Thread: how to increase engine braking

how to increase engine braking

Looking to increase the feeling of engine braking, how do i do this?
    currently when you let off the throttle in gear the car just kinda costs, i would like it to slow itself down (autocross car).

Tuner
    I think decel fuel cut off is where i would begin.

Whats the engine specs?

ls7 7.0 attatched to a M6 transmission.

What exactly do i do with dfco to increase engine breaking?

first tune is with the stock dfco setting.

the sencond tune is after i messed with the dfco settings (seems to be a little better than it was).

what should i be adjusting?

I would lower the enable / disable speeds so it works at lower speeds. If it is kicking in you will feel it engine brake pretty noticably and the AFR and even narrow bands will go full lean and spark drops way dow. So check for those and if you see that then it's working and it's either on or off so there is nothing you can really do to make it more pronouinced. If it's not kicking in it's likely the TPS or CylAir values that are keeping it from working. Raise the TPS enable/disable, then you'll need to look at what the dynamic cylinder air is when you're in decel and make sure your enabl/disable dynamic cylinder air values jive with what the car is doing to make sure it's kicking in.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    I would lower the enable / disable speeds so it works at lower speeds. If it is kicking in you will feel it engine brake pretty noticably and the AFR and even narrow bands will go full lean and spark drops way dow. So check for those and if you see that then it's working and it's either on or off so there is nothing you can really do to make it more pronouinced. If it's not kicking in it's likely the TPS or CylAir values that are keeping it from working. Raise the TPS enable/disable, then you'll need to look at what the dynamic cylinder air is when you're in decel and make sure your enabl/disable dynamic cylinder air values jive with what the car is doing to make sure it's kicking in.
    Thank you Sir! I will do what you mentioned and go from there.

Do I need to be messing witht he DFCO entry spark/ exit spark? the entry spark is at 10* (stock tune) accross the board, i was under the impression i should put 10* accross the board in the DFCO exit spark table as well, correct?

Ahhh... Bill i think you fixed my issue. At 3500rpms DFCO enable is set at 0.50tps, at 3,072rpms DFCO enable is at 0.27tps and at 2,563rpms DFCO enable is at 0.13tps.
    The lowest number i have seen my TPS on the scanner is 18%-20% and at 2,800 rpms im at 22%-23% TPS. So im only in DFCO for a very short time period before it disables. that makes sense. I think...
    any rules for how much to add to the tps enable/disable? I added 10% to both.
    Last edited by 3rdcoastpowersports; 08-12-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Have you tried mountain mode?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyra View Post
    Have you tried mountain mode?
    I have never heard of mountain mode. What is it and how do i access it in the editor?

sounds like he might be referring to "downhill speed reduction" available in some trucks.

Tuner in Training
    I've never tried it but it says for drivetrain braking but it might only work in manual mode.
    Trans>auto shift properties>general>TUTD>mountain mode