Thread: Need some help with MAF Tuning and data-logging using LTFT's/STFT's

Need some help with MAF Tuning and data-logging using LTFT's/STFT's

For all those that already know, or don't know yet, I have also posted this on Camaro5 sorry if this is a re-read for you. I have tried to search and I am a little nervous about posting on HPT, frankly I am a little intimidated by the majority of people on here. Its just that it seems as though everybody is way ahead of me and I know that stupid questions get stupid answers, or none at all. So here I go and sorry if this has already been posted or covered. As I said I've spent a lot of time searching using Google searching hpt forums and others.

I have been tuning my car a little bit at a time as I feel more comfortable with each process. I have had experience tuning using a few other programs on different cars. However I am new to GM's, LS3's even newer to HPTuners and E38 PCM's

I do not have a wideband O2, that will come at a later date. I am attempting to tune using my LTFT's/STFT's

When I tuned my VE tables, I was able to get my trims close to +/-4 like suggested but after reviewing the logs the last few hours it would seem as I have a little more work to do. Could that possible be the reason? I figured because I was in MAF only...... that those trims would not be effecting my MAF trims......anyway It took me several logging sessions, but I believe I succeeded. When tuning my VE tables I logged for ten min each session and drove like I normally do with a few WOT runs. With my MAF only tunes, I have tried logging just short WOT runs and long regular driving runs.

I hope that was correct, in fact if that was incorrect them someone please correct me, the tutorial I have been following listed here:
    http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196696 , also please note I have been reading and searching HPT forums and other forums for a long time trying to understand before I actually "DO", the Guide does not really get specific on under what Driving conditions and for what length of time I should log. Nor does many forums Ive searched.

My question for MAF tuning is, How long should I log and under what conditions do I need to log? would I do the exact same for MAF as I did for VE, when it comes to time of logging session and method?

I ask because so far the curves I've seen on aftermarket CAI's look noticeably different from stock, and I am struggling to get the +/-4 that i was close to getting on my VE LTFT's & STFT's. My curve seems to look very close to my original stock curve, and that's with several logging and tuning sessions, more than a dozen, and my trims are still off. in fact I fee as though I'm chasing my tail. I must be doing something wrong.

The tutorial lead me to believe that VE tuning was harder than MAF tuning, and that I would need to spend more time data-logging to get my trims where I wanted them, as compared to MAF tuning. So I feel like I am chasing my tail and need a little help. I have done both, normal driving with a few WOT runs over several minutes, and then strictly a few WOT runs. It still seem as though I am not making progress.

I have done as stated in the tutorial:

1. “Dynamic Airflow”, change “High RPM Disable” to 2, and 'High RPM Re-enable” to 1.
    2. COT to disable
    3. DFCO enable temp to 493 degrees
    4. Power enrichment enable MAP to 75

I first logged my LTFT's and multiplied by % one time..I had my fuel trims reset for the session
    Now tuning STFT's, I have set long term fuel trims to "off" and reset fuel trims for each session, and multiplied by %-half, as stated in bluethorps tutorial.

2012 Camaro 1SS LS3

Modds are simple:

Airaid CAI
    Vmax Ported TB
    BBK shorties

I will post my last tune file and one of each log, a long session and short. please let me know if i need to post anything else.

Sorry for the long posting and again thank you in advance for reading and your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeffrey110; 08-16-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Forgot scanner config file

Well I think I found my answer....almost a week later, but I am making progress. all I was missing was "how" I should be logging my data. my tuning, while basic was doing what it was supposed to do.

I noticed that almost a week and nothing from anybody....if I need to change the way I post or am asking dumb questions inappropriately please let me know so I can avoid that in the future.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey110 View Post
    Well I think I found my answer....almost a week later, but I am making progress. all I was missing was "how" I should be logging my data. my tuning, while basic was doing what it was supposed to do.

I noticed that almost a week and nothing from anybody....if I need to change the way I post or am asking dumb questions inappropriately please let me know so I can avoid that in the future.

I'm a total newbie to the forum but if you have something to ask go ahead man! Don't worry about making anyone mad we are all here to learn and help and if someone feels the question is "stupid" they don't need to answer! glad you figured it out and I don't have a Camaro BUT that tutorial is good learning material so thanks!