Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Florida Tuners

Hey Mechanicman, I loaded the modded file and it runs very rough and hard to log good data. I would like to know why when I accelerate past a certain throttle position I get a complete loss of power and the WB reads 9's until I let off completely and then slowly ease back?

2006 Escalade LMM Duramax Tuned
    2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L
    56 GMC 100 Status Unknown

Senior Tuner
    If your error config is working properly it should be telling you why. You are entering power enrichment but your ve table is wrong so your too rich. Go for a normal drive. Use your fuel trims, should be able to dial in a large driveability area. If it does go into pe/be use the wideband error. Dont just go out and stuff your foot into it, you gradually increase rpms as you dial it in.

I was gradually going up the map scale and right at 110kpa is when it fell off and wasn't really going for that high, just verifying the stft's were still pretty close which they were reading between -3 and 3. Only got that around 3500, them stopped the log and as I was driving back noticed it would do it at any rpm.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    From 0-2400 rpm the richest you should see is 12.5:1 unless you exceed 110 kpa. It gradually richesn to a max of 11.5:1 by 4000 rpm or 125 kpa. That is the richest you should see it, anything richer and your ve table is out.

I am assuming this, The table open loop EQ Ratio only goes to 110kpa, so does that mean that above 110kpa it goes closed loop? And if so where does it command the "AFR" from? It is not in need of answering just a curiousity question.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

On the other hand all of the drivability seems to be really good, the STFT's stay between 3 and -3 sometimes bounce to 5 quick then stabilize back to 2 or 3, so I feel okay about that. No to get the VE in line in the upper range, 105kpa and above I am really lost as I did not have any real data there when I did the 2bar swap, it looked like it generated generic numbers through the table. Do I leave the PE and BE enabled and how would I generate accurate readings for that range being as soon as I hit the 105-110kpa easing gently on the pedal it will just fall flat, almost like you shut it off and drop to 9's in the WB reading?

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    I am at race track for day, I'll look at your file later. If it's really that rich, take 10% out, then 5% each time until closer. Go cautiously. I'm guessing your wideband afr error not working? Cause if it is you use same way as stft, just follow what it tells you.

I don't know if this will show up but this is the Lambda error histogram.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

So here is a log that I just did after basically starting back at the tune prior to applying 2 bar. I adjusted a few things in PE and BE and noticed that when I first copied my VE table it had copied it to the above 110kpa rows and I must have multiplied by something like 1.5 or more and was probably why I was having the issue above 110kpa driving. I multiplied by very small amounts just so the table showed a gradual increase as it rose in kpa. This is probably the best it has run as it does not do the stall issue when letting of the throttle at slow speeds and the throttle response is 100 times better. I would like to get some thoughts and or input as to what more experienced tuners think, good or bad.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    Copy that ve table into the last tune I posted for you.

Okay will do when back, been driving around and noticed just two things, when I immediately let off the throttle it will dip a little rich and I am seeing the WB gauge read normal then suddenly starts going whacky back and fourth then 7.4 and flashes. I can shut it off and turn it right back on and it will start reading again. And just now it did it again then parked walked away for about ten minutes started driving again and it stayed flashing 7.4.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

So I applied my VE table to the file you posted and I get the same issue, drives good up to 34-35% throttle then dead rich and falls on its face, even when I hold it around 30% throttle in second gear till the rpms max out and as soon as I ease to the 35% falls off. If I load the tune I posted prior to your changes I can stomp the throttle from a dead stop and it will go good, other than my boost drops from 6 to 2 which I think is the wastegate spring. Please explain what would be causing this issue.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    Somewhere along the way your iat adder for power enrichment had 1 put into all the cells, I missed it. This was adding to the commanded afr and making you run 6:1 afr. Load this and try again.

Actually that is my fault, I zeroed it out in the other tune and completely overlooked it several times doing compare. I also disabled the LTFT on this one as you requested be done with the previously posted. I am going to do a simple write of the steps I used to get to the point where you started helping and keep it as a backup to double check myself. Okay so hopefully this is my final question as there is a lot of waved information when I search for the answer. I don't know if I fully understand the SD setup that you would run as a permanent tune, is it what you have changed in this file, disable STFT, LTFT, MAF, or is this the tuning settings to where you get everything dialed in then run what some are calling open loop SD, and STFT's are enable, or Closed Loop SD where just the LTFT's are enable. It all gets confusing as with the file I'm running on now everything is enabled and it runs pretty good. Will have to check out the new file tonight or tomorrow morning. I also scheduled some dyno time in the beginning of November and hope that any fine tuning can be dialed in and get a good number at the wheels (450hp would satisfy me for a few months). Thank You again
    Last edited by Cyrperformance; 09-24-2014 at 08:03 AM.

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    SD stands for speed density and refers to running off of the map sensor, maf is disabled. CLSD refers to closed loop and allowing the computer to make corrections to the fuel trims, you may have stft and ltft enabled or just stft. OLSD refers to open loop and having no corrections made, stft and ltft are not active.

Everyone has different preferances. I prefer to tune with stft in driveability area as I can get it dialed in very quickly. Your wideband will never agree with your narrow band perfectly so I use the stft as that is what will be active in the end.

Some like to leave the ltft active and add the stft and ltft together to tune.

Others will drive around until stft is 0 or close to it and use just the ltft to tune.

They all will ultimately work as long as you know what your doing.

You seem to have done well using just stft so I suggest you continue this way.

Okay Mechanicman, I am fairly confident with the progress over the last week. I have the truck running straight SD finally. It wants to come into boost pretty quick and I have been avoiding it holding boost until I have gotten a couple good logs to look through and watch the AFR and they line up really good before any PE or BE come in and are staying roughly close under enrichment. So with the STFT's left enabled the table above 110kpa goes all 0's which I am guessing this is normal? I am assuming this is where you would disable the STFT's and tune off the AFR error histogram, correct? The drivability is awesome without the MAF, throttle response is to me like having a perfectly jetted carb which I am really sold on this setup being right for this application. I have laid into it but it in a sense flat lines once it starts coming into boost which is where the guidance is needed as far as the afr error needs to be applied to the VE table correct?

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    afr error is same as stft, just not pcm derived. Apply the same way. Stft going 0's means you have left closed loop and gone into open loop, normal for entering pe/be.

Sweet, Thank You. I will let you know how I make out and will post numbers after dyno runs early November. Again Thank You!

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Okay so I was wrong, it will not run in what I think is SD. I went through and double checked all settings to make sure they were disabled and found again I had left STFT enabled. Set to disable and it will start for about 5 seconds then die, no stuttering just die. If I keep my foot on the throttle a bit it will start, rev up a little then stumble slightly and die. Don't get it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2000 S10 Twin Turbo 6.0L

Senior Tuner
    Go to post 8, download the tune I made for you, read my comments, compare the above tune. I think you will figure it out. I am not going to tell you cause you keep making the same mistake, need to see it with your own eyes i think.

Also, take all your old tunes, stick them in folder and quit looking at them. I think your confusing yourself.