Thread: KR issue...

Advanced Tuner

Question KR issue...

Whats up folks.

A buddy of mine has a 2009 G8 GT. The car has a Vararam, Fast 102, SLP headers, high-flow cats, full exhaust and a 3600 stall. The rest is stock.

The car is pinging its butt off. He has a tune that was mailed to him and he uploaded it with HPT. I looked in the tune and his tune is only commanding 23 degrees of timing. I looked at his PE and it was super lean (1.01 in upper rpms).

Here is what I have tried...

I set PE for 1.17 across the board. It reduced the KR but theres still slight KR. I ran PE as fat as 1.28 with no luck. I dont currently have a copy of the tune but I did do some logging. I can upload later...

I reduced the WOT timing to 17 (from 23, to 20 and then 17...). Still has KR

The previous tuner put the car in strictly MAF mode. I performed a MAF tune on the car because the STFT were above 10%. I got them under 3%. That helped a wee bit but still...

Also, the owner has Iridium plugs installed. I believe they are stock heat range. I think these plugs may be a contributing factor. I recommended that he order a set of NGK TR6's so that we can eliminate plugs as possible suspects.

I will post the tune and log (I cant remember if I saved it...) but in the meantime, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 07-29-2014 at 08:54 AM.

what's the PE ramp in set at? How much timing is being pulled, is it burst knock? Could be the plugs or something mechanical causing false KR. Will be helpful when looking at the tune and scan.

Advanced Tuner
    PE ramp in is set for 2.0. The KR was really high but now it's only 3-4 degrees. I'm thinking plugs at this point. It's definitely not false knock. Or bust knock. It's very audible. I will post the tune. I don't remember if I logged it. I will see if I can get a log.
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 07-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Have you actually put a WB in it and monitored AFR's?

I didn't see you mention anything about fuel. Assuming it is fresh 91-93 octane?
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

Tuner in Training
    wideband for sure pull few degrees from timing table and dial maf in tight set pe delay to 0 and ramp in at 1.3 and I always look for a stock tune to compare to another tuners tune to see if injector data and fuel tables timing everything is correct!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 MidMet WS6 View Post
    Have you actually put a WB in it and monitored AFR's?

I didn't see you mention anything about fuel. Assuming it is fresh 91-93 octane?
    Nope. No WB. I told him to order one. I'm assuming fresh fuel. When I first met him, he told me about the issue. He drives the car regular so I'm assuming fresh gas. He can drive it but he can't go wot.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmmm... Post edited...

After reviewing the log file (I didnt have much time to work with when I was testing...) I see where I need to remove MORE timing at. I will try and then post back...
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 07-30-2014 at 12:36 PM.

if your having KR problems I would try a set of NGK BR7EF plugs. they are not projected tip vs. a projected tip on a tr6 or tr55. I was fighting KR on my 98 Regal GS running 11.5lbs and I was using a tr6, put in the br7ef and no more KR

No point in doing anything until you dial in the maf with a WB.
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

Tuner in Training
    Probably a silly question, but it needs to be asked - we're assuming you are running 93 octane?