Thread: 99 grand prix stock tune

Tuner

99 grand prix stock tune

so i have a 99 grand prix gt 3.8l na a4.. i was comparing my stock tune to other stock tunes in the repository. there are some differences.. could someone look at them and tell me why?
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners

Tuner
    Im getting a lot of kr. air,fuel, spark are all good, tcc seams to be working as should.. exhaust not restricted. replaced down pipe and cat with a zzp 2.5" catted downpipe.. lots of kr @ wot and some on highway at 80 mph any time i go over 25% throttle position. wonder if changing to the settings on the other stock tune would help.
    2010 silverado 6.2 ,Doug Thorley try-y headers, cats deleted ,spectra air cold air, lifted with 33's,tsp vvt 1.2 cam hp tuners

Tuner in Training
    a log file will help alot to identify the KR problem, i have a 2002 impala 3.8 and it stock was hitting upwards of 11* of KR, i replaced downpipe with zzp catless and it dropped to most i seen was 5* on same tune, i ended up pulling timing to account for the KR in certain cells, i do every once and a while get upwards of 1.5*KR but it depends on the load and rpm when i give it throttle. Anyways get a log file up than we can do some research for ya. I looked at the 2 tune files and there are only 10 differences but shouldnt directly relate to KR issues between the 2 tunes

Tuner
    Thanks.that would be great. how long of a log do you need and what conditions do you want to see?

Tuner
    im looking for better fuel mileage.. would cleaning up the kr help?

Tuner in Training
    do normal driving around town than a couple hard pulls to get that KR to flare up about 10 min log be fine, im notsure the KR drop relates to better mileage as much as cleaner performance, dialing in the VE and MAF will net the mileage and better performance , i do only run 91+ to help kill the KR since these engines with the egr create alot of extra heat into the intake manifold.

Tuner
    Okay here it goes, i does seem a little better with the down pipe.

Tuner
    this log was weird coasting down a long hill.. it looks like all the sensors stop reporting.. is this normal?

Because you entered DFCO, it cuts off everything and the motor just turns into a "air pump" with no fuel.

Run 91+ octance gas the KR will go down some, but really it's basically stock and will knock. A 3in downpipe is better because stock was 2.25 and 2.5 isnt much bigger.

Add timing in the cells that would be seen during cruise, a couple degrees could MAYBE gain 1 mpg. Drive the speed limit if you really want to see 30-32 all time on the freeway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Im getting 23 mpg 25.5 driving the limit.. i had another 99 identical to this one and it would get 28- 29 cruze set at 75 on the same 380 mile round trip i run every week.. been over everything mechanical, thats why i was looking into the tune. If i add timing wouldn't it just cause more kr? Im sorry but what is DFCO?

De-acceleration fuel cut off.

I guess if you are already seen knock at a steady pace, then adding it won't help.

I'd make sure everything else with the vehicle is up to snuff. Tire pressure at 35, clean the MAF sensor, make sure you are running Iridium delco plugs and NOT platinum plugs. Clean the throttle body, run some seafoam in the tank and if the pre cat o2 has never been replaced, get a new one. The factory o2 sensors are a poor design.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Haha..thanks I appreciate the advice.. I've been all over it. Found corroded coil packs so I replaced all 3. Did plugs and wires while I was at it. O2 was the first thing I tried. Used bosh sensor and started getting p1133 code so I got deco sensors. Fuel filter, injector cleaner,fuel pressure test,vacuum leak test, compression test. Suspected cat due to exhaust rattle, even though exhaust pressure tested ok. Figured if I was pulling it off to look at it I might as well upgrade it. I was going to do a 3" but was told all I needed was the 2 1/2" on a na car.

I didn't clean the MAF so I'll try that tomm.. Never cleaned one before. Could you tell me how?

Does anyone have a reason why my stock tune is slightly different than others I compared it to? I'll admit I'm a dummy when it comes to tuning but it looks to me like those other stock tunes are adding fuel? Wouldn't more fuel decrees kr?

Just remove it from the throttle body and spary with maf cleaner, it drys quickly and then re-install.

I looked at both the tunes you posted, there isnt any big difference it anything that matters. Perhaps the tunes are from different years or a car with cali emissions, air pump. I only saw that start up afr was different by very little and the accel enrich was slightly different, but nothing that would matter. All Power enrichment tables and timing tables and all trans tables were all the same. There would be no difference in the commanded amount of fuel for WOT or a change in KR because of fuel.

You hadnt said what fuel you run yet, I just assume 87 for guys that drive NA.

Tuner
    i run 87, tried 93 and it helped kr some. i don't care about the kr. running 93 is not going to save me on mileage considering the price difference.just thought the kr might be a clue to the poor mileage. seams like these engines don't have any prob going 200k miles with kr.. im going to try the dr noops hates knocks guide tune. from a few threads ago..

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    As for acceleration KR try this, call me in the morning.http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...cks-Guide-quot

Tuner
    Thanks. .that's the post in looking at. On the o/l afr I set up the 13.1's but I don't understand what you want me to do with the adder table. Should I zero it out?

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    On the 3.8 that looks like the simplest way to do it. On my 3.1 those two Open Loop tables are set up inverse from yours by GM with my AFR Adder table dictating "base" AFR, and O/L AFR table providing most of the range. Either way as long as the combined values from those two tables keep you from going richer than 13-1 then you got it.