Thread: Powerhop feature on the E67 ecu with an automatic, what does it do and can it be used

Powerhop feature on the E67 ecu with an automatic, what does it do and can it be used

I was exploring some options for every day driving particularly in the winter under the traction control section on my 06 cobalt SS. Now if anyone knows the cobalt, you know that MOST of them do not have a button to disable the TCS. When I first started using HPT I manually disabled it via HPT because the TCS system in these car's is retarded. It doesnt limit power the way most car's normally do, it just turns your throttle off. I first experienced this in a cobalt LT in the winter time trying to get out of a snow pile, after 3 attempts to get the car moving, the car disabled the throttle all together and would not respond, and you had to wait 10 seconds for the throttle to reactivate.

Despite my 235 tires on 8 inch wheels, winter driving can sometimes be dangerous pulling out onto busy roads should the car decide to have a one wheel drive freak out. I've been looking at the TCS settings on the ECU and I was wondering if there was a way to dial back the traction control system so that it didnt just turn the cars throttle off when shredding the front right tire trying to pull out from a drive very quickly. I also noticed this "powerhop" feature down at the bottom, both of which have "via spark" as an option, the car has this enabled but powerhop disabled from the factory, and im hesitant to switch powerhop to "enabled". I'm not quite sure how the car would respond, or what this will actually try to do. Could this be the limited amount of traction control im looking for?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    power hop uses vss to verify wheel hop and cuts power until it goes away.
    after its gone it has a hard coded gain for recovery
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    power hop uses vss to verify wheel hop and cuts power until it goes away.
    after its gone it has a hard coded gain for recovery
    if it uses the VSS to very wheel hop, and the VSS uses the opposite wheel of the one thats spinning, would that defeat the purpose of having it on?

just get a limited slip diff and be done with it!
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    just get a limited slip diff and be done with it!
    lol when i have the money to rebuild the auto the way i want it, that will be the first thing

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the ecu reads each wheel independent by wheel unless you only have a output shaft speed sensor setup.
    if it sees one drive wheel speed up and slow down rapidly in multiple successions then it cuts power across the board. having one wheel driven while the other stays put like non lim slip, has no difference to the ecu since it fixes wheel hop by adjusting power to the crank and not each wheel independently.

i hope i answered the question
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

makes perfect sense, thanks