Thread: MAF properly disabled for Sd tuning?

Advanced Tuner

MAF properly disabled for Sd tuning?

Is my MAF properly disabled for SD tuning. Still shoes a reading and I don't get a p0101 code

set at least p0103 to fail first, good practice to also set p0101/p0102 to fail first as well. you can uncheck the boxes so the light stays off if you want (if it's still connected-it will still read, no worries long as it sets p0103 or p0102). it's not currently failing maf....

Advanced Tuner
    I'll try what you said in the morning. It sets a p0103 in the dtc list now just doesn't turn the ses light on. That still doesn't mean its disabled tho huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastruck View Post
    I'll try what you said in the morning. It sets a p0103 in the dtc list now just doesn't turn the ses light on. That still doesn't mean its disabled tho huh?
    Make sure 102, 103 and 103 SES boxes are checked. I leave the lights on during tuning to make sure it fails over. To really make sure, you can zero out the MAF table and depress accelerator pedal, if it sputters and dies, still not failed over.

Is your intent to leave it in CLSD? if so you can uncheck the SES when complete.

There is an alternate way to enter speed density without failing the maf in your years OS. Airflow>Dynamics> Steady State.....set the Lo/hi Map and Lo/hi TPS to 0's (zero's), this will force the PCM to use only the VE table.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 08-03-2014 at 05:39 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I set the 3 codes to fail first as Tommytuner stated. Ses light is on now. Havent viewed my log yet to see if theres a difference

Advanced Tuner
    I'm just trying to get the truck to run as good as I can so I can have some fun while I save to drive it to Patrick G in Victoria Texas for a real dyno tune. Before I got the truck and did the heads and cam It was previously tuned on MAF Open loop and wouldn't hardly run at all. Working on the VE now is a whole lot smoother. I haven't touched anything wot yet. Had problems with my LC-1 screwing up after being hot and sending the pcm narrow band bad signals so I had removed it. Rewiring it today to ground to the block.
    Last edited by Nastruck; 08-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Just wanted to say thanks to the two of you. I did it TommyTuners way and it worked properly. I went ahead and zeroed out the maf table like Mowton stated and running like it should. Can move on to the next steps now.
    04 Single cab Lq4/243 228r 112lsa, Long tubes, catless, Yank st3000.

Tuner in Training
    So if the map is failed correctly , will there be any dtc's

Quote Originally Posted by primhatch View Post
    So if the map is failed correctly , will there be any dtc's
    Yes, if MILs (SES box checked) are enabled.....P0101, 0102 and/or 0103. Any one will do.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available

[email protected]

Can this be done on a 5 wire maf with the IAT in it, and the IAT still work correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by rpturbo View Post
    Can this be done on a 5 wire maf with the IAT in it, and the IAT still work correctly?
    Yes, the only thing you can't do is pull the plug; IAT's will default to -40.......

ED M

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastruck View Post
    I went ahead and zeroed out the maf table like Mowton stated and running like it should.
    With the MAF table on all 0's, you may notice that the first attempt to start the car after a reflash, or clearing codes (with a scan tool or battery) is going to start and stumble or stall. If you put a reasonable amount of air for idle into the 0 hz cell of the MAF table, it can help get rid of that...if you want it to.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    So I had set the MAF scale to 0 across the table and maf fail hz to 0hz. Set the P0101 P0102 and P0103 to 0-Mil first error. Its finally in SD but then started having weird transmission problems and thought my transmission was messing up. I reflashed my old tune and it went back to normal. I'm just now getting back to this situation. Looking around stickies I found this on Performancetrucks.net sticky. Y'all say dtc's have to be enable and says they have to be disabled here?

To tune the VE tables you need to do a couple of things:

* First, you need to disable the MAF sensor, by disabling the MAF you force the engine to rely upon the VE tables for all fueling calculations (under normal circumstances the VE table is only used during certain fueling calculations, mostly WOT), the easiest way to disable the MAF is to set the MAF fail frequency to 0hz, this leaves the MAF functional but the PCM will ignore it when making fueling calculations because it thinks the MAF isn't seeing any airflow and has therefor failed.

* Second, you need to disable DTC codes P0101, P0102, and P0103 by setting them to “NO ERROR REPORTED” (or just uncheck the boxed in HPTuners "Trans Diagnostics Table" , if you do not do this your transmission WILL NOT SHIFT RIGHT !! (No need to do this in EFILive apparantly...thanks dewmanshu)

Advanced Tuner
    I set the 3 codes to report first error and unchecked boxes and leave maf scale zeroed. Everything seems to work fine now.