Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ntk afrm ?

Tuner in Training

Ntk afrm ?

Link to product here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/2334

Has anyone been using this with any success? I'm replacing my NGK Powerdex AFX, after two years of faithful service it is going to be retired to backup duty. I'm currently looking into alternatives because I know the Powerdex is out of production. I saw Ballanger offer's a knock off of the Powerdex, but I'm not really interested in a knock off.

I'm also open to different brands and models, as long as they are known reliable in both accuracy and longevity. I work on quite a few race cars and as most of you know low lead is hard on sensors.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    I'm using one, works fine for me

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    I saw Ballanger offer's a knock off of the Powerdex, but I'm not really interested in a knock off.
    The Powerdex or AFX was never made by NGK/NTK...it's always been made by ECM...I believe the one Ballanger is selling now is still the same product, not a knock off...just the same product with a different label on it.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    The Powerdex or AFX was never made by NGK/NTK...it's always been made by ECM...I believe the one Ballanger is selling now is still the same product, not a knock off...just the same product with a different label on it.
    Thank you for that. Do you have any experience with the AFRM I would it be a better idea to stick with the now Ballanger piece?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 79 z28 View Post
    I'm using one, works fine for me
    How long have you been using it? Did you use the Powerdex before the AFRM?

Senior Tuner
    Thank you for that. Do you have any experience with the AFRM I would it be a better idea to stick with the now Ballanger piece?
    I've never seen an AFRM in person. I have no idea if it's as good as my AFX.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    How long have you been using it? Did you use the Powerdex before the AFRM?
    few weeks now and yes it replaced my broken powerdex

Link to product here: http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/2334

Has anyone been using this with any success? I'm replacing my NGK Powerdex AFX, after two years of faithful service it is going to be retired to backup duty. I'm currently looking into alternatives because I know the Powerdex is out of production. I saw Ballanger offer's a knock off of the Powerdex, but I'm not really interested in a knock off.

I'm also open to different brands and models, as long as they are known reliable in both accuracy and longevity. I work on quite a few race cars and as most of you know low lead is hard on sensors.

Thanks!
    SNSR-00990.jpg

The Ballenger Motorsports AFR500 is the genuine article, not a knock off.

From the site ( here):
    As you may already know, the NGK Powerdex AFX has been discontinued. Our customers have asked for a continuation of the Powerdex AFX and we are offering a direct solution! Ballenger Motorsports is releasing the AFR500 as a direct successor to the Powerdex AFX. We have heard stories of vendors gouging on remaining Powerdex AFX units and used units being sold at extreme markup as customers scramble to get the last Powerdex AFX units still available.

To fill this void and to continue to offer a direct successor to the AFX that works with a variety of Bosch and NTK sensors, Ballenger Motorsports is proud to release the AFR500! The AFR500 works with the same sensors & wiring, while offering the same reliability and accuracy as the discontinued Powerdex AFX! Designed by the same group as the Powerdex AFX, the AFR500 has identical dimensions, specifications, features & function. We also offer some additional options which were previously unavailable such as a shorter harness length and additional sensor options.
    The new NTK AFRM was designed by an entirely different group in Japan, features an entirely new sensor that has no current availability (no replacements available at this time), and generally branched in product direction. We offer both systems and the AFRM has good points on paper but is largely unproven at this point. To address the lead question, the new NTK AFRM sensor is manufactured in a way that *should* be closer to the Bosch sensors in terms of leaded fuel longevity. For leaded fuel users, the AFR500 (or AFX) with an NTK sensor is currently the preferred option. We will still offer replacement harnesses, sensors, etc for the AFX as the AFR500 and AFX share the same components.

I hope that helps clear the subject up a bit!
    Last edited by bmotorsports; 08-15-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Senior Tuner
    We've been able to send the AFX to ECM, where they've modified it to read in Lambda on the display, and changed the 5 volt output lambda range a little bit.

Will you ever consider selling the AFR500 setup like this already at an increased price?
    2023 Durango Hellcat

We've been able to send the AFX to ECM, where they've modified it to read in Lambda on the display, and changed the 5 volt output lambda range a little bit.

