Thread: BTR 4 speed auto calibration

Tuner

BTR 4 speed auto calibration

Hey guys,

Are their any general tips/rules to firmer and quicker shifts for the btr boxes? Any changes needed when installing a higher stall convertor?

Thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    PM sent Peppy_t

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure why the PM is needed, isn't this supposed to be an open forum?

Advanced Tuner
    Yeh, whats with the PM

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotrana View Post
    Yeh, whats with the PM
    turbotrana and grantls1 I wasn't sure if we were allowed to share modified files in the forum guys? I have a few calibrations peppy_t could open as a compare file and identify the areas that need to be addressed in the BTR calibration.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Sasha,

It's completely up to the person who tuned the files whether they want to share, so whatever you feel comfortable with!

Cheers Grant

Tuner in Training
    Anyone have a known good ZF Cal to share?

Tuner in Training
    I would like some info on the btr stuff also , if anyone would like to share .
    - Firm and quicker shifts
    - increasing stall convertor

Well lets tackle the first part

What do you think needs to be looked at in the calibration and why ?
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    There is a mod that I have done to the E series boxes by disconnecting the s3 and s4 solenoids that modulate how soft the shifts are done. It works really well and I know one guy who absolutely hammers the box with this mod with his turbo EF and it goes well and seems to survive .

I have never done it on the B series as they changed a little how the solenoids operate but still can be done. You can make it shift harder via the tune but I don't think you can get the same effect via the tune.

Tuner in Training
    To quicken up shifts would that be torque reduction upshift?
    Max time 1-2 2-3 3-4

Tuner in Training
    Perhaps Tommy

Advanced Tuner
    anyone got a tune i can have a suss of to see what people are changing for the btr?
    or at least a hint on what to change for the firmer quicker shifts?
    i dont have a car here i can test changes on otherwise i wouldn't need to ask

Tuner in Training
    Hey mate. Best thing to do is modify the valve body. Put a seal kit through it and drill the plate in a couple of spots and your done then just adjust your shift points. Thats all u need to do. Also set the front band loose. Manual says 3mm. I have mine at 4mm but I believe 5mm atleast. 5mm will let it wear to 6mm and stop the band from dragging in 1st gear. If u build the box also use more clearance in the forward clutch pack. Say 80 thou . That will help box live. Just mod the valve body and check front band clearance. It helps a real lot. Run them to tight its hard on the drum and band.

Advanced Tuner
    lol im not modifying the valve body when i know that you can firm the shifts up to be extremely hard and make them quick as well...

Advanced Tuner
    For those that are doing this professionally or even backyard professionally I would highly recommend getting some proper training when it comes to gearbox calibrations. Check with VCM Suite and see what they offer as it would be money well spent if you want accelerated learning. I spent a lot of time playing with the BTR trying to understand the calibration.

- Shift scheduling is self explanatory provided you understand N/V.
    - The main indicated engine torque table is obviously very important for overall line pressure and Low/High line pressure breakpoints controlled by solenoid 6.
    - Solenoid 5 is the current controlled force motor. High current/low pressure and visa versa. The PCM trans calibration controls the force motor which in turn controls pressure to the clutches during a shift event.
    - The current output tables probably look like gobble gook to most (apart from each shift event) unless someone explains exactly how they work. The tables are obviously split into two but are really one larger table by the look of it. These tables show driveshaft RPM, current values, pressure ramps which require recalibrating depending on the condition of the box, mechanical modifications, actual engine output, tuner preference etc. I have never used the exact same gearbox calibration twice as I always found yourself making adjustments.
    - Torque management is self explanatory in HPT.

There are lots of other scalars and limits etc that require recalibrating depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks mate, im used to e-series where we used to just disable s3/s4 and even s5 for all shifts to be hard and fast but with better tuneability i dont see the need to go that route. i was really after what controlled line pressure/s5 so thanks for that. im working on a non turbo car so obviously less chance of fucking the box through torque related scalers etc.

misk ive just tried the eseries s3 s4 mod in my fg btr 4speed and it just takes off in 2nd gear, the 2-3 change is mint. Its something mechanical in the ba onward boxes as even manually activating s1 and s2 still stays in 2nd gear. Ive even tried fitting an eseries valve body which needed clearancing for park brake assy but that still didn't fix it. The info ih8toads has posted is gold thanks mate very helpful.

Advanced Tuner
    hmm i dunno man lol the ba+ box still controls the solenoids in exactly the same way. the wiring is slightly different between ea-au vs ba+, do you think that was the issue?
    sure it was 2nd and not 3rd which is the default 'lhm' gear as 3rd requires no power from the solenoids?
    i find it hard to believe they changed something so drastically for the ba+ that the box no longer controls gear selection through the operation of s1 and s2. the s3/4 thing, i dunno bout either, i've always just run no s3/4/5/6 lol. shifts are nice and hard/fast with that kinda of setup. i dont have a ba box to test on but i'll try get my hands on a fucked one i can put power into at the very least.

Just found a workshop manual for the ba 93le/97le trans and yep its totally different uses a combination of all s1-s4 at varying gear requests and modes auto/perf/manual/limp/reverse lockout etc. Reading the diagnostics on solenoid failure without coding even failed s5 with high line pressure will lock out auto 1st gear. All works off line pressure diversions through valve body. Not a simple box and pcm like eseries. If you want a copy of w/shop manual give us your email mate.