Thread: 79 malibu 5.3 swap, LOST LOST LOST

Potential Tuner

Angry 79 malibu 5.3 swap, LOST LOST LOST

I've got the banish DVD, two banish books, and the Maslic "Master Tuner" book and watched/read them about a zillion times, and have been tinkering with this with some success, but trying to get the fuel/timing down perfect is killing me. I just flashed my last tune in and it's pig rich and I am about to throw all this stuff in the trash and buy a carb, but I go on drag week soon, so I'm putting my noob status on the chopping block and asking for help. (colorado)

Stock 5.3 with 150 nitrous
    LS6 intake with LS1 injectors
    Corvette regulator/return on frame
    speed density tune

Here's the issue...
    won't get BR7EF plugs hot enough to run worth a crap on the street, logs are with TR6 plugs
    weird ass KR at WOT I simply can't get rid of, but I'm almost positive it's not actually knocking. I can pull timing to 14 degrees WOT and it still does it.
    I can't nail down the AFR, I'm trying to tune with lambda with an NGK AFX (NTK sensor) and when I make changes, the AFR doesn't seem to follow, or takes a huge jump and gets insane rich or insane lean.

I'm sure this tune is wack and config is wack, and hell maybe even the log is wack.... I thought I could do this myself, but I can't spend any more sleepless nights thinking I can mess with this when I get to sea level and make confident changes. Any help is welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Injector data is incorrect. You may not be failing maf. Try loading this and doing another log. Must in Denver or close to it? You config has 2 unsupported parameters on the bottom right, what are they?

Potential Tuner
    commanded lambda [AUX.20121]/[USER.9004]
    lambda error [PID.6001]/14.12988

and after digging through here a little I just added
    Lambda error percent [AUX.20121]/[USER.9005]*100-100

I'm not sure why they are coming up unsupported occasionally though.

Thanks for the file! I'll load it up and give it a shot.

Yes, I'm in the west end of Denver
    Last edited by quickie70; 08-20-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Potential Tuner
    scooted stuff around so it makes more sense in the .cfg

Potential Tuner
    Here's my drive to work. My new config logged AFR and not Lambda, so I'll change that before I drive home (tried to change it for 14.2 AFR as lambda and obviously did something wrong). It runs better with only that one spot of KR. I should note that I have the lingenfelter 2 step and retarder box for when the sol's activate, so I can pull nitrous timing that way as well. So far mechanicman!

Tuner
    Hey, I was reading your thread. I have some questions for you. First, I want to say that I'm no pro but here's what I think and what I see. It looks like you're running a custom 1 bar OS so this is a speed density car ( I'm assuming you choose the custom OS because of the Nitrous) Are you currently running in Open Loop Speed Density? (Though I do see that you still have your DCFO still enabled) It appears that way to me. more on that in a minute... I'm also assuming that your NGK Lambda PID you have in your config file is actually reading AFR, am I correct in that assumption? if so, then your actual AFR and your commanded VE at idle and part throttle are dialed in pretty good from what I can see. This is all based on me looking at the last tune and log file you have posted here. more on why I believe that in a minute...

As for why the car is commanding a 12.5 : 1 afr under normal engine operating temp and when cruising, if you do have the car in open loop speed density take a look at this.... you can see in the screen shot I took of your data log file, that in the particular frame I shot the car was at an engine coolant temp of about 162 degrees and a MAP vacuum of 30 kpa. Next take a look at the second screen shot and noticed that I highlighted a portion of the Open Loop F/A vs Coolant Temp vs MAP in there and take a look at the column delineating 30 kpa and the row that is delineating close to 160 degrees for the Engine coolant temp. in doing so, you will notice that the fuel adder is a multiplier of 1.170. With some quick math, (take 14.63 which is what your tune has for stoich in this case) and divide it by the multiplier 1.170 shown in the screen shot and you will see that it comes to, 12.50. take note that your scan log is also showing your vehicles commanded AFR as 12.53. Now compare your commanded AFR to your wide band, you can see that the ERROR is not too far off (in this case there is no average but you can see that in the screen shot for that particular frame it is 12.10 which is about +3% at that particular moment) (IT WOULD BE BETTER IF WE HAD AN AVERAGE HERE BUT JUST LOOKING AT YOUR VE TABLE I SEE NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE ERROR IS MUCH MORE OR LESS THAN 3%). IT looks like you're somewhere between 7 & 8 % rich uptop according to the wideband. All of this suggest to me that, the VE is PROBABLY pretty close to spot on and for verification of that, if you were to move the multipliers around in the Open Loop F/A vs Coolant Temp vs MAP table in your tune to say 1.00 in the idle and cruising areas that coincide with the map areas of that table, (say between 30 and 65 Kpa axis and 140 - 194 on the coolant temp axis see screen shot number 3), I bet your air fuel ratio goes right to where you want it. remeber the numbers you changed though because when you go back to closed loop you're going to want to put it back. obviously after you're completely done tuning, I don't see why you would desire to stay in open loop nor would I leave those OL F/A's altered but just to verify if that's the problem, I'd do it and then id put some front 02 sensors back in the car (assuming they arent there) and id go back to CLSD once I finished. Hope that helps.. ps... you need to set up a better config file.. also, do you have any issues with your cooling fans? as for plugs, try a NGK BR6EFS (NGK 3177) gapped at .035 see if she likes it!

