Thread: KR kicking in on stock tune and I'm not sure why

Tuner in Training

KR kicking in on stock tune and I'm not sure why

I am helping a buddy by adjusting his transmission for bigger tires and noticed his KR was kicking in and I'm not real sure why. I have not touched anything for his engine and have compared it to a stock tune file. It appears stock. Could this be a bad knock sensor?

Nates test drive.hplNates 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 CC.hpt

Looks normal to me, saw the same stuff on my friends 2011 silverado that I tuned.

To me it always seems that the burst knock and the way the decay rate is setup is what causes the "steps" in the KR. You arent under a heavy load nor on the throttle much when these happens, so it's nothing to worry about. They are just pulling timing to do what it thinks is best for the engine.

Here is a very mild tune done to the truck with minor changes, I took some stuff from well known tuner on here that was done a sierra. It's just a street tune to give it a better get up and go and much better shifts. Compare them to tune and adjust what you want. You may not like everything I have done and thats fair enough but the knock retard decay table is worth copying. Also look at the shift times table, those will make the truck feel 5x better for shifting, they arent too harsh and arent super slow like stock.

Andrew's Truck engine changes + trans Nov 5th.hpt
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.