Thread: 4L80 stalls at 1300rpm

Tuner in Training

4L80 stalls at 1300rpm

I have the stock high stall converter and i read they can stall at 2000+ can someone have a look at my setup and let me know if theres anything i can change to raise it.. i also do not have the brake switch for lockup installed yet not sure if i need it or not.. if i jam the brakes and bring the rpm up max i can get is 13-1400 before it starts spinning..

also i have a problem with wot it dosent want to up shift unless i let off when manually selecting gears..
    Last edited by Jrock; 08-11-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The torque converter stall speed is determined by a couple things, but most directly related to engine torque, and cannot be changed in the tune. A stock converter on a 4L80 is around 1800 rpm. When you brake stall a converter, you will usually start pushing through the brakes at around 80% of the stall speed; right around 1400 rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Your tune also has any sort of manual WOT shifts disabled (256 mph), so it appears to be functioning correctly. You can do some rpm calculations based on your rear gear and tire size, and adjust the D1, D1 Urban, Upshift D2 2nd and Upshift D2 tables if you want to do WOT manual shifting.

Tuner in Training
    OK I was supposed to be given the high stall stock which would be 2000 to 2500 people say on here but I'm guessing they just gave me a regular one

Tuner in Training
    Where did you get the converter from? Junk yard or did you buy an aftermarket one?

Tuner in Training
    I bought it through the tranny shop that did my shift kit.. they said it was going to be a high stall stock.. it was reman looked new.. might be able to get a tag off it though

Advanced Tuner
    This maybe late, but the B82 converter is the high stall 4L80E torque converter. The one behind my 5.7 Vortec in my Express brake stalls about 2,100-2,200 rpm depending on the weather and day.