Thread: Won't rev past 5500 without getting reduced power, what gives?

Tuner in Training

Won't rev past 5500 without getting reduced power, what gives?

So I've tried to data log my reduced power issue near the rev limit but it never actually shows the occurrence, it's odd. So I can post my tune and say my g/cyl is 1.63 at 5200. I've changed the calculated airmass to 4.0 and several other tables but can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've heard of bricking computers when messing with the etc so I'm hesitant to change anything related, like the "ETC limit enabled/disabled". Not sure if that's what's causing this. E-85 2bar 1.21.hpt The truck is a manual transmission and really this only effects me in 1st gear. Really annoying though.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry folks, I was mistaken, I just went through and found this log. At the very end it shows up and apparently my tach isn't as quick as the log it shows a little better than 5800 but still hits reduced power. I was looking for a 6k redline. Reduced power.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Bump... anybody? Might be participating in a burn out competition this weekend and don't want to make a fool of myself.

I hate to say this, but if your motor used to run well at high RPMs and it now hits a ceiling before the typical red line, your valves
    are floating. The typical cause of this is broken or weakened valve springs. If you pull the valve covers you will be able to tell
    if any are broken. When this happened to me and we replaced the springs, it was only a day or two before the valve spring
    debris that got into the oil caused the motor to lock up. The small pieces get into the oil when the damage occurs.

If you go with a higher lift camshaft, you MUST go with valve springs that are sufficiently stronger to handled that lift or they
    will not last. It is the mistake a lot of us have made.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-29-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting... It's entirely possible but why would it go into reduced power mode and it doesn't miss or hesitate at all? I never tried to rev over 5300 when it was stock but now that it's boosted I figured 6k was marginal but doable. It's still the stock cam.

Senior Tuner
    Have a log of it happening?

Okay, a boosted motor; if you have the MAF active then it could easily be seeing more than maximum airflow allowed
    before giving you an error or taking some kind of crippling action. Look for other possible triggers in the software that
    would cripple the motor if you exceed a certain value. I doubt it is valve springs now that I realize you only started
    having these problems after boosting it. I have never boosted one of mine, so I am not the best person to advise you
    on this one, sorry.

With E85 you have to double your fuel flow for the same horsepower as gasoline. Did you increase the size of your
    fuel pump and injectors to handle all that fuel?

Tuner in Training
    My second post has the log. It's the last wot section near the end. It doesn't have a MAF and my fueling is fine.

Senior Tuner
    Load this and try, just watch your rpms.

lets get a decent log first. here is my idle analysis configuration for scanner. Try to set something up similar
    set up and log all the idle stuff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again for the assistance mecanicman, unfortunately I still hit reduced power, so I went ahead and disabled the "ETC limit" and now the rev limiter works like it should.