Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's discuss: Tuning the 6R80

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
    I'm still fighting my truck closing the tb at 6100 Rpms on the shift. All my tq management tables are either maxed out or turned off but no matter what I do, it shuts me down every time and in every gear. Wtb sent me a file but no success. there has to be something behind the scenes that I can't change, preventing me from upping my shift rpm.
    What yr? and can you post what you're working with so far?

Advanced Tuner
    Logs would go a long way to determining what the issue is. The 2013 5.0 F150 I tuned doesn't close the throttle on shifts and is the same file sent over.

The only logical explanation is there is something not quite mapped correctly in the strategy you are working with.

Tuner in Training
    Eric is updating my strategy next week. I will give that a try first before digging deeper. For now I set the shift for 6100, it seems to be working fine for now. Just seems to want a few more rpm, feels like it is still pulling pretty hard when it shifts.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
    Eric is updating my strategy next week. I will give that a try first before digging deeper. For now I set the shift for 6100, it seems to be working fine for now. Just seems to want a few more rpm, feels like it is still pulling pretty hard when it shifts.
    Absolutely. 7K should be about right for the shift points.

Tuner in Training
    Sweet, I was thinking around 6800ish, so it's good the hear I was in the right track.. Haha

I will update once changes have been made and I can confirm the "fix"

Tuner

Clutch fill times

Quote Originally Posted by tramotorsports View Post
    I was thinking that the clutch fill times were mechanically what the transmission was capable of doing in order for shift anticipation to time properly. So you're saying that changing these will cause the fluid the physically fill the back of the piston faster or slower?

I have noticed in tests I have run to be true, lowering clutch fill times has an effect on the 1-2 RPM shift time, but could lowering these values below say below stock settings cause damage to the transmission? Also, what is the advantage of raising these values as I have seen some do on high HP engines?

Quote Originally Posted by R8Bill View Post
    I have noticed in tests I have run to be true, lowering clutch fill times has an effect on the 1-2 RPM shift time, but could lowering these values below say below stock settings cause damage to the transmission? Also, what is the advantage of raising these values as I have seen some do on high HP engines?

I've noticed in the SCT trans value files tend to lower the clutch fill times, one I've noticed as low as .200 for the 2-3. I'm guessing a lot of people are running around on those settings without damage. I'd like to hear more info on this.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    I've noticed in the SCT trans value files tend to lower the clutch fill times, one I've noticed as low as .200 for the 2-3. I'm guessing a lot of people are running around on those settings without damage. I'd like to hear more info on this.
    To be in the safe side, I still run stock values until I know more about how this function works as I don't know if there is a min time to fill the clutch. But for now I was able to raise the 1-2 shift time higher by changing the OSS maps as I am trying to shift as high as 7500, but I am seeing something strange and inconsistent, one pull I will have a shift up to 7500, then next pull it would shift at 6700 or 6900. If anyone can shed some light on this and how to make it more consistent, please let me know. Thanks!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    I think if you run lower than .550 you the clutch slips at the 1-2 shift, look at the RPM drag at the shift change based on these different clutch fill settings:

Clutch fill data.png

I think if you run lower than .550 you the clutch slips at the 1-2 shift, look at the RPM drag at the shift change based on these different clutch fill settings:
    Thats an excellent informative graphic there!
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport - 3.5L EcoBoost
    2006 Ford F150 Lariat - 5.4L 3V (315,000 miles )

Thanks R8Bill

To be in the safe side, I still run stock values until I know more about how this function works as I don't know if there is a min time to fill the clutch. But for now I was able to raise the 1-2 shift time higher by changing the OSS maps as I am trying to shift as high as 7500, but I am seeing something strange and inconsistent, one pull I will have a shift up to 7500, then next pull it would shift at 6700 or 6900. If anyone can shed some light on this and how to make it more consistent, please let me know. Thanks!
    What were you logging in those charts showing your different clutch fill times? Was the red graph just engine RPM?

I have noticed the inconsistent shifting on the dragstrip as well. But on the 17-up 6F55, the OSS tables are the only ones that actually work to control shift points. The 2 WOT tables don't seem to do anything or are ignored. I'm still testing them but I think it has to do with RPM anticipated shifts or torque-based shifting. I always kept these enabled, never tried disabling them.

Looks like RPM to me.