Thread: 3800 Series II L67 spun bearing? Whatever it is, it's not good.

Tuner in Training charlieRobinson's Avatar

Thumbs down 3800 Series II L67 spun bearing? Whatever it is, it's not good.

So this happened to my engine Sunday. I was at the grocery store, started the Riv to drive home, and heard that awful noise.

Coolant gasket and level looks fine. Oil looks fine. I think this is a pretty mild build so far and I dont know what went wrong.

Would anyone be so kind as to check out my last known loaded tune to make sure i didnt do something there to cause this? This didnt happen until after the car was parked then started again. I see very minimal to 0 KR at WOT with current mods listed. The knocking sound started from a warm start and not while it was in drive.

Thank you

V.1.422.hpt
    1999 Riviera L67 SII 3800
    XP HOT cam, 140# springs, Gen V swapped, 60# inj, E85

Yup, spun bearing.

New motor time. It's 100% non tune related but just the nature of the beast with a 3800. It will either run forever, chip a piston or spin a bearing and rod knock itself to death. Snag a junkyard block and swap it in. It will cost you 4x the money to try and rebuild a 3800 the right way.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    omg! my l67 just did this last week too and locked up a day later! Charlie, what are your plans to fix it? junkyard swap??

Tuner in Training charlieRobinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickbeats View Post
    omg! my l67 just did this last week too and locked up a day later! Charlie, what are your plans to fix it? junkyard swap??
    Hey guys.

I actually got it rebuilt and put an XP cam, 140# springs, LS7 lifters, double timing chain when it was out of the car.

running better than ever now.

Getting a weird ticking sound from under the valve covers now but thats a different issue.
    1999 Riviera L67 SII 3800
    XP HOT cam, 140# springs, Gen V swapped, 60# inj, E85

Tuner in Training
    Mine went a 2 months ago as well. I wen he pricey route and sent stuff off to m buddies machine shop.

Here are the spun bearings

Here it is on he stand

if you got noise in a valve cover, pull it off and take a look, also you might check to see if the noise is in the supercharger, could be the coupler

1996 Camaro Z/28 M6 LT1 touched by the LS1
    2011 Sierra 4X4 6.2L Header, CAI, LS7 Cam

Tuner in Training
    I've had a noise, had multiple people say its under the valve cover. Ended up being the gosh darn Fly Wheel.

Tuner in Training
    Very Nice, how about some more build pictures

Tuner in Training
    If you have a standard internal engine, just go to the junk yard and grab a used one.
    To rebuild yours now means a new crank with bearings and re-size the rods that span, plus bolts and gaskets. Not cheap.

I've seen a few balancers come apart and knock like hell. And my share of flex plates and loose converter bolts.