Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich after Flash

Advanced Tuner
    I will try that. Thanks for the tip.
    When arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing....

No it won't. Some 2010 Camaros have to have the battery disconnected to restart after a flash, but unhooking the battery will not resolve the rich problem. I have experimented and the only sure way to know this rich after flash will not mess with you is to let the car sit with the key off over night. Other than that you just have to ignore the scanner until it goes away. Make sure you are in closed loop so the ecu can pull fuel or it can be so rich that it may wash the rings down.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by openwheel25 View Post
    No it won't. Some 2010 Camaros have to have the battery disconnected to restart after a flash, but unhooking the battery will not resolve the rich problem. I have experimented and the only sure way to know this rich after flash will not mess with you is to let the car sit with the key off over night. Other than that you just have to ignore the scanner until it goes away. Make sure you are in closed loop so the ecu can pull fuel or it can be so rich that it may wash the rings down.
    The restart problem was cured several builds ago...been over a year now. My car had that problem bad...it would be almost impossible to restart, would throw EVERY OBD2 code, would say AC Off due to high engine temp...all sorts of fun stuff...battery disconnect or waiting 10 minutes cured it...but then Chris figured out the problem and fixed it. No problems with that since...but still a rich condition with what I believe is an unreported adder to the IPW...and unhooking the battery does not fix it.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I've known about the rich condition for a long time but its just one of those quirks you work around. Similar to the Gen3 stuff that has a rich spike at 6400rpm for no apparent reason.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I've known about the rich condition for a long time but its just one of those quirks you work around. Similar to the Gen3 stuff that has a rich spike at 6400rpm for no apparent reason.
    How do you work around it? I have found if you let the car sit for a few hours after a flash it doesn't go rich. But, that takes a long time to tune that way. I am curious what other people are doing to tune around. this. Thanks.

Tuner
    I never noticed this on either of my Camaro's, E38 or E67?
    At least not that I remember.
    2013 ZL1 A6

Advanced Tuner
    I’m not pro…..god, I could never do this stuff for a living, as I would surely go broke….

But based on my observations the past few days calibrating VE and MAF, after every single flash, my trims would go nuts. It was obvious (now that I am aware of this issue), that the ECM was doing something funky that I was unable to log a reason for the behavior. The trims would go high, as much as 15% high, and they would stay high, even though commanded AFR was 14.7. My WB would report a rich AFR. After a few minutes of driving around, the trims would slowly settle back down. Time for this was erratic. Sometimes the trims would settle down after a brief period of just a couple minutes, other times it would take upwards of 15 minutes. About the only thing that would accelerate the return to normal, was to get after it with the go peddle. Not enough to engage PE, but close to that. I just learned to be patient, observe the trims, and when they leveled off, I’d stop scanning, then restart the scan and collect data. I really do not know how anyone doing this for a living could tolerate this for long. Lots of gas wasted, time wasted, and just the irritation would drive me nuts. It sure would be nice to know what is driving this, and what could be done to eliminate it.

Yeah, its no fun...

It is no fun at all. The trick on these to save time is dialing in multiple airflow models at the same time. This makes the most of the logged data and reduces the amount of times needed to flash the car.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner
    ^^ For experienced tuners - yes. For us newbs it makes things very complicated. If I start changing 5 things between writes and something goes sideways it makes it A LOT tougher to find the issue.

The only tuner I have ever used is HP tuners. Have any of you guys used another tuner on the Camaro and does it do the same thing after a flash? Just wondering if this is a HP tuners issue or if it is a issue with all the tuners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by openwheel25 View Post
    The only tuner I have ever used is HP tuners. Have any of you guys used another tuner on the Camaro and does it do the same thing after a flash? Just wondering if this is a HP tuners issue or if it is a issue with all the tuners.

Thanks
    yes i am also curious if SCT or Diablosport exhibit this issue?

I usually just cycle the ignition and it clears up in our 2007 TBSS.
    '15 Colorado Z71 | '07 TrailBlazer SS | '87 Monte Carlo SS | '80 Lemans Wagon

I know this thread died some time ago but, I am wondering if anything new has been found. Does anybody know what is modifying the pulse width? and has anybody had any experience with other tuning software that has the same problem? I hope everyone had happy holidays.

If you tune closer and closer its less of an issue ............ but I think its simply a fact, you've just freshly written data to the ecu, for the car its like starting for the first time........ perhaps the ecus just need a few minutes to check things and get used to some tolerances etc?

Who knows, nobody as it stands......... Either way, flash run for 10 mins then log..............
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 01-11-2015 at 01:39 AM.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

I definitely think it is something crank reference periods based because simply letting it idle takes roughly 7-10 minutes to completely get out of the rich condition however if you do a WOT pull initially the rich condition takes considerably less time... this makes me think there is some sort of decay or delay in reference to crank rotations... Like you said who knows...
    ShorTuning

Tuner in Training
    This is royal pain in the but. Takes forever to tune ve when your car takes 30mins to give you real data. There has to be a better way.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01 View Post
    This is royal pain in the but. Takes forever to tune ve when your car takes 30mins to give you real data. There has to be a better way.
    I don't think anyone's found a way around it. It's something you just have to live with.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm beginning to think it's just a purge cycle for fuel tank vapors. I was just looking at the purge valve and toying with the idea of disconnecting the lines and capping them off while tuning.