Thread: Unable to create log

Potential Tuner

Unable to create log

When I go to the scanner and press lightning bolt I get message unable to create log.
    This is a new hp tuner on a already hp tuned truck

So you are just trying to scan the vehicle while running??

Just hit the play button or press the space bar and it will start to log data. Then you can do the same thing to stop the log and save it. Thats all there is to it, now you have a log with data that you can view.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Did you figure this out? HPTuners aside, it sounds like a file permissions or directory structure error. Try doing a right-click run as administrator when you launch VCM Scanner and see if that makes a difference. You might also check to ensure that your log directory path is valid.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training
    I have the same problem

Tuner in Training
    Ttt

I assume you are doing "Save data as" after a scan?

Tuner in Training
    If he is having the same problem that I am, I cant even get the scanner to connect to the vehicle. I turn the key on, connect the cable, hit the lightning bolt or scan option, and it says unable to create log

Tuner in Training
    it wont communicate

Does the little data light on the MVPI flash at all when trying to connect?

Tuner in Training
    Yes it does. Everything works in the editor, the scanner just wont communicate with the vehicle

Ive seen that once on a Chevy Silverado, ended up being a blown fuse. Doesn't hurt checking them.

Tuner in Training
    it has done it on every vehicle I have tried

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. If you are still using an older serial unit I have seen issues with certain USB-serial adapters but if you're on a USB you might have to contact support directly.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the help! Im waiting on an email from support.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by umrjmac View Post
    Did you figure this out? HPTuners aside, it sounds like a file permissions or directory structure error. Try doing a right-click run as administrator when you launch VCM Scanner and see if that makes a difference. You might also check to ensure that your log directory path is valid.
    In most cases this is exactly what it is, in almost every instance where I've seen this it turned out to be a shortcut someone created to our software, ultimately the shortcut was the issue and as long as they opened the software from their programs folder everything was A-OK