Thread: Tune won't write

Tuner in Training

Tune won't write

May not an HPT problem, but throwing this out here to see if others have had this problem.

Last night at the track I went to write a different tune and it made it through erase and about 40% into the write sequence when the car "rebooted" -- the lights flashed off and back on and the tune stopped writing. Tried again and similar problem, but only made it about 15%.

I had a similar problem once before and it acted like the battery was weak so I threw it on a battery tender and it solved the problem previously. Last night even hooked up to someone else's car like I'm getting a jump it wouldn't finish writing. It timed out/"rebooted" at various times through the write process, sometimes even during the erase it gave up.

Am I correct in assuming it's just a battery (I have a new battery I'll be driving up and replacing tonight), or is it something else?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if the voltage fluctuates you will cause a flash cancel operation. always flash with a battery charger when available.
    chances are if your battery died or voltage fluctuated bad enough during a flash period you have officially bricked your ecu.
    keep purchasing a new ecu in your mind as a possibility, that way your not as disappointed if it does end up being toasted.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Well I put a new battery in and left that on the tender for about an hour. Attempted to flash then and it made it further, around 70%, then crashed. Tried one more time before giving up and it wrote all the way through without issue. Not sure what the problem was.

I drove it home and put the tune on I had intended in the first place also without issue.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Monitor it closely for a day or two to see if it corrupted any coding and then your good man. Very lucky to not brick that ecu...nice save