Thread: Idle, LTFT, STFT, WOT Help

Tuner

Idle, LTFT, STFT, WOT Help

Here's my situation. 04 half ton with a 5.3, same truck that is in my signature. Cam swap, headers, off-road Y. This is my very first attempt at tuning so bear with me please. I can't get my LTFT to agree with my Wideband, that's only one problem but I have a feeling that if I isolate the issues, figure out which is most important and move on that I can clear up little issues. So, my idle smells really rich, the LTFT's are way out, and the WOT performance isn't where I think it could be. I've got a few logs of various drives, If I need to change what I logged or drive a certain way, please let me know. hopefully I'm not to vague and I can get some help from the wealth of knowledge on here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A couple of things I noticed. First off, I don't know how big your cam is, but you are still commanding a relatively low target idle speed. If it is idling good at that speed, then awesome, but if not, you could definitely benefit from bumping the idle to around 750-800. Secondly, I think you have your RAF values swapped between the P/N and in-gear rows. The In-gear airflow values are going to be higher than P/N values. So that will need to be looked at.

Also something to consider is that your LTFTs are what the computer has noticed as a trend in STFTs over a certain amount of miles. Your wideband is instant "what is happeneing right now" AFRs. So I can definitely see them being different.

Overall though from your log, it looks like the truck idles pretty good, just maybe need to spend some time on tuning the VE and MAF.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz View Post
    A couple of things I noticed. First off, I don't know how big your cam is, but you are still commanding a relatively low target idle speed. If it is idling good at that speed, then awesome, but if not, you could definitely benefit from bumping the idle to around 750-800. Secondly, I think you have your RAF values swapped between the P/N and in-gear rows. The In-gear airflow values are going to be higher than P/N values. So that will need to be looked at.

Also something to consider is that your LTFTs are what the computer has noticed as a trend in STFTs over a certain amount of miles. Your wideband is instant "what is happeneing right now" AFRs. So I can definitely see them being different.

Overall though from your log, it looks like the truck idles pretty good, just maybe need to spend some time on tuning the VE and MAF.
    It idles good but it smells really rich, I didn't even notice that. I'll swap those around and see what happens
    Last edited by Kadams87; 07-25-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Well if you have a offroad Y-pipe, I'd just assume you have no cats.

Catless exhaust always smells rich and has that bad or good smell to depending on the person.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Well if you have a offroad Y-pipe, I'd just assume you have no cats.

Catless exhaust always smells rich and has that bad or good smell to depending on the person.
    I was wondering if no cats was the cause of the smell. I guess I only like the smell of exhaust when the octane is 100+ no ethanol.

I fixed the idle flow numbers, it still idles good, but using less fuel I imagine. I have it running in OL/SD to get the VE tuned a little better then I'll move to MAF tuning. Would anyone mind looking to see if I miss some critical step in the tune for Tunning OL/SD?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Everything looks good to start tuning. The only thing extra to do is set your DFCO enable to 284*. That way DFCO does not screw with your log in the decel regions of the VE and MAF tables.

Senior Tuner
    I changed your settings to ensure sd mode, as it was you likely were not entering. Its your file I have posted modified, compare to your last post to see the changes I made.

Your check engine light will come on and stay on, I did this on purpose so you will know you are in sd mode. If it was not on previously, with the way you had it setup any tuning you did was invalid as it was still referancing the maf.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 07-26-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz View Post
    Everything looks good to start tuning. The only thing extra to do is set your DFCO enable to 284*. That way DFCO does not screw with your log in the decel regions of the VE and MAF tables.
    10-4, appreciate that, I thought I had done that. Figured that one out the hard way once when it dumped a ton of fuel into those cells on one of my runs and then I couldn't figure out why it was dying till I went back to the tuner and saw the tables sky high.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I changed your settings to ensure sd mode, as it was you likely were not entering. Its your file I have posted modified, compare to your last post to see the changes I made.

Your check engine light will come on and stay on, I did this on purpose so you will know you are in sd mode. If it was not on previously, with the way you had it setup any tuning you did was invalid as it was still referancing the maf.
    Appreciate the help man, I'm gonna look at the differences, once the battery on the laptop is charged I'll be on the road.
    Last edited by Kadams87; 07-26-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I'm a good speller

Tuner
    So I go a run a log, take the numbers in the VE-AFR Error Histo and do a special paste - multiply % into my VE Table, and then flash it. some stuff is within 1-2% error then some cells are in the 4-7% before the new flash. Next log, suddenly everything is 4 to sometimes as much as 10% in error. Am I doing something wrong that is causing it to swing that crazy? Another quick one, Can I run the A/C while I'm tuning VE?
    Last edited by Kadams87; 07-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.

when you are below 10s , just past -multiply % by half, so you don ''over correct'' the tables.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadams87 View Post
    So I go a run a log, take the numbers in the VE-AFR Error Histo and do a special paste - multiply % into my VE Table, and then flash it. some stuff is within 1-2% error then some cells are in the 4-7% before the new flash. Next log, suddenly everything is 4 to sometimes as much as 10% in error. Am I doing something wrong that is causing it to swing that crazy? Another quick one, Can I run the A/C while I'm tuning VE?
    Just don't do this during the heat of the day. Tuning OLSD is chasing your tail if you get heatsoaked. It's not as simple as taking all the numbers in the VE-AFR% and pasting the difference in the VE table. Not all of it is good data. Good luck.