera had 0 for its torque settings at lower rpm, I also applied this as well, my fuel consumption on my daily commute has dropped from an average of 7ltrs used to only 5ltrs.

I can't say what effect it will have on your Flex fuel setups, I'm not even going to attempt to try this as we only have one company in WA (http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au) that sells e10 and e85 blends of fuel, and I would use half a tank to get anywhere near one.

If any of you have some advice on what to alter in order to effectively use the lower octane fuels like the 91 RON I would most appreciative. I'm using the 98 RON as that is what is recommended, and I think this is a waste of money, these cars are not cammend out 6ltr Cevy V8's.

Something else I have been playing with, is external tyre diameters, going to low profile tyre's has a huge effect on performance, I tried larger diameters first and it destroys economy and performance, but going to a smaller diameter tyre, like 215/35R18 yields snappy acceleration and better range, it puts the speed out by about more than 12kms but a quick recal with HPtuners fixes that.

Tuner in Training
    im happy you could use my tune to improve your volt
    for the 91ron fuel , if us take 4degrees off the hi and low spark it should be fine , and take a look at the knock sensor , if u still have knock take an extra 2 deg off
    let me know if it works i did it on mine 4 95 ron with 2 deg les spark and it runs fine

Laz ported the tune from a 2014 Chevy Silverado V8 FFV pickup to our Volts (Volterado) and was testing it with the E70 already in his tank, had nearly zero knock, was running a lot more timing than stock and was getting about 38 mpg, which is pretty darn good considering most vehicles lose about 15% with E70 and our Volts are only rated for 37 mpg. I'm hoping we can get into the low 40's for mileage on E10. It also has more torque and I no longer see loads higher than about .38 where I was easily into .40+ on cold days. We think the VVT cam changes are much better on this tune and give the improved mileage. If it proves to be a solid tune, I'm hoping MrComment will tweak the VE and MAP on this tune as well.

I've had trouble with some of the mods on my '12 Volt that work great on his '15. I wonder if updating the OS on my Volt would help.

Wow, Laz is getting 44 mpg on E10 with his latest (Volterado) tune and 38 mpg on E70. This tune has so much potential.

Laz thinks he may have fixed Knock Learn, which was broken on stock (the HO table was always used on stock) and thought we had it enabled, but turns out the knock learn timer cycle on the Volt is about 2 minutes long when it should be closer to 4 to 6 hours.

Just need to fix a few show stoppers before we can start on tuning it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by transamb View Post
    im happy you could use my tune to improve your volt
    for the 91ron fuel , if us take 4degrees off the hi and low spark it should be fine , and take a look at the knock sensor , if u still have knock take an extra 2 deg off
    let me know if it works i did it on mine 4 95 ron with 2 deg les spark and it runs fine
    When I'm I have some time I will look into this, at the moment I have ben jacking up the timing advance as its set pretty conservative.

Can any of you guys help with the speed limiter? no matter what I do the car go's into reduced propulsion mode at 160kph, really Annoying when trying to overtake road trains (really long trucks) here in the AU, I have reduced my wheel diameter so the car accelerates extremely fast, I have recalibrate the speedo to suit, it flies like a bat out of hell all the way up to 160 then it just Halts.

Now I can put the speedo out sync and clock higher speeds by checking via gps, but once the Dash reads 160kph, its game over, I could just leave it like this, but I'm sure it will mess up the trip computer.

The new tune (Volterado) is working well with mileage easily into the low to mid 40's mpg on E10. We should be done with E10 by the end of the week and plan to start tuning with higher octane blends, possibly premium fuel to tune the high octane table.

Knock learn works, but if the engine isn't running, treats it like absence of knock and eventually will return to all the timing in the HO table. But as long as the engine is running (like at highway speeds) works well. Still much better than stock.

We have discussed and see no reason to not release our Volterado tune to this forum. See this thread for details: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ne-(Volterado)
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 02-18-2017 at 10:05 PM.