Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss: Tuning the 6R80

Advanced Tuner
    I uploaded a few files about a month ago and none are in the repository.

Tuner in Training
    maby you guys can post the tunes to this thread even if the arent adding it to the repository

Advanced Tuner
    i know I'm bringing back an old thread but I've noticed that the tables for the 6r80 stop short of redline or wot shift rpm. i wonder is there anything to be gained by modifying the tables to include redline rpm. any thoughts?

Looking back on this thread is funny. I originally just wanted 650whp but ended up going 8s on the stock motor and transmission...

Which tables are you referring to?
    2020 Mustang GT Daily driver
    |Hellion Sleeper|10R80|Full weight, full exhaust, BABY seat in the back|
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    |Hellion TT|Powerglide|Ignite114|
    6.87@200mph

Jordan Performance and Racing

Advanced Tuner
    I'm no expert, but from reading other threads on the subject, this is my understanding.

Because the shift has a delay from the time the pcm commands the shift and the shift occurring, if you were to set the shift rpm the same as your rev limiter, it would never shift. It would hit the limiter before the shift could happen. I think the norm is 250-350 rpm cushion to prevent that. IE, rev limited is 7000 and commanded shift is 6750.

EDIT: This only refers to WOT shifts.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 05-01-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    Looking back on this thread is funny. I originally just wanted 650whp but ended up going 8s on the stock motor and transmission...

Which tables are you referring to?
    That's pretty impressive! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I'm no expert, but from reading other threads on the subject, this is my understanding.

Because the shift has a delay from the time the pcm commands the shift and the shift occurring, if you were to set the shift rpm the same as your rev limiter, it would never shift. It would hit the limiter before the shift could happen. I think the norm is 250-350 rpm cushion to prevent that. IE, rev limited is 7000 and commanded shift is 6750.
    That's true to an extent. Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are many other factors that determine how quickly and accurately the transmission will shift but you are right, generally speaking--when modified, you will need to adjust the shift points down to get the car to shift on time.
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not talking about making the actual shift quicker by changing pressure or slip. I'm talking about the speed limitations of the processor to execute the command. In my previous post, I was referring specifically to WOT. I think non WOT shifts are set to the rev limiter.
    Making firmer and quicker shifting is a whole nother thread. LOL!
    Last edited by txcharlie; 05-01-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I'm not talking about making the actual shift quicker by changing pressure or slip. I'm talking about the speed limitations of the processor to execute the command. In my previous post, I was referring specifically to WOT. I think non WOT shifts are set to the rev limiter.
    Making firmer and quicker shifting is a whole nother thread. LOL!
    Correct, and I agree about it being a different thread. However, the firmness and quickness of your shifts will have an impact on the shift timing so they do go hand in hand.
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    I was referencing some reading ive done about needing to modify certain tables to obtain a higher rev limit. the rpm in the shift properties only goes up to 6500 and the torque management only goes to 6000. the car shifts at 7300 so it would appear at least that these tables are not being used at that rpm. if I manually shift at a lower speed say 6k-6500 the shifts feel totally different than 7300

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
    That's true to an extent. Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are many other factors that determine how quickly and accurately the transmission will shift but you are right, generally speaking--when modified, you will need to adjust the shift points down to get the car to shift on time.
    There is one item for consideration here, RPM Antic. Shifts. If you have that disabled then you will want to command the shift at an earlier point in the RPM range so it has time to complete before the engine hits a limiter.
    If this item is enabled enter the RPM you want the car to shift at and the PCM will determine the best point to command the shift to target that RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    There is one item for consideration here, RPM Antic. Shifts. If you have that disabled then you will want to command the shift at an earlier point in the RPM range so it has time to complete before the engine hits a limiter.
    If this item is enabled enter the RPM you want the car to shift at and the PCM will determine the best point to command the shift to target that RPM.

^ absolutely great info
    8.3@167mph

2014 Mustang GT
    6.87@200mph

Advanced Tuner
    Bump I'm still fighting a built one short shifting.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

In for more info
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=Justinjor;381753]That's true to an extent. Like anything else, there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are many other factors that determine how quickly and accurately the transmission will shift but you are right, generally speaking--when modified, you will need to adjust the shift points down to get the car to shift on time.[/QUOTE

In Auto Shift Properties,the Clutch fill time tables will assist in less delays between the commanded shift and actual execution..lowering the time to fill allows the fluid to fill the piston side of the clutch pack much faster,basically the same way we do it manually on the 4R70's by opening up the ports on the separator plate for firmer faster shifts..

I was thinking that the clutch fill times were mechanically what the transmission was capable of doing in order for shift anticipation to time properly. So you're saying that changing these will cause the fluid the physically fill the back of the piston faster or slower?
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Tuner in Training
    I'm still fighting my truck closing the tb at 6100 Rpms on the shift. All my tq management tables are either maxed out or turned off but no matter what I do, it shuts me down every time and in every gear. Wtb sent me a file but no success. there has to be something behind the scenes that I can't change, preventing me from upping my shift rpm.

Tuner in Training
    After reading another thread, it seems there is a missing trans rpm limit. I will update tomorrow and see if it's there.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
    After reading another thread, it seems there is a missing trans rpm limit. I will update tomorrow and see if it's there.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...seen-rev-limit

Quote Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
    Tell me your OSID, and I'll get that missing limiter added.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC