Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got a real interesting one for ya

got a real interesting one for ya

so i have a gen 6 454 in my 1966 impala, running an 0411 PCM with HP tuners.

the car hasnt been properley tuned as its still being built, but i got a flat battery the other day, then a complete non-start issue. it gets really fun.

so the PCM was off a commodore

i wiped the commodore tune and waste 2 credits on a C3500 tune i found somewhere that didnt work (ill refer to this file as C3500) played with that file for a week or so then realised my error and downloaded another tune called L29pipes

installed L29pipes and VROOM, engine roars to life. its not running well, but its running enough to tear up the neighbourhood and generally create havok until i had to park it back up and continue bodywork.

car sitting idle while i do bodywork, battery runs flat (has a clock on the dash that drinks a LOT of power) i jump in, no start, no stress, ill jump start it. jump pack on full.... still no start, check the scanner and banks 1 and 2 are set to pretty much full ON, 88ms or something, the engine hydrolocks and the starter craps out.

ok, now i got no idea why that has happened... here is where it gets interesting:

i got a brand spanking new laptop off a mate. download HP tuners online, install it, then plug in the PCM and download the tune file on it.... the tune file is called "C3500".... the file that didnt work... "thats weird" i think, so i emailed across the file that worked "l29pipes" and load it as a comparison file... the 2 files are totally different... "even weirder" so i email across the old C3500 and load it as a comparison... theyre the same file!!!!

so somehow my PCM has dropped the L29pipes file and reloaded the C3500 file all by itself!!!

is that even possible??? can the PCM store 2 seperate tunes internally and switch to one in error?

but the very best part is i reloaded the L29pipes tune and had another shot at starting it and still no dice. banks 1 and 2 full on and hydrolock... so i disconnect the battery, stick it on the charger, and leave it in frustration.

come back the next morning and car starts and runs fine...

ahahah im happy it works again, but im totally brain-smashed as to why this would happen.

i hope youve enjoyed my story
    1966 impala. L29 454. 0411 pcm. 2.5" twin system. comp cams XR282HR. ported heads. 1.75 rollers. 60lb deka injectors. bosch 044 pump. standard intake (cos' looks cool in a 66')

no one?
    1966 impala. L29 454. 0411 pcm. 2.5" twin system. comp cams XR282HR. ported heads. 1.75 rollers. 60lb deka injectors. bosch 044 pump. standard intake (cos' looks cool in a 66')

ok, well it isnt fixd. keeps intermittantly throwing up code P0200. to narrow it down for me, anyone know what it means when the injectors on the scanner go to full 30ms and hydolocks the engine? i know its a wiring faults, but cant visually see anything wrong.

I know nothing, I'll say that upfront. My guess is the L29pipes file, has a fuel adder on a no-start, and is dumping fuel after x ms of cranking to try to aid in cold start. Without having the file posted, who knows. Post up the file so we can look at it.

As far as the file thing, did you get the new laptop, and upload the tune from the car? When you "changed" the tune from c3500 to L29pipes, did you click write entire, or write calibration? If you did not click write entire, the file name will stay the same, and it will only change what is different. There are some modified ECMs in the US that can use 2 files. As far as outside of the US, I have no idea. You guys get all of the cool stuff, like lean cruise, where we get nada.

Potential Tuner
    I have to ask, are you getting fuel, air, and spark? check all 3.
    probably check the ign fuse and ign pcm fuse while your at it.

Get a meter. It's nice to have alligator clips to attach to your meter. clip one on ground and put an alligator clip on the hot and clip a sewing needle in it. It would be nice if you brazed or welded the needle to the clip. Once you do that, disconnect your battery, unplug your PCM, and un-clip your injectors. Probe each of the injector wires at either end, looking for continuity to ground. While doing that, consider moving your harness around to see if you can get the short to show up. P0200 is often caused by an injector wire having low resistance to ground. This ^^^^ should help you isolate the problem.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Are you just picking out random tunes from the repository to load in? But regardless, make sure you do a "Write entire" when you do these things.

scan1.hpl

thanks heaps for the replies guys hope that scan is what you need.

ive just tried the 2 tunes, C3500 was a failure and L29 pipes had it running nicely (ish) I have been changing the RTT settings so always do "write entire" when flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by blownbluez06 View Post
    Get a meter. It's nice to have alligator clips to attach to your meter. clip one on ground and put an alligator clip on the hot and clip a sewing needle in it. It would be nice if you brazed or welded the needle to the clip. Once you do that, disconnect your battery, unplug your PCM, and un-clip your injectors. Probe each of the injector wires at either end, looking for continuity to ground. While doing that, consider moving your harness around to see if you can get the short to show up. P0200 is often caused by an injector wire having low resistance to ground. This ^^^^ should help you isolate the problem.
    hi mate. i have run all my injectors through an 8 pin plug for signal and a single pin plug for + so testing them all is simple.

testing each injector has shown there is no shorts to ground, there was a 4.7ohm short to ground on the + wire, but i assume this would be via another sensor which is also using the same power source. as a result i ran a new test wire straight to a spare fuse port and there was no change.
    Last edited by ari666; 08-12-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpturbo View Post
    I know nothing, I'll say that upfront. My guess is the L29pipes file, has a fuel adder on a no-start, and is dumping fuel after x ms of cranking to try to aid in cold start. Without having the file posted, who knows. Post up the file so we can look at it.

As far as the file thing, did you get the new laptop, and upload the tune from the car? When you "changed" the tune from c3500 to L29pipes, did you click write entire, or write calibration? If you did not click write entire, the file name will stay the same, and it will only change what is different. There are some modified ECMs in the US that can use 2 files. As far as outside of the US, I have no idea. You guys get all of the cool stuff, like lean cruise, where we get nada.
    l29pipes1.hpt

hi mate this is the file i am using. there may be a few minor changes though.

Quote Originally Posted by JMATTSEN View Post
    I have to ask, are you getting fuel, air, and spark? check all 3.
    probably check the ign fuse and ign pcm fuse while your at it.
    im smelling fuel after cranking, and the fuel pumps are engaging (theyre noisy as) and all fuses are ok. i did notice on the scan i posted above that there doent seem to be any spark advance, which i hadnt noticed before. not sure if that just means it runs at 0 deg while cranking or not, ill get onto that now.

I'm no wizard with the V8s, but your cranking VE in the tune you posted is very strange. Nothing but 75s and 80s. Your MAF tables also look heavy handed, especially in the lower cells but maybe I'm wrong. Calibrate the MAF once you get it running.

yeah the cranking VE has me a bit stumped too. its unchanged from the file i downloaded off the repository, and i have no idea how to make a new one. there is a thread on here with a link to a calculator, but its no longer live....

thanks heaps for pointing out the MAF settings! I didn't even notice. loaded up the settings off a standard holden LS1, cross referenced over 2 different tunes and they were identical, and since I use the same maf, figured it'd be a good start.

my latest scan:

twice round the block.hpl

Here's a stock cranking VE table for an 8.1L. You need to log your Air/Fuel against MAF airflow and tune the airflow accordingly. You can have it running great once it all gets dialed in.

8.1ve.png

legend

I see tons of 8.1s in the repository but I wonder if your view of it is different because you are in Australia???

LOL! was that a dig at me being upside down?

i had a quick squizz at a few other L29 tunes, but wasnt able to view them. im now realising its because i was trying to view them as a comparison, and theyre totally different PCMS...

chopped 1/15th off my VE tables and entered all the data from the cranking VE table (manually, one number at a time ) along with the maf sensor changes from earlier, she cold started like a DREAM. best start yet.

this is heaps of fun. I hope im not alloying people on this website with constant updates.

briefstart.hpl

I used some throttle to start out of pure habbit, but im not sure it was necessary