Thread: New NGK AFX, Free air cal?

Advanced Tuner

New NGK AFX, Free air cal?

I just got a new AFX with the NTK sensor last night. Was about to set it up and start playing.

Free air display is 20.0 I figured I'd go through the free air cal steps to get 20.9 Can't seem to get the damn thing to go into calibration mode. Manual says to turn it on and let it warm up for 60 seconds, then turn it off, and then turn it back on again. When you turn it back on, hold the button down on the display for 3 seconds and it goes into cal mode. I've done that a couple times and it does not go into cal mode. I must screwing this up somehow.

I'm also wondering how you guys set your AFX up to "turn it on/off. Or more specifically, do you install a toggle switch at the display, or just unplug it from the display? I have the power wires ran to my battery posts and was thinking about installing a toggle at the display.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

You're supposed to use a relay not direct to the battery post, you find a 12v switched source, then ground --preferably to the engine block, the hook up your constant 12 v to the battery or fuse box.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure what difference that would make, cause I still need to get the damn thing in cal mode.

The instructions say it is preferable to go direct to the battery, and that I "can" go through a relay. I may do that, but for the time being, I'm sticking with the battery.

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like you got the AFRM, not the AFX??? AFX won't read in the 20's...

Advanced Tuner
    I figured it out. The AFX maxes out at 20. Duuuuu

To get it to cal, need to push the button while it does its count down.

HPT setup was kinda weird though. Had to use an offset. .5 - 4.5 range was not even close.

Love the speed and no-fuss of this thing. My LC1 was always flaky.

The built in AFR pid for the NGK AFX is for the old controller. I did a custom slope from 0.5 to 4.5 and mine is spot on. You might want to double check grounding points.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. I set up a "user defined" PID. When I plot .5V and the range of 11, the table reading was something like two whole points higher than the AFX readout. I know the AFX digital gauge reports 14.5 for stoic, so I was trying to get HPT to show 14.7. I ended up with the custom slope set to .36V and 7.8. That brought the HPT table reading pretty close to the AFX, plus .2

I dunno, figured I'd mess with it some more as I get time. I only had a couple hours to screw with it yesterday. I need to surf this site a bit I think….

And before anyone starts preaching lambda, STOP. I’m not interested. I like AFR. I understand AFR. I am not a software engineer, and I do not live in the world of zero’s and one’s. Lambda “1” means nothing to me. 14.7/1 means something to me.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah, you don't have an AFX...so AFX stuff won't work right. You have an AFRM. AFX range is 9.00-16.00:1. AFRM is 9.00-20.00:1.

Pick NTK AFRM instead of NGK AFX for the built in stuff in HPTuners...should work fine.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    dstek gave me the numbers and they work perfect. I did not notice an option for this device in HPT? I'll look again. This version is new. I actually called NGK yesterday to get some info on this little bugger. There are two guys who work in the tech department. The guy who knows this particular meter out of the office until next Monday. The guy I spoke to did say the manual in under revision.

These are the correct numbers for the HPTuners custom offset: 0.3636 / 7.625

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
    dstek gave me the numbers and they work perfect. I did not notice an option for this device in HPT? I'll look again. This version is new. I actually called NGK yesterday to get some info on this little bugger. There are two guys who work in the tech department. The guy who knows this particular meter out of the office until next Monday. The guy I spoke to did say the manual in under revision.

These are the correct numbers for the HPTuners custom offset: 0.3636 / 7.625
    Make sure you have a fairly new build of 2.24...just download it and reinstall it on top of your current version. The built in AFRM was added not too long ago.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    Sonofabitch...... I had no idea there was a new build.... grrrrrr

I downloaded 2.24 and there it is. NTK_AFRM

Now I'm wondering if I screwed up and bought the wrong damn meter. Has anyone tested this sensor for accuracy?

There is the NGK AFX and the NTK AFRM.

AFX:

AFRM:

AFX measures from 9.0-16.0, while the AFRM is 9.0-20.0. As far as which is more accurate... Not sure. I use the AFX with good success. They will have different calibration voltages as mentioned above.

I did exactly what the instructions said to do and it worked fine. I also used the PID for NTK not NGK and it works great no offsets needed.

I've got the 2.24.649 version of the software but I yet dont see the NTK AFRM in there!

Care to share?