Will you ever consider selling the AFR500 setup like this already at an increased price?
    Yes, we plan some options down the road but not at initial release. It is a common request as well as the shorter harness and sensor options we now offer.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Shorter harness options would be nice. Right now I have like 8 feet of harness coiled up behind the display unit.
    Configurable voltage output would be really great. Configuring the range helps provide smaller errors when voltage offsets are present.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by bmotorsports View Post
    Yes, we plan some options down the road but not at initial release. It is a common request as well as the shorter harness and sensor options we now offer.
    Any more info yet on the Lambda option? Ready to buy another AFX, but would rather buy it in Lambda than have to send it to ECM for the conversion.

Jason
    2007 Corvette: 440ci LS7 600RWHP N/A
    2006 GTO: 500rwhp Stock bottom end LS2 with Bolt on's
    2000 Formula: 615rwhp N/A, TH400, 9" Rear
    --615rwhp Dyno Pull>>> 615rwhp dyno pull N/A
    --9.87 Motor Pass>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYRSYr3nys
    1999 Arctic White FRC Corvette: 1 of 311... Bolt ons only.
    1992 Camaro: LS swap
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500

www.fquick.com/Kingsize

Jason,

We are still in the initial release period for the AFR500 where we need to build sales volume. The AFR500 depends on volume to keep the price down, so we need to establish some solid sales over a 6-18 month period. Once the initial version, identical to the Powerdex AFX, is established we will be looking at product improvements like the lambda display option, LSU 4.9 compatibility, NTK ZFAS-U2 compatibility and some other popular requests. The more people purchase, the faster we can make the product improvements. Getting the word out to friends & customers is key.

NTK AFRM units are very popular currently because generally people believe it is a second generation Powerdex AFX. The NTK AFRM is not a second generation Powerdex AFX, is built to reduce cost and uses a lower cost sensor design exclusively. The NTK AFRM is still a good unit with some nice improvements (like displaying lambda) but we want to see the more expensive, higher end AFX design continue on in the AFR500 alongside the NTK AFRM.

In related news, we are now offering the NTK AFRM Replacement Sensor which is only available through Ballenger Motorsports at the moment.

Good info!

Thanks for the quick and candid response.

I guess all I need to do now is make a purchase. Thanks!
    2007 Corvette: 440ci LS7 600RWHP N/A
    2006 GTO: 500rwhp Stock bottom end LS2 with Bolt on's
    2000 Formula: 615rwhp N/A, TH400, 9" Rear
    --615rwhp Dyno Pull>>> 615rwhp dyno pull N/A
    --9.87 Motor Pass>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYRSYr3nys
    1999 Arctic White FRC Corvette: 1 of 311... Bolt ons only.
    1992 Camaro: LS swap
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500

www.fquick.com/Kingsize

Any updates from guys using this NTK? I got a buddy who just ordered one mistakenly and we're trying to decide if he should keep it or not. We're having issues that HPT isn't showing the same values as the gauge. We're selecting it from the pre-loaded widebands but it's showing Lambda but with the wrong decimal place. So the gauge will show .80 lambda but HPT will show it as 8.00. It follows the gauge readings correctly but has that wrong decimal place. It throws off Lambda error. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 420gto View Post
    Any updates from guys using this NTK? I got a buddy who just ordered one mistakenly and we're trying to decide if he should keep it or not. We're having issues that HPT isn't showing the same values as the gauge. We're selecting it from the pre-loaded widebands but it's showing Lambda but with the wrong decimal place. So the gauge will show .80 lambda but HPT will show it as 8.00. It follows the gauge readings correctly but has that wrong decimal place. It throws off Lambda error. Any help would be appreciated.
    They are working well. For most customers we still recommend the AFR500 unless they must have lambda display or the wider lean range. At this point we have the replacement sensor, connectors, etc for the AFRM available at www.bmotorsports.com, though no one else is yet offering these ancillary & replacement parts. If you don't see what you need on the website you may need to call as we are still adding some parts.

As far as the problem you are having, it sounds like you have the scaling wrong in the HPT settings. Remember also to do a ground offset correction. You can check the output manually with a volt meter to validate the values and do a rapid sweep test with a torch. Your support question might warrant another thread.

Better yet, if you have a grounding offset issue, fix your wiring!

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

BM, would love to see a wideband controller with CAN outputs from you guys. This would remove all ground offset issues.

Our next version of VCM Scanner 2.25 will allow you to define custom PID's for any OBD bus.

Ok we'll double check all the wiring. He had a problem with a "dirty" ground before could be something similar then. I'll ask him to check the voltage output as well.