Thread: Car will not rev in park after a 25 mile trip?

Car will not rev in park after a 25 mile trip?

I'm having a problem that I never had the chance to notice before. On startup the car will rev to whatever I want it to instantly (No I don't rev a cold engine like an a--hole). However the past two days I parked the car and attempted to rev to let the dog know I was back after getting home from work (25 miles away). The car would not respond and even after holding the pedal at WOT the car never went above 2000rpm. Is there something I'm missing here?

I've decided to start over on my tune since I've learned so much in the last year so this tune file is still a work in progress. Especially fueling, and I had the DFCO off today. But that's not what I'm after; I'm after this not-revving problem. Are there parameters I could log to figure this out?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CatnipG5Bandit; 08-07-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Lol the noob asks the hard questions. Update, this occurs when I shift from park to any gear, then back into park or neutral. If I hold the gas pedal on the floor it will eventually reach my rev limit, but not for almost 10 seconds. I thought the throttle Map D would be the key here but I seriously doubt the engine would hit 5000rpm at 8% throttle. I feel like it HAS to be ETC related. I'd really like this annoyance cured. Anyone?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    this problem is best fixed by flashing back to the factory file and seeing if the issue persists.
    if your tuning the ve your far from being close to having the proper tables disabled to get accurate readings.

it wouldn't be the first time i saw an ecu change go bad on a flash.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I'll try that. I'm not tuning VE quite yet. Working on the trans day by day in between shifts. I turned off DFCO to see what kind of realistic mileage I would lose. Always gotta try fiddling with every single setting lol. Thanks for the input. If it persists I'm not sure what route to take.
    Last edited by CatnipG5Bandit; 08-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.

You did not completely shut deco off

What do you mean? I was under the impression that the DFCO referenced the temperature values first, and if they were never met then DFCO remained off. Am I wrong?

It looks at all of them and will occasionally ignore one and turn on. They all must be changed to unreachable levels to get a permanent deco turn off

Thanks for the input. I flashed the stock tune and the car did the same thing. I'm assuming this is just one of those tables not readable by the current version of HPTuners. All of my tip-in and all throttle related tables are maxed so I just don't get it. I may toy with the "D" throttle map a little and see if it affects anything. Thanks!

If its bone stock I would look for any possible part failures. Now if it had these symptoms before you started tuning then I would call it flash related. Playing with throttle body tables can be dangerous so go slowly and be prepared to turn the ignition off at the first sign of problems.

It's a full bolt-on car. I have the 2.4 TB but if it were a part failure then I'd believe the car wouldn't rev in park immediately after startup. I've never tried to rev after shifting from a gear back into park so I never noticed the problem before in my 4 years owning the car. I don't plan on changing that table much. Is there a way to force Reduced Engine Power mode so I can experiment with something?

oh well then you need to change the throttle area scalar to match the new 2.4 tb dimensions and it doesn't look like you made that change to me. i could be wrong but that is a symptom of improper area scalar.
    forced REP is easy just disconnect an important sensor like maf or o2 and let it throw a code.

oh well then you need to change the throttle area scalar to match the new 2.4 tb dimensions and it doesn't look like you made that change to me. i could be wrong but that is a symptom of improper area scalar.
    forced REP is easy just disconnect an important sensor like maf or o2 and let it throw a code.
    iirc correctly the scalar should be 2668. you can find it any stock 2.4 le5 file in the repository

My scalar is showing 2668 and I also copied the throttle follower tables from an LE5. It does the same thing whether I have the follower tables set for 2.2 or 2.4... I found an interesting couple tables I'm going to change and see what happens. I will also force REP and see what the motor does when I rev. If it does the same thing as the problem I'm experiencing I know it'll be a throttle map. Map D is set to the same as REP table.

BTW I'm jealous of you. I want a turbo Sonic in a bad way. Hatchback only. You like the car?

its bone stock and im leaving it cause i have the extended warranty. its snappy from the line but slow overall. gas mileage has been 34.7 every single tank since the day i got it and i run regular pump not supreme. i put about 400 miles on a single tank every time. otherwise it does everything you really need a car to do, plain/simple/to the point and cheap.

Well I tried a garden variety of things. I also could not enter reduced power mode no matter what I tried. Unplugged MAF and that didn't even do it. Oh well I'll just not rev after I park my car lol

Attached is a log I did. You can see the ETC near the end spike to 88% then drop to 18 and gradually work up to 23%. I want to say it is torque management related?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey! I logged ETCtqmgmt type and it specifies "trans." I notice once you put it into drive after a trip, the logged "trans current gear" stays at 1 instead of P. I'm thinking the only table left to mod is brake torque limit. Will report back tomorrow evening when I try this.

test prndl sensors