Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 trans brake limit

Tuner in Training

2013-14 trans brake limit

Thought I would update this.. pretty sure I have seen the issue mentioned somewhere on this forum before but don't see it now.
    The 3000 rpm limit on the 6r80 trans brake before setting a wrench has been FIXED now by Eric.. on my car anyway.
    It may not matter to most of you but to those that need a little help with spoooool, no more worries!

Quote Originally Posted by 13guytt View Post
    Thought I would update this.. pretty sure I have seen the issue mentioned somewhere on this forum before but don't see it now.
    The 3000 rpm limit on the 6r80 trans brake before setting a wrench has been FIXED now by Eric.. on my car anyway.
    It may not matter to most of you but to those that need a little help with spoooool, no more worries!
    Thanks for posting. I intended to make a post about it but got sidetracked.

A lot of people have been emailing me about the 13/14 definition Mustang definition wanting the Trans Stall Speed parameter. Well, it does not exist in the 13/14. But after working with 13guytt, I was able to figure out what needed to be changed to prevent a failsafe. I have not added this parameter to the software, but in a nutshell, it is the engine speed above which the PCM assumes the car is moving. Stock is 3,000 RPM. I raised it to 8,000 RPM and so far there have be no ill effects.

Parameter will be added to all Copperhead/ESYS definitions as soon as I am able.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

are you using the 3 relays or is their a way to do it in the tune?
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kaineoutlaw View Post
    are you using the 3 relays or is their a way to do it in the tune?
    2 or 3 it works the same.

The 3 relay version requires turning some additional codes off but doesn't offer any greater performance over the 2 relay version.

Great news. Can't wait to get mine wired up in my 14 Auto twin turbo.

Are y'all using the kdanner schematic posted on line some time ago? Will it hold torque or is it more for a n/a car?
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    Great news. Can't wait to get mine wired up in my 14 Auto twin turbo.

Are y'all using the kdanner schematic posted on line some time ago? Will it hold torque or is it more for a n/a car?
    Use it in conjunction with a 2 step and it does fine. My car was the development platform for the 2 and 3 relay setups and have my 2 step set to 3,500 with no issues holding N/A. I haven't tested on a power adder however I think it would hold at a similar RPM.

I guess there's really only one way to find out
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    Yup. I'm about to try the 2 relay setup soon. It's a peocharged car, so it doesn't make torque like the turbo setups though.

For anyone that wants to make the transbrake work, or a really loose converter... You will need to raise the RPM for Inferred Movement.

Located under Transmission > General > Inferred Movement

I just added this to all 11-14 Mustangs, and F-Series, along with a couple of other new parameters we were missing.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Nicely done Eric
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    For what it's worth. I did the "2 relay" setup and this car doesn't hold past 2500rpm with a stock converter. The car will start to roll.
    Not an issue for now, as we set it up on a 2step. With our current pulley combination on the D1SC, we're seeing 2.5psi at this rim limit.

Will try adding the third relay in the next month or so when the customer finally changes the converter.

For anyone looking, here's the kdanner schematics too

trans brake.jpgtrans brake 2.jpg
    Last edited by PST; 09-14-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PST View Post
    For what it's worth. I did the "2 relay" setup and this car doesn't hold past 2500rpm with a stock converter. The car will start to roll.
    Not an issue for now, as we set it up on a 2step. With our current pulley combination on the D1SC, we're seeing 2.5psi at this rim limit.

Will try adding the third relay in the next month or so when the customer finally changes the converter.

For anyone looking, here's the kdanner schematics too

trans brake.jpgtrans brake 2.jpg
    Yep. Need a 2 step and converter. 3rd relay really doesn't change anything on how much it will hold.

thought the 3 relay made the forward drum or input lock and builds pressure on the trans itself to launch harder? I may be way off lol I seen a thread in svt somewhere about it but can not remember. i have it set up w a 2 relay but until i get my torque converter lock right im not testing it. .
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Yup. I'm about to try the 2 relay setup soon. It's a peocharged car, so it doesn't make torque like the turbo setups though.

im running a procharger, make good tq by using a wastegate and a smaller pulley w setting the gate to 7 psi but using a 14psi pulley and gained about 61ftlbs trq in low rpms. kinda simulates turbo boost but you still lose power from the charger itself
    GOD HELP US ALL....

