Thread: Horrible idle only when in gear. HELP! automatic

Tuner in Training

Horrible idle only when in gear. HELP! automatic

Like the title states. I have a good idle in park or neutral. when I go into any gear. Reverse, drive, 1, 2, 3. The idle goes down to around 500 and is extremly rough, not uncommon for it to stall. i can play with it and finally bring the idle back up. I know there are still problems with the tune. what i dont understand is why its doing this. i've searched and searched and cannot solve my problem. any help is appreciated. The mods are mostly unknown. supposedly a stall and few other transmission upgrades. not sure if that matters. motor has a cam and head work ect. i know iac's are not where they should be. i have played with them all over the place with no help.

1999 8-28.hpt

8-28p2.hpl

8-28p3.hpl

8-28 scan problem.hpl

I attached several logs trying to capture this problem. afr never changes. however watching the wideband it will go lean after a while of experiencing this problem. once it goes lean i can swap it back into neutral or park and itll rev up to around 2k rpms. It'll finally settle back down after several seconds. also attached the current tune.

Tuner in Training
    I noticed in the log my timing when it does this goes to 0. In my tables its set to have a lot more advance in the timing. any ideas?

Your VE table is definitely going to cause problems. Please post a copy of the Stock GM file for your motor and list
    your mods and I will see if I can help you out.

Tuner in Training
    James, im mot thinking its the ve table. I have made adjustments that dont change the idle at all. Its like im missing something else. My afr are spot on until I swap into gear then my idle drops way down and struggles to recover. I can post a stock file and whille shortly

Tuner in Training
    Also noticed this morning the idle drops when I push in the breaks sometimes. I know there are no vaccum leaks. I can unhook the break booster and plug the line to the intake and the idle still drops and gets rough. Maybe like a tcc switch or something? Need opinions.

I have heard of TCC switch on Dodge trucks that will do that if the transmission is not completely full of fluid to the full mark or slightly above.
    In that case, if we put the truck in neutral before coming to a stop, the motor would not die because the TCC would not try to lock up. After
    we filled the transmission slightly over the full mark it solved the problem.

I just think your VEs look so bad that you could be operating in a different part of the curve in gear than out of gear due to increased MAP
    in gear could have a VE value to high, too rich. I configure a histogram filter that requires wheel acceleration/decal to be <10 counts and
    throttle position TPS to be >0.4%. This way, like you said, there are no readings when coasting, and there are no readings when you
    are accelerating or decelerating, since 10 counts either accel or decel is pretty much same as steady state.

I would also throw out any cells without at least 10 hits and any cells that have correction factor over 10%, or at least correct them by only
    5% since outlier indicate erroneous readings. Steady state readings are of course more difficult to achieve under 1600 RPM anyway because
    the signal is based on a less dense exhaust gas that is more prone to error.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I see what you're saying. I have adjusted my ve tables countless times to try to cure the problem though. I adjust in the upper range of my ve tables. You can see where ive richened it up considerably. Since I see it on the wideband eventually go lean aftet several seconds of this problem occuring. My ve tables are not too bad and it stays right around where I want it. Ill try leaning out that part of my ve's. Maybe I will see a change.

you can look at my tune, but this is a 408 stroker which has timing dialed back due to 91 octane gas in Arkansas with
    10.7 compression ratio.

Custom Built, Forged 408 CID LQ9 - TX Speed & Performance
    (thank you Gary Luther)

WiseCo 4.030 -8cc Pistons, Lunati Rods, 24x Lunati Crank
    199-AsCast, Precision Race Components cathedral cylinder heads 68cc; 10.7:1
    TSP Custom Order Comp Cams: 227/235 .614/.621 on 112LSA
    GM LS7 hydraulic lifters; 1.7 ratio GM shaft rocker arms with trunion upgrade
    PTM 102mm Throttle Body; Fast Toys 104mm Air Cleaner Lid with ram air hood
    FAST 102mm Cathedral-Port Intake Manifold (146302)
    TSP 100mm MAF, 2006+ Corvette Z06 GM MAF Sensor (recalibrated IAT)
    Bosch 41.7 lb/hr at 4 bar fuel injectors #0280155811
    Kooks Long-Tube headers with Y-pipe; CATs removed
    GZ Motorsports LSX Series Sportsman Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit
    Meziere 680-WP319S Electric Water Pump
    Racetronix Fuel Pump Kit (255L/Hr integral Walbro pump)
    2000 Camaro OEM PCM (GM service code 09354896)
    Manual-Shift 4L65E Level 5 Transmission & 2400 billet converter (PATC)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.

408 Stroker Tune

Here is the tune I wanted to share with you to show you how smooth your VE should be.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I have really only tuned the bottom end of my ve tables. watch my timing when my idle drops. why is it not advancing? it goes to 0.

is this when you are just starting up the motor. if that is the case your your "cat lightoff startup spark correction" table
    may be the culprit. Multiply the "multiplier" for that table by 0.5 so it will halve the values when starting up. I also
    find that if you have removed the EGR then you should zero out the "EGR Spark Advancement Spark Correction" table.

Tuner in Training
    I did zero the egr table. this motor has no emissions on it. it doesn't only do it on startup. it does it anytime I reach 0 mph in drive or reverse with the brakes pushed in.

I would say its a combination of your MAF and VE tables being out of calibration so that you are either
    way lean or way rich at idle. Tell me about how you installed the wide band; where is it located
    and have you turned off open loop and fuel trims for tuning purposes?

If the car is not stock then the MAF calibration will need to be increased between 7% and 12% across the board depending
    on how much you opened up the inlet air intake system. If the car has a cam then the VE's for 400 through 1200 RPM should
    be decreased about 15% to 20% at all MAP values. These are just to get you in the ball park, and you will have to log
    lambda error at open loop without fuel trims to calibrate your MAF and VE's. It is not possible to guess your way to a
    good tune. The WB oxygen sensor must be installed in one of the bungs in your exhaust where your secondary OEM
    sensors were before. You have to disable MAF to tune VEs, and disable VE's to tune your MAF. You must ignore readings
    when accelerating and decelerating and when throttle is closed so that you are not getting non-steady-state data readings.

If the car is not stock then the MAF calibration will need to be increased between 7% and 12% across the board depending
    on much you opened up the inlet air intake system. If the car has a cam then the VE's for 400 through 1200 RPM should
    be decreased about 15% to 20% at all MAP values. These are just to get you in the ball park, and you will have to log
    lambda error at open loop without fuel trims to calibrate your MAF and VE's. It is not possible to guess your way to a
    good tune. The WB oxygen sensor must be installed in one of the bungs in your exhaust where your secondary OEM
    sensors were before. You have to disable MAF to tune VEs, and disable VE's to tune your MAF. You must ignore readings
    when accelerating and decelerating and when throttle is closed so that you are not getting non-steady-state data readings.

Here is a tuning guide I posted last week:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l=1#post360106
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 09-03-2014 at 10:20 AM.

This company publishes all the data you need for the PCM when you buy fuel injectors from them: http://www.deatschwerks.com/

If you are unable to find data on your existing injectors, you should probably just buy some from Deatschwerks and do away with
    the guess work.

Tuner in Training
    ok, I have worked on the tune more. It still does the idle problem. the afr bounces from 14.0 to 14.4 and timing ranges from -4 to +4 while it does this. idle while coasting stays 22 degrees and holds perfect idle until the vss reaches 0. then the timing goes crazy and so does the idle. still cant figure it out. help!