Thread: 03 silverado 5.3 to 6.0 and trans swap

Potential Tuner

03 silverado 5.3 to 6.0 and trans swap

Hello Everyone
    New here, and new to tuning. I just finished the swap from a 5.3 out of my 03 silverado 1500 4x4 to a 6.0 with 4L65E package
    from an 05 H2. I'm using the original
    computer and intake with a KN cold air system which was already installed on the 5.3 setup. I initially changed the trans
    first as I bought the truck with a bad trans. and drove it for about the last 5 months with the trans from the H2 package I picked up.
    anyhow, the truck started right up and appears to run pretty good. but i know it will need some basic tuning due to bigger size etc.
    I'm pretty mechanical, just not a computer tech person. I was going to just have it tuned, but after finding out the tuner was going
    to use the HPtunner, I decided since I have a Tahoe I wouldn't mind tuning it later on. I figured why not buy the HPtuner and have it
    on hand in case I wanted to make a change or change out the cam later etc. so I now have the HPtuner VCM Suite pro, and just installed
    the AEM wideband 02 sensor and gauge as a permanent install.I'm not looking to tune my truck crazy, but to start I would like to
    get it to the basics as to a stock 6.0 tune so I can be sure it isn't running to lean. the gauge is reading around
    14.7-15 with normal driving conditions. can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what all I should change with the hptunner?
    I keep reading and reading because I don't want to just assume and start changing things that shouldn't be changed or not necessary.
    it seems that there are a lot of opinions, and I'm unsure as to which ones to believe or not believe. or change etc. any info is greatly
    appreciated. oh, and I am wanting to keep it smog legal as I'm in so cal.

Where are you at in SoCal? I am located in san diego.

If it were me, I would start out by downloading a stock 2005 Hummer H2 tune from the repository (or one similar to it) and then open it up as a compare file next to my stock one, and then start making the changes that apply. After this, and if you leave it to where it will run in a closed loop mode, you should be "Fairly" close to where you need to be. Then you could go from there on tuning it yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the reply. I actually just started another post with a new question pertaining this swap. I realized. i have the factory pcm from the 6.0 and trans. would you know if i can plug it into my truck just to read the factory tune, save it then swap the original pcm back into my truck and do as you mentioned with the compare files? i wanted to keep my factory pcm from my truck so the vin matches. from what i was told, that is best? i'm down in ventura area.