Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 5.0 manual mustang.. What nannies rob the most performance gain.how to remove?

2014 5.0 manual mustang.. What nannies rob the most performance gain.how to remove?

I have a 2014 manual 5.0 mustang...offroad x-pipe, aluminum driveshaft...what "nannies" (drivetrain protection and torque reduction)rob performance and what is the best way to get rid of them? what should i keep?.. open for suggestions..

Advanced Tuner
    COT stuff...if you've got no cats...kill the cat overtemp protection.
    "I didn't fail, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

The Spark Tip In slightly limits initial power when stomping on the gas. Disabling that will aid in killing part of the nanny system as well.

All your torque management can be raised as well.

Auto trans? Theres some stuff there too.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    Engine:
    Traction Control
    Torque Oscillation Mode

Trans:
    Clutch protection
    Torque truncation

Advanced Tuner
    Also the tq module switch can be disabled.

I've still got the oscillation enabled...but it's the only one.

Under trans my tq truncation is set to 1024 all the way down. All clutch protection is still stock values.

Quote Originally Posted by schaid View Post
    Also the tq module switch can be disabled.

I've still got the oscillation enabled...but it's the only one.

Under trans my tq truncation is set to 1024 all the way down. All clutch protection is still stock values.
    I do not recommend disabling the Tq Module switch. This can cause all sorts of weird issues.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Thank you gentlemen for giving me some direction on what to work on.... would it be safe to assume that these changes on a mostly stock car make the most difference in performance? at least on what I've read max real world HP gain at the wheels is only going to be 10-15 HP with a good tune (again on a mostly stock 5.0 mustang )

Quote Originally Posted by rkrebs27 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for giving me some direction on what to work on.... would it be safe to assume that these changes on a mostly stock car make the most difference in performance? at least on what I've read max real world HP gain at the wheels is only going to be 10-15 HP with a good tune (again on a mostly stock 5.0 mustang )
    Yes, you can pick up some peak power by raising the rev limiter some. And some timing tweaks as well.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, you can pick up some peak power by raising the rev limiter some. And some timing tweaks as well.
    To add to what Eric said, cam timing and ignition timing.

Cam timing is a big one. From what I can tell, these cars respond best to exhaust cam timing changes. BUT, do not neglect the intake cams as power can be had there as well.
    Total Masshole.
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD

Tuner in Training
    Most will complain about a "throttle lag" on these drive by wire systems so adjusting this would make it much more responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortiz View Post
    Most will complain about a "throttle lag" on these drive by wire systems so adjusting this would make it much more responsive.
    any suggestions on how to do this or is it done through doing away with tip in spark retard ?

any articles or books to read or suggestions on setting cam timing for best performance or just a steep learning curve needed? i do thank everyone for input and advice.i do envy people that know what they're doing when it comes to tuning...

any suggestions on how to do this or is it done through doing away with tip in spark retard ?
    There is a switch, in the Electronic Throttle section called Tip In Management. Disabling this will eliminate the tip in lag. Cars drive SO much nicer with this turned off.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by eric@hptuners View Post
    there is a switch, in the electronic throttle section called tip in management. Disabling this will eliminate the tip in lag. Cars drive so much nicer with this turned off.
    qft

There is a switch, in the Electronic Throttle section called Tip In Management. Disabling this will eliminate the tip in lag. Cars drive SO much nicer with this turned off.
    Wow, I missed that one. Gonna go do it after work.
    Total Masshole.

There are several tables I do not have defined that control this rate, but its fairly complex. I figured most people would only want to disable it completely, so I only added the switch to disable it altogether.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Advanced Tuner
    any articles or books to read or suggestions on setting cam timing for best performance or just a steep learning curve needed? i do thank everyone for input and advice.i do envy people that know what they're doing when it comes to tuning...
    Most everything on these cars can be tuned and dialed in on the street with some logging. The one exception is cam timing. The best thing to do is adjust each cam in increments on a dyno. Make intake cam changes until you find optimal power. Adjust exhaust cams doing the same. Repeat with intake cams and finish with exhaust. A-B-A-B-A-B until you have reached the pinnacle. You may also want to check ignition timing once finished with this process with the car under load to ensure there is no knock and make adjustments as needed.

I gotta be honest, I changed it to disabled and I really didn't notice much of anything....
    Total Masshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin85 View Post
    Wow, I missed that one. Gonna go do it after work.
    wonder if with your other tuning there was not much left to change when you disabled it