Thread: flash checksum

Tuner in Training

flash checksum

The file in my 02 3100 malibu has a different checksum than the stock file, is that okey, also the engine started shutting off while driving on the road, till i get it off the road and wait a minute, it will start back up, the last time it stopped not completly, sounds like it was running on 3 cylinders, after it did stop , started up and was normal, the fuel pump runs , can hear it. any ideas. thanks in advance

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    That depends on why it's different now. Search for "File Checksum Validation Error" in the help section, and if you've done what those people had, then that error message will pop up. HPT has pretty extensive coverage for that Malibu platform as far as table access and such. If you actually do end up having a checksum issue, you should try to Tech2 back to 100% stock file and build a HPT based tune from there. If you can, I think it would be worth it. Before tuning one of those, replace your Intake Manifold Gasket with the better $90 FelPro kit. All 3100's & 3400's need this done, and sometimes as early as 25,000 miles. If over or even near 175,000 miles, do the Head Gasket & mill the heads route (which would include doing both gasket jobs at once) These are really good motors that surprise a lot of people with a good tune, so it would be a shame for you to blow one up early. Unless of course you used that as an excuse to throw a low mileage 3400 directly in it's place!