Thread: Bipolar fuel pump

Tuner in Training

Bipolar fuel pump

Ill start from the beginning. I have a 99 Camaro with a racetronix fuel pump setup I've been working on tuning and ran into a issue a week or two ago of the fuel pump just cutting out. I was driving up the road and got on it a little and then when I let off it had no power and cut off after a few seconds, I pulled over and found I had no fuel pressure and the pump would not prime. I was checking things out and then after a min or two it primed up and started with no issues, ran it the rest of the day and did not do it again. A few days later I drove it and same thing, I got on it and it just nosed over and died, after a few mins it started right up like nothing happen. Today I was about to go out and do some datalogging and it died pulling out of the drive, this time I started doing some diag on it while the issue was present. Found the fuel pump is perfectly fine, no holes in any lines, connections are good. Checked voltage at fuel pump relay and voltage present at one pin and when key is turned on voltage is present on the other (forget the exact pin #'s). Switched relays, no fix. Was back at the racetronix relay in the back for the booster and it started to work again. Has anyone ran into a issue like this? Is there something in the computer that will cut off the signal to the fuel pump? Also if a tps sensor is going bad or is bad what kinda issues will that cause, I drove it after it started to work again and it was cutting out (caught it on the logger as a tps dipping out). Could these be related issues???

Tuner in Training
    Ok, update on this issue. Put a new tps sensor in cause I was catching that on the datalogger blipping out so I got that fixed, is not related to fuel pump issue though. I can get it to cut out when I power brake it or put it under load. Checked the voltages at the fuel pump relay under the hood, all was good and still had a issue. checked the fuse inline on the line from the alt to the relay in the back for the booster and it was good, then it started to work again. Did notice the the fuel pressure climbed up when primed but then fell right back to 0. When running it stayed at 58 psi, then I power braked it and it fell to 0 and died. Tried to start again and fuel pump never cuts on.