Thread: Does not want to shift in 3rd at WOT

Does not want to shift in 3rd at WOT

The car is a 2000 TA with a stall in it. It won't shift into 3rd at WOT and it just bangs on the rev limiter. What can I adjust?

Advanced Tuner
    When my 2000 Camaro had that issue, I simply lowered the WOT Shift Speed settings a little and made my WOT shifts more dependent on RPM. It's worked out great on my car. Not saying that is your issue, since I am far from a HPTuners whiz, but at least it's something to try that is easily reversible if it doesn't work for you.
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

So how much did you lower the shift speeds? Howw can you make the WOT shifts more dependant on RPM?

Senior Tuner
    Might have some band wear causing slippage on the 2-3 shift. I had that problem on my 98 Camaro. I put in F type Ford fluid and raced another year before it finally gave out.

I hope it does not have any band wear, according to the owner it was recently rebuilt with a shift kit and a stall.

Senior Tuner
    There are tranny PIDs that you can log to determine if you are getting slippage. Input shaft to output rpm but get some help here on this one from one of the tranny experts.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    So how much did you lower the shift speeds? Howw can you make the WOT shifts more dependant on RPM?
    I lowered them like 8mph across the board, which pretty much took them out of the picture as far as WOT upshifts are concerned.

My car was originally tuned (using HPTuners), by a "pro" and he was what I'll politely say, "less than knowledgeable" regarding all of my transmission settings, so my car did the same thing as yours. For my car to shift by 6700-6800 rpm's, the RPM setting had to be set at 6400 and I always knew that wasn't "right".

After buying my own HPTuners setup, I actually read on this site that two things had to happen for a WOT upshift to occur...one, the MPH that it was set to shift at had to happen, and two, the RPM that it was set to had to happen. Until BOTH things occurred the vehicle will not upshift. As soon as I lowered MPH settings, the car immediately started upshifting at 6400, since that was what it was commanded to do at that point.

Anyway, since the only real time I am at WOT through the gears, is at a dragstrip, I keep the MPH settings artificially low, which forces the WOT shifts to be dependent solely on RPM. It is much easier for me to dial in a certain ET or experiment with the car shifting consistently at the RPM that I choose.

Hopefully, yours is a simple fix like mine was. Good Luck.

Senior Tuner
    Just looked at your file. You 2-3 mph is too high. Try 66 mph vs. 71 with that 3.73 gear.

I will try that, and will let you know if that worked, thanks for the suggestions.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO View Post
    I will try that, and will let you know if that worked, thanks for the suggestions.
    Any luck?