Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyno feature?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Dyno feature?

for comparison sake similar to proscan? I would help pretty much anyone from the newbie to the weekend tuner so they wouldnt necessarily have to go to a dyno to get before/after results for changes in their tune.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

taht would be sweet
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

i second that

you need to have a derivative function to do this....
    I have actually inquired about this for quite some time....
    at one point I was told it was not in the plans...but it seems like it has been planned to be added eventually from the last time I check on it...
    then its just a simple math formula....which I already have somewhat calculated..
    Mass*Velocity*(difference in time/difference of velocity, over a derivative period- meaning how many frames to calculate from..2,5,27..whatever)

a few other things to true it up...but In mathmatical practice.....its correct
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yeah it seems like it would just be simple math...take the least amount of info ie tps/rpm/speed or what have you so you get the most fps simple calc with the timer vs how you get from xxmph to xxmph someone had a program for it to use with hpt but it doesnt work with 2.0 for some reason

Senior Tuner
    Well, you can't base it on frames ... as slower vehicles use up more frames on a scan then a faster vehicle. The other thing to consider is tire spin and how it relates to a static value (distance). Without an outside metering source (like GPS or Accelerometer), it would be very hard to get consistant results that would correlate to a 1320' length. I am not saying it is not a good idea, I think it is great and would love to see a feature like this.

We here you.

I bumped it up on the priority list.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    We here you.

I bumped it up on the priority list.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    Well, you can't base it on frames ... as slower vehicles use up more frames on a scan then a faster vehicle. The other thing to consider is tire spin and how it relates to a static value (distance). Without an outside metering source (like GPS or Accelerometer), it would be very hard to get consistant results that would correlate to a 1320' length. I am not saying it is not a good idea, I think it is great and would love to see a feature like this.
    I wouldnt necessarily need a 1/4 mile calc...they always end up horribly inaccurate using scanners...but doing a run with a manual in 2rd or 3rd gear from 2000-6000 rpms would be great for getting some fairly accurate dyno type results...again the less pids you'd log the more accurate info you'd get for mph & rpm which is really all you'd probably need for something like that to be a reality.

actually I plan on basing it on actual time....
    I was just going to do an excel sheet but time math is a little off due to it being reported as HH:MM:SS:ms....if it were a . instead fo a colon it would make this easier

you can get descent results of 40-100+ in 4th gear as you usually dont have as much chance of breaking the tires loose in 4th
    I have ben doing it with Excel and getting a reasonably close model....its not giving me #'s...but I can see the difference in acceleration and can determine if I am getting more between run 1 and run 2 and run 3...
    -Scott -

Senior Tuner
    Hmm, sounds very interesting. If it is just a "basic dyno run" in the final gear, it should be usefull ... especially if estimates are with in reason, mainly for comparison reasons. Granted, a manual is easier to do a 4th gear run from 40-100 (as an example) ... Possibly for (electronically controlled) autos, that when you enable this Dyno Scan feature it has an option of locking the TCC upon initial log ... then reset to normal operation when the scan/log is complete or upon a certain TPS% value.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Hmm, sounds very interesting. If it is just a "basic dyno run" in the final gear, it should be usefull ... especially if estimates are with in reason, mainly for comparison reasons. Granted, a manual is easier to do a 4th gear run from 40-100 (as an example) ... Possibly for (electronically controlled) autos, that when you enable this Dyno Scan feature it has an option of locking the TCC upon initial log ... then reset to normal operation when the scan/log is complete or upon a certain TPS% value.
    yeah...have it lock it in a gear & have the tc lockup...lets not get ahead of them or ourselves...just a dyno for starters with no options would be great right off the bat

Tuner in Training
    I was just thinking about this feature today. It would be perfect for things like diagnosing valve float etc....

It'd seem like simple math to come up with whp numbers. Use the time, speed, tach, gearing, vehicle weight, etc... Maybe a more complex calc using displacement, airflow, rpm....

Please please please.... I'll test it out for ya!
    2004 GTO
    408 Iron block
    AFR 225
    242/248 .608/.610 110 cam (247/252 .644/.638 113 cam going in)
    11.3:1
    SD tuned by soundengineer!!!

1991 RX7 LS6 swap
    LME 347
    Patriot LS6 heads 57cc
    EWP/FAST90
    MS4 cam on a 109.5+2
    11.7:1scr/8.75:1dcr
    SD openloop tune w/LC1
    225 shot

Tuner in Training
    Another good idea for useful playing numbers, has this idea ever gotten anywhere?
    2002 M6 Z28, TR230 cam, LS6 intake, SLP headers, Magnaflow high flow cats, Magnaflow cat back, 160 thermostat, SLP mass air, SLP air lid, K&N.

Potential Tuner

Dyno #s

Just to bump the thread again..

I used to have a piece of software, Street Dyno, where you dialed in weight, ratio, drag coefficient etc. You made up a pickup that read off either tacho or a conductive pickup which fed into and audio source as 'clicks'.

Then you did runs. The software then calculated off that the numbers..

Wether it was 'real' or not I never really knew but it was a good inidcator.
    HPT has much more info available to it thatn that so surel y not 'too' hard to do..?

Got a capture of one of them from my mildly worked 350 Chev LandCruiser:

Couldn't you guys calculate such a thing using the engine time, weight of the car and even perhaps the rated power of the car stock.

obviously for example if I run a 0-100km/h in 6 seconds when the stock car does it in like 9.5 for example....... you must be able to form some kind of calculations from that.

Half ass calculations. Tire slip plays a big role along with many other vairables. You can make a guess, but that is all it will be.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I've been working hard on something....came out quite well and accurate to what I was seeing on a dyno pull...

just refining a few things...hoping to pass it on to somebody to turn it into an executable in the near future

export your log to a file (.csv) and import it using one button...hit calculate... wait a few seconds(lots of math...takes a while even on my core duo 2.0ghz machine)

it spits out a slew of info and a graph
    -Scott -

Potential Tuner
    On a dyno drag isn't really relevant but for my old RJ40 Landcruiser doing pulls, on a private track of course, I think it would have been playing a big part :-) and I guess since this will be used mostly on the street is it enough of an issue to worry about it?

The higher the speed the more of a factor it would become I guess..

If you want some other data to test against let me know. My LS6 was Dynapack hub dyno'd yesterday but I don't have any files yet. 398rwhp (thought it would be a little bit more..). Axle torque was showing at 1275lb/ft.. need to get report off them and log files.
    Simon
    ------------------------------------------------------
    AC Cobra 2010. HOC AppleRed on Orange.
    LS6, Fast 90/90, Patriot Stg2 59cc Heads, Comp Cam: 228 232 @114
    Viper T56, KiwiRaceCars Independant Ford 9inch LSD. Lake pipes.
    AMD x3, Win 7 Ult, GPS, VCM Suite, Music, 12" Touch screen.
    396RWHP. Now learn to drive...
    http://www.slysi.org.nz

Quote Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
    On a dyno drag isn't really relevant but for my old RJ40 Landcruiser doing pulls, on a private track of course, I think it would have been playing a big part :-) and I guess since this will be used mostly on the street is it enough of an issue to worry about it?

The higher the speed the more of a factor it would become I guess..

If you want some other data to test against let me know. My LS6 was Dynapack hub dyno'd yesterday but I don't have any files yet. 398rwhp (thought it would be a little bit more..). Axle torque was showing at 1275lb/ft.. need to get report off them and log files.
    Simon
    I dont really need the extra data... have enough of my own.... planning on going to a local dyno with my "new to me" camaro and doing some more math work to make it better...

its real close right now...
    -Scott -