Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New build big cam tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 02statesman View Post
    Why would you do that?

If someone is trying to help you and wants to see your tune file... they want to see the whole tune file.
    That's not info I just wanted to give out, I know it is correct and there should be no issues with it. I appreciate the help but it shouldn't matter if it has that info or not right

I would have to see the entire tune to see if it looks cool. Whatever.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesLinder View Post
    I would have to see the entire tune to see if it looks cool. Whatever.
    Sorry man, its nothing against you or anything, to tell you the truth the injector info I have is from greg banish's dvd so if you have that then you know exactly what I have put in. I figured someone would comment on it lol. I don't want to be putting it out there for everyone, I don't think it would be fair for me to just hand it out. I bought the dvd just for that info because I knew it was reliable but also because Ive herd it have good information and it does. Thanks for the help but that's just the one thing Im not going to put up.

Greg does not own the injector data, ask him. It is how to use it that really matters.

Anyway, as long as you have both DVDs you should be good to go because he teaches you the
    best way to log lambda error and this make it easy to do the corrections.

Just follow the instructions and you cannot go wrong. It is not possible to get a good tune
    without using a wide band as he says.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I just want to be fair and not give out that stuff. I have both dvd's and have everything to log lambda setup, I believe is way better than afr. I do have a wide band too so I should be good to go. But, with that being said, he talks a little about tuning a big cam and helped a little but Im still running into the issue of shortcircuiting the cylinder and letting air and fuel by at idle because of the overlap of the cam and its messing with my wideband readings to tune with. Its only seems to be up to about 1600 rpm when it does it. Readings after that seem to be right. I still haven't found a way to work around this other than change the injector timing to help out spraying fuel later so less will go out the exhaust valve. Haven't found a correct way to figure how to do that either. Ive just been tuning by the feel of the seat from idle to 1600. Any ideas would help.

For idle with big cam below 1600 RPM you will obtain false lean readings; you may have lambda = 1.03 to 1.04 when
    in reality it is at 1.0. This happens when calibrating the 400 and 800 RPM VE columns too.

I would try initially, since you do have significant overlap, to target a 1.05 lambda below 1600 and the first two columns
    in the VE table. Do the same for your MAF calibration in the idle area, which is typically 3500 Hz and below. Confirm
    where your MAF table records lambda corrections at 1000 RPM and below and also target these for 1.05 lambda. Turn
    AC on off in gear and in park/neutral to get as many cells as possible. In gear with and without AC on push on the pedal
    with the brake on to get higher MAP readings in the VE table for the idle calibration and MAF calibration.

If you do achieve a "corrected" AFR that is actually stoichiometric at idle in MAF and VE table, this will make your motor
    cold start idle work much better. If you have long tube headers you will need increase the closed loop integrator delay
    table values by 1.25 multiplier across the entire table. This is because the OEM narrow-band oxygen sensors take longer
    to receive the signal because they are located further from the exhaust valve than stock manifolds. This will allow you to
    go CLOSED loop UNLESS your wild camshaft makes this impossible due to the overlap issue. Your best chance of using
    CLOSED loop is if you delay the closed loop and LTFT enable temperatures to 170 degrees so that you only enable them
    when the motor is just about up to operating temperature.

My camshaft is not near as wild as yours, but you can look at my tune file to see what I had to do for a 408 stroker motor.

Custom Built, Forged 408 CID LQ9 - TX Speed & Performance
    (thank you Gary Luther)

WiseCo 4.030 -8cc Pistons, Lunati Rods, 24x Lunati Crank
    199-AsCast, Precision Race Components cathedral cylinder heads 68cc; 10.7:1
    TSP Custom Order Comp Cams: 227/235 .614/.621 on 112LSA
    GM LS7 hydraulic lifters; 1.7 ratio GM shaft rocker arms with trunion upgrade
    PTM 102mm Throttle Body; Fast Toys 104mm Air Cleaner Lid with ram air hood
    FAST 102mm Cathedral-Port Intake Manifold (146302)
    TSP 100mm MAF, 2006+ Corvette Z06 GM MAF Sensor (recalibrated IAT)
    Bosch 41.7 lb/hr at 4 bar fuel injectors #0280155811
    Kooks Long-Tube headers with Y-pipe; CATs removed
    GZ Motorsports LSX Series Sportsman Crankcase Vacuum Pump Kit
    Meziere 680-WP319S Electric Water Pump
    Racetronix Fuel Pump Kit (255L/Hr integral Walbro pump)
    2000 Camaro OEM PCM (GM service code 09354896)
    Manual-Shift 4L65E Level 5 Transmission & 2400 billet converter (PATC)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-30-2014 at 12:11 PM.

My wife's family is from Lafayette, LA - I lived there for 10 years when I first graduated college. We go back at least once
    or twice every year. I am considering moving back there when we retire in about 5 years. Boiled crawfish is hard to beat!

Tuner in Training
    I appreciate the hell out of this man, Im going to try and do what you say when I have time. Hopefully this will help and get me a little closer. And boiled crawfish, I could eat that every day. Ive never actually been out to LA but I would like to make a trip out there for Marti Gras and get some good ol Cajun food. Ive lived in Texas my whole life actually. Thanks again, this should or sounds like it should really help.