Thread: Is my car poorly tuned?

Potential Tuner

Is my car poorly tuned?

Hello, I drive a 2000 Camaro that just had the engine swapped to a LQ4 because a bad tune cause my LS1 to die. I got a different tuner to tune this engine but I still don't really feel right about it and was hoping some of you could possibly look at it. So, mods list.

LQ4 stock bottom end, 243 non ported heads with dual valve springs and trunion upgrade, longtube headers and ory + catback, 42lb injectors, fast 92mm intake manifold/throttle body & slp lid. Also cammed but I do not have specs at the moment, I will get them in the morning and update this post as soon as I can.

Attached is my config file, my tune, and a few runs. I do not have the HPtuners version that you can hook up the AFR to unfortunately, but what i have noticed is every now and then my AFR (ngk) will top out at 16.00 when I'm sitting at a red light and slowly go back down in the 14s which kind of worries me. Also from a cold start the car is almost completely non drivable, it will idle in the 11-12's range on the AFR for a few minutes then raise to the normal range of 14.5ish. My tuner said that is because the springs are really stiff and need to heat up but idk if I really buy that. Anyways, please have a look and tell me what you think!

short drive.hpl long drive.hpl coldstartup-idle.hpl configs.cfg current08-20.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by itsboogytime View Post
    Hello, I drive a 2000 Camaro that just had the engine swapped to a LQ4 because a bad tune cause my LS1 to die. I got a different tuner to tune this engine but I still don't really feel right about it and was hoping some of you could possibly look at it. So, mods list.

LQ4 stock bottom end, 243 non ported heads with dual valve springs and trunion upgrade, longtube headers and ory + catback, 42lb injectors, fast 92mm intake manifold/throttle body & slp lid. Also cammed but I do not have specs at the moment, I will get them in the morning and update this post as soon as I can.

Attached is my config file, my tune, and a few runs. I do not have the HPtuners version that you can hook up the AFR to unfortunately, but what i have noticed is every now and then my AFR (ngk) will top out at 16.00 when I'm sitting at a red light and slowly go back down in the 14s which kind of worries me. Also from a cold start the car is almost completely non drivable, it will idle in the 11-12's range on the AFR for a few minutes then raise to the normal range of 14.5ish. My tuner said that is because the springs are really stiff and need to heat up but idk if I really buy that. Anyways, please have a look and tell me what you think!

short drive.hpl long drive.hpl coldstartup-idle.hpl configs.cfg current08-20.hpt

Your tuner is an idiot.

What fuel injectors are in this? Reason I ask is that the the flow rate vs KPA, looks, well, special. Let's start there.

Quote Originally Posted by itsboogytime View Post

Cold start cranking stock, is usually richer to account for a wide variety of weather conditions. Its not out of the norm, it can be fine tuned, but not a big deal. The major thing is when cold starting, your PCM is running a series of checks(open loop) waiting on the voltage series from the O2 sensors, ECT, and other variables, then once the different parameters are met, then the PCM will go into closed loop and the O2's will switch trying to achieve stoich 14.6-14.7.

The tune is not horrible(runing a little rich and some kr), I have seen worse but the reason he gave, I do not agree with.
    Last edited by POWERZONE; 08-21-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    POWERZONE- AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE AND TUNING SOLUTIONS
    STREET TUNING/DYNO TUNING/TRACK TUNING/REMOTE TUNING/EMAIL TUNING
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    They are bosch 42lb. although, is there any way I can verify this because they do look used and they are supposed to be new. Not a big deal as long as they are the right thing, is there a serial number or something so I can tell? Also, should the car be completely undrivable in open loop? I'll take a video today and show you what I mean.

Potential Tuner
    Alright here is my cam card, a short video of me driving about 5 feet from a cold start, and the log from that. Using the same config as posted above cold start2-drive.hpl IMG_0459.JPG

edit: sorry this video sucks haha, but at least you can hear the stuttering whenever i get on the throttle a little bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files