Thread: E67 VE tuning help

Tuner in Training

E67 VE tuning help

Good morning all.

New to this generation of engine tuning and I need some guidance.

I am working on the tune on my 09 TBSS with an LS2 and I am wanting to go through tuning the VE within using the Bluecat tool and the unused VE Reversion Lo Altd for tweaking it using the histogram logs that I have taken

Anyway I enter the data from the tune into the Bluecat tool and Generate the VE Table for import or copy and paste into the VE Reversion Lo Altd to modify with the values that I pulled from the histogram that I have setup in the scanner and I noticed that VE Reversion Lo Altd. table is referencing Engine Speed and Throttle Position instead of Engine Speed and MAP.

I would think that I wouldn't be able to copy the VE table from Bluecat direct into this with the table referencing TPS% and RPM

I looked at a few E67 tunes and they all have that table referenced the same, same with E38 tunes.

I haven't done a huge amount of mods to the motor so really it probably doesn't need to be tweaked at all but, if I put a cam in I would like to be able to tweak these values using the tools that are out there.

Any insight that you would have on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Tuner in Training
    If this has been discussed before please point me in the right direction. I have searched and I came up with nothing on the subject.

In looking at it really I am just using the table and graph in the editor to give a visual reference to tweak against, so it shouldn't really matter what the labels indicate, I just don't want the data to be skewed and cause an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by syclnjr View Post
    Good morning all.

New to this generation of engine tuning and I need some guidance.

I am working on the tune on my 09 TBSS with an LS2 and I am wanting to go through tuning the VE within using the Bluecat tool and the unused VE Reversion Lo Altd for tweaking it using the histogram logs that I have taken

Anyway I enter the data from the tune into the Bluecat tool and Generate the VE Table for import or copy and paste into the VE Reversion Lo Altd to modify with the values that I pulled from the histogram that I have setup in the scanner and I noticed that VE Reversion Lo Altd. table is referencing Engine Speed and Throttle Position instead of Engine Speed and MAP.

I would think that I wouldn't be able to copy the VE table from Bluecat direct into this with the table referencing TPS% and RPM

I looked at a few E67 tunes and they all have that table referenced the same, same with E38 tunes.

I haven't done a huge amount of mods to the motor so really it probably doesn't need to be tweaked at all but, if I put a cam in I would like to be able to tweak these values using the tools that are out there.

Any insight that you would have on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    What is your goal with this table? I have not seen it discussed or used.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply, there is really no goal of sorts with it.

In looking through some of the several different ways to work over the VE tables for the E67 computers, one in particular stated after doing a log and with the bluecat tool, copy table into the unused table I mentioned above for easier tweaking. But really after looking at it a little more it would just seem that you are using the VCM editor as it is easier to read I guess. With the latest version of the Bluecat tool it would seem that you can do all of that within it. I just wanted to be sure.

My goal for the tune that I am tweaking is to get the thing running a little better. I paid for a mail order tune and the tuner did a great job working it over with alot of me logging the data and sending it back in for tweaking, but something just still isn't right.

After a week or so of letting the truck relearn itself, I logged it again this morning and while the LTFT's are close to what I would expect, but the average still seems all over the place.

I am going to log it again on the way home tonight and see if it is the same result. Worst case I try working it over and if it doesn't help I can always go back.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mike

I see where you are coming from. I feel like I am chasing my tail sometimes working on the VE table. The "smooth" function is great for some stuff, but I have found that I really have to hand smooth the table quite a bit to keep the wanted changes and get it smooth. And yes, the bluecat tool is invaluable, but its not super competent in my experience at making changes easy on you (clunky/cumbersome). I have been using excel a lot. Looking for a great tool for 3D surface manipulation. They exist but cost big $$$ i am sure.

Tuner in Training
    ok good to hear I am not the only one that chases their tails sometimes with this.

I figured out a way to do it so you can get a better visual and has the correct values, I just open up a tune that I know has the VE table in it, paste in my original values that Bluecat tabulates based on the coefficients and tweak it there, copy and save back to bluecat.

I haven't tried to do the VE tuning yet, just wanted to get this stuff figured out first.

Thanks for the replies.