Advanced Tuner
    thought the 3 relay made the forward drum or input lock and builds pressure on the trans itself to launch harder? I may be way off lol I seen a thread in svt somewhere about it but can not remember. i have it set up w a 2 relay but until i get my torque converter lock right im not testing it. .
    3 relay version just raises the line pressure. It performs no differently vs. the 2. That said, there is another version of it posted on the forums that requires some tune adjustments for it to work, It ties into hill assist. I haven't messed with it and have no plans to.

Advanced Tuner
    im running a procharger, make good tq by using a wastegate and a smaller pulley w setting the gate to 7 psi but using a 14psi pulley and gained about 61ftlbs trq in low rpms. kinda simulates turbo boost but you still lose power from the charger itself
    I've been setting up Prochargers with wastegates and electronic boost controllers for years. They work great that way.

This particular car now has the blower pulley'd to max the blower out. Running a Precision Turbo 46mm gate with 7psi spring, and eboost street boost controller. On the high boost setting, we are seeing almost 4 psi at 2500rpm on the brake and reaching full boost of 12psi by 3700rpm. This car makes torque "almost" like a roots or screw blower with cooler iat's.

I've been setting up Prochargers with wastegates and electronic boost controllers for years. They work great that way.

This particular car now has the blower pulley'd to max the blower out. Running a Precision Turbo 46mm gate with 7psi spring, and eboost street boost controller. On the high boost setting, we are seeing almost 4 psi at 2500rpm on the brake and reaching full boost of 12psi by 3700rpm. This car makes torque "almost" like a roots or screw blower with cooler iat's.
    I'd like to see this car with a 3500rpm converter!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    3 relay version just raises the line pressure. It performs no differently vs. the 2. That said, there is another version of it posted on the forums that requires some tune adjustments for it to work, It ties into hill assist. I haven't messed with it and have no plans to.
    I took a look at this a little further. This "new" circuit doesn't tie into grade assist. That was a mistake on my part as I glanced over some comments from other forums instead of looking into this myself.

Basically what we have is something I had mentioned to Ken@Lund earlier this year and why the original 2 and 3 relay version would not hold past a certain RPM. I didn't have the tools or time to investigate it further. The issue with the original 2 and 3 relay design is they do not increase the circuit pressure so there is a limit. Activating LPC increasing overall pressure does nothing (original 3 relay version) over the original 2 relay version as it doesn't impact the circuit pressure needed to increase the holding capacity.

What needed to happen is finding a way to increase circuit pressure. According to the service manuals, SSD performs this function but only does so above 3MPH.
    "b Solenoid is On when vehicle is above 3 mph."

The "special" calibration changes remove this limitation.

Reference diagram attached.

Ford service manual: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=903&viewfil...l%20System.pdf

As mentioned I have no plans to test this "new" circuit. I have cars that I tuned running 1.4 60' times using the original 2 relay circuit so I see no need for it for what I am doing.

Hope that helps those considering this mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    I took a look at this a little further. This "new" circuit doesn't tie into grade assist. That was a mistake on my part as I glanced over some comments from other forums instead of looking into this myself.

Basically what we have is something I had mentioned to Ken@Lund earlier this year and why the original 2 and 3 relay version would not hold past a certain RPM. I didn't have the tools or time to investigate it further. The issue with the original 2 and 3 relay design is they do not increase the circuit pressure so there is a limit. Activating LPC increasing overall pressure does nothing (original 3 relay version) over the original 2 relay version as it doesn't impact the circuit pressure needed to increase the holding capacity.

What needed to happen is finding a way to increase circuit pressure. According to the service manuals, SSD performs this function but only does so above 3MPH.
    "b Solenoid is On when vehicle is above 3 mph."

The "special" calibration changes remove this limitation.

Reference diagram attached.

Ford service manual: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=903&viewfil...l%20System.pdf

As mentioned I have no plans to test this "new" circuit. I have cars that I tuned running 1.4 60' times using the original 2 relay circuit so I see no need for it for what I am doing.

Hope that helps those considering this mod.
    You are speaking of "Low/Reverse Max VSS" that is set to 2.5 MPH, correct?
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    You are speaking of "Low/Reverse Max VSS" that is set to 2.5 MPH, correct?
    That may be part of it but without testing I can't confirm.