Quickie70 data log screenshot.PNGQuickie70 tune screenshot.PNGFA Number change.PNG
    Last edited by fullthrottle; 08-22-2014 at 05:45 AM.
    Got GEN II-IV LSx or GEN V LTx parts to sell? Post em completely free on LSx LTx buy/sell/trade Facebook group. Invite your friends.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/169854669867850/

DO YOU OWN A FORD, DODGE OR GM ALLOYTECH VEHICLE AND GET A MESSAGE SAYING "VALIDATE CHECKSUM FAILED. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SAVE OR FLASH THIS FILE." IF SO FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...lash-this-file

Senior Tuner
    Post the tune you ran for last log. You were in closed loop in first log and the tune I posted should have still been closed loop, your last log was not.

Potential Tuner
    I actually used the exact tune you sent me Mecanicman, but since it was new, and I wanted a good snapshot of the actual VE without any learning, I turned off the fuel trim and closed loop in the scanner. I'm sure it'll pull itself much closer in closed loop once I get this stuff semi-close.

The fans never worked as the dork that set my wire harness up removed those wires thinking I was going to be running a mechanical fan, so i've got a "poke in the radiator" thermosensor thing from flexalite running that for now, although I'll rely on the ECU to do that for me when I change my wire harness around.

I do need help with a .cfg file. I do believe that most of my problem understanding this is my poor config. My last one logged AFR for some reason, and honestly I don't mind logging AFR if I'm checking for AFR, I'm easy. I just went to lambda because that's what Mr. Banish said to do. I'm a bigger fan of plagiarism of others stuff than reinventing the wheel, so i'll do some checking for some better stuff.

Funny you mention the BR6EF, I have a set on the way with a new set of wires.

I did choose the 1 bar speed density because of the nitrous, yes, and I had credits for it.

So far I owe both Mechaicman and fullthrottle a case of beer! Either of you in Tulsa or on the dragweek route? I'll gladly swing by!

Tuner
    Quickie70, I'd do those checks like I mentioned with the open loop FA table and then if it's all good id go back to CLSD and wrap up dialing it in using sort term fuel trims for idle and part throttle if needed and the wideband for the wot stuff. I made a little better config for you, I hope it works. I set up your NGK AFX wideband in the config so you should be that your reading lambda now like you want.

I think I have lambda, commanded lambda and Lambda Error set up for you in the primary table.

I wasn't sure if there needed to be a sensor selected under the sensor portion when building a lambda error PID but I selected a percent for units and left the sensor as "none". in addition, I inserted the custom function as 100*([AUX.20121]-[USER.9005])/[USER.9005]

for commanded labda PID I selected Air Fuel Ratio as the sensor. For the units, I selected labda and I entered 1/[PID.6010] in the function box. As for setting up the histograms and the rest of the charts and tables I started it but, ill leave the rest of that up to you. Attached below you will find the config file I built for you. Whenever I open it after creating it on my laptop, It shows me some unsupported parameters.. I don't know why but I'm sure it isnt a big deal, it should work for you. Go get a quick data log with what I setup so we can see if it works.

Quickie 70 Base.cfg
    Last edited by fullthrottle; 08-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Got GEN II-IV LSx or GEN V LTx parts to sell? Post em completely free on LSx LTx buy/sell/trade Facebook group. Invite your friends.

DO YOU OWN A FORD, DODGE OR GM ALLOYTECH VEHICLE AND GET A MESSAGE SAYING "VALIDATE CHECKSUM FAILED. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SAVE OR FLASH THIS FILE." IF SO FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW.

Potential Tuner
    this is amazing. Thank you so much! I'll tweak it as necessary and see what happens tomorrow! You guys rock.

Tuner

No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by quickie70 View Post
    this is amazing. Thank you so much! I'll tweak it as necessary and see what happens tomorrow! You guys rock.

No problem man. Hope it works for you. If not don't give up. 90% of the battle is ensuring you have a good histogram so you can get accurate data. :-)