Thread: Burst Knock

Burst Knock

Been reading up on the Burst Knock in various forums. The conclusion i have came to is: BK is timing being pulled from the ECM's estimated anticipation that it will see knock during specific increased throttle/air transitions, regardless whether it will actually knock, or ever has knocked in the same transitions. I've noticed on newer silverado's there are three tables to adjust: Enable Delta Cyl Air, Mult vs RPM & ERT vs ECT. On the older Silverado's there's only 2: Enable Delta Cyl Air and Knock Retard vs. RPM. I have made the mistake and 0'd out my 2 Max Knock Retard tables (thinking they were part of the BK strategy being directly under them) only to get low voltage knock sensor codes. In which i went back and realized they weren't part of the BK strategy, but more the actual Knock Retard strategy. I then of course put them back to stock with the BK still shut off and the codes are gone.
    I have eliminated the BK and have noticed evident throttle response and lowered power band tip-in. No knock ever reported in any of the transitions either. What is anyone else's experience/findings when experimenting with BK?

BK new cropped.jpgBK Older.jpg
    Last edited by Ranger6202; 07-28-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: pictures / two sets of tables

Senior Tuner
    I turn it off in almost everything I tune...I've never had a negative result from that.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

^^^^^ this ^^^^
    Turn it off and see. If you have what you think is burst knock afterwards, you can re implement the strategy on your terms, limited to only what is needed.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.