Thread: My car won't start, hmmm...

My car won't start, hmmm...

Decided to email support instead...
    Last edited by Blazin72; 09-05-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
    Decided to email support instead...
    Why doesn't it start? What does it do?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Apparently this is common with the copperhead pcm's for no rhyme or reason, we are looking into it further but apparently these pcm's need time to reset on occasion. We believe it might be battery voltage related.

WBT,

Thanks for the questions but I had deleted my original question and decided to email support. As far as the car not starting goes, it wouldn't do anything and I just had error messages in the cluster. I ended up finding another thread from a few months ago with similar issue and Bill hit the nail on the head. The battery was at 12.4v. I disconnected the battery, put it on a trickle charge for several hours, flashed it again and the car started.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
    WBT,

Thanks for the questions but I had deleted my original question and decided to email support. As far as the car not starting goes, it wouldn't do anything and I just had error messages in the cluster. I ended up finding another thread from a few months ago with similar issue and Bill hit the nail on the head. The battery was at 12.4v. I disconnected the battery, put it on a trickle charge for several hours, flashed it again and the car started.
    I have experienced this flashing my car a couple of times. We are sorting out what causes it. It is not voltage related on my car. On occasion the writing will go go immediately to 100%, but the car doesn't start or do anything. Its in a dead state. You can try reflashing, and it will fail over and over. If you stop and wait 20 minutes, it will work again.

Its not just with our product, I have experienced it with other tuning hardware as well.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Had a no crank no start with mine about a week ago. Error message on DIC displayed "Check Charging System". Battery disconnect solved the issue. Hasn't happen prior and since. I now keep a 1/2" wrench with me at all times. Trunk mount battery here.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

FWIW, I always turn the headlights, radio and a/c off when flashing a tune and have yet to experience an issue after flashing the computer well over 100 times.
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    FWIW, I always turn the headlights, radio and a/c off when flashing a tune and have yet to experience an issue after flashing the computer well over 100 times.
    This should be common practice. No extra draw on the battery. No one is saying you WILL or that this is a WHEN type situation. As stated there is no rhyme or reason to when it happens, it's just an easy fix of disconnect reconnect of the battery. The other side effect is minor freak out that goes along with a no crank no start situation.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Ya, it SHOULD be common practice but many people forget the headlights are automatic which can really put a damper on your day.
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Tuner in Training
    X3's had the same issue. Disconnecting the battery or flashing with a charger didn't fix it. The only fix I found consistent to work, was walk away and do something else for a half hour. Come back and it would take a flash every time. I've had good luck with HP.

Kev

Tuner
    My experience has been if I have been running the car (street or strip tuning) sometimes the flash will fail (has happened with sct x4 and hptuners) like it has something to do with heat. It has never happened if the car hasn't been driven in the past half hour or longer though. When it does fail, I do exactly what Kevin says, just let it sit for 30mins or so and then go back to it.
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Quote Originally Posted by toyoguru View Post
    My experience has been if I have been running the car (street or strip tuning) sometimes the flash will fail (has happened with sct x4 and hptuners) like it has something to do with heat. It has never happened if the car hasn't been driven in the past half hour or longer though. When it does fail, I do exactly what Kevin says, just let it sit for 30mins or so and then go back to it.
    When it happens, the PCM sends a message that appears to be low voltage related. I know on my own car, when it happens, you can't get it to take a flash unless you wait a while as well.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    If I try to crank the engine before the 20-30min waiting period, does it ticks the counter back to 0?

This just happened to me 30min ago, I stopped in a parking spot to flash a new tune, everything went well to 100%, like its supposed to, but before I was going to take the key off and exit hpt and disconnect the odb2 cable, the cluster started flashing something about advance track error, check charging system, and I have a bunch of ligths on in the cluster.

I've tried resetting the battery twice, and have tried to crank her up in between the 20-30min, and she continues to display all the errors in the cluster, turning the switch on to crank is not doing anything, and that check system charge and advance track error continue to appear..

I just walked away from the car and will wait another 30 min without trying to do anything with it.

I'm I supposed to flash the tune one more time even though it seemed the flash was succesful after the 30min?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, waiting without flashing doesn't do anything, my poor baby kept throwing all kind of warnings and ligths in the dash, after waiting 30 min for the 2nd time, and trying to crank the engine afterwards without any good results, I just flashed the same file I was trying to load when I parked, this time the file went without any problems, I didn't get any more advance track or charging error, and I'm about to go on my way cause after the flash, I cranked her up and she started to pour like nothing never happened, thanks a lot for this thread, I was about to poop my pants..
    Last edited by bluegoat06; 07-09-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    When it happens, the PCM sends a message that appears to be low voltage related. I know on my own car, when it happens, you can't get it to take a flash unless you wait a while as well.
    I have a 2014 5.0L pickup here right now...same issue.

However, it accepts the flash with no problems. Will not restart.
    The IDS will not communicate with the PCM afterward as yet...have battery disconnected right now
    for a half hour to test.
    Did have a code for low voltage, and the instance of low voltage. Codes will not clear as of yet.

Sitting here now for a half hour to see if it restarts and talks.
    Last edited by Programmer; 09-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

Nope...dead in the water here.
    Will not accept a flash, IDS will not talk.

I have the customer bringing me his old SCT handheld (which we recovered the ECM before with)....an hour away.
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

I will say I had this issue except backwards the other day. Returned my car back to stock from a hpt tune. Wen't to flash my sct tune and it failed somewhere when flashing my sct custom tune. Got a failed to write tune and the wrench light and check the charging system and wouldn't do shit. So I loaded the stock tune again via hpt and sct still wouldn't work. Loaded my hpt tune and drove home 20 minutes and set back to stock with hpt again and then I was able to flash my sct tune.

I was hoping that his old SCT might have kept the stock tune--but it really did go right back to stock...even has 5 unlocks left still. I've fought with this thing for 6 hours now (since 3:30). The last time I used the SCT to get communication started, and used the IDS to solve the 'blank' ECM issue. This was in between having HPT figure out the 2014 truck file.
    Hopefully something works in the AM. Going to yank the ECM and try it on the bench.