Thread: Looking for data on people with front mount ic.

Looking for data on people with front mount ic.

Driving in this morning with new meth kit watching the iat temps with new timing I get into it at a lower rpm not enough to cause a kick down and wow. At a surprising low 80 degrees for Florida on iat adding around 8 degrees to my tune I see a logged torque pid of 420-440 at lower rpm then falls to only 380 at shift. Car pulls harder than ever feels great. Drive for another 10 min look at laptop and now back to the normal Florida 140 iat and even with meth car goes lazy again down to 320 peak and 260-280 at shift so car becomes lazy again. Nozzle mounted in my upper ic right below temp sensor on 50/50 meth mix thought on spraying would see a lot lower on iat temp. Car still more responsive than without meth but not as much as thought it would be of course this is when car is warmed up as first 10 min of driving car was a total animal with over 400 lbs.
    the stock ic is between Ac condenser and radiator way to go gm on that one and it heat washes the ic bad. So no one makes a drop in front mount for ats so going to get some sort of universal and build it to fit. My question is guys that have other cars what temps are you seeing when went stock to good aftermarket. Florida is terrible to begin with so has to help a bunch I would think getting it out front for one then mounted away from engine heat.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    100 degrees ambient here (which is daily at this time of year) typically gives my IAT2 around a 120 reading on a fully warmed engine and 25psi boost when I run it up to 120mph. I'm running the Werks intercooler and it gets plenty of unobstructed air. To be honest, I'm not sure where that IAT2 sensor is located so I don't know if my meth nozzle is before or after it. It is mounted after the 3 bar sensor in the cold side charge pipe.

How does that compare to what it was when stock? Basically how much did it help going to it? I thought it was in the pipe right before the throttle body but may be wrong.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    I upgraded the intercooler before getting HP Tuners so I don't know if the stock numbers were different or not. It does appear that my meth nozzle is installed after the IAT2 sensor though. Looking through a few of my logs, the highest IAT2 reading that I have seen is 122*. I'm sure the larger turbo helps quite a bit as it is more efficient at higher boost pressures than the K04.

I had an upper ic pipe made out of aluminum so easier to have the bung for the meth and had them install it prior to the sensor so that way when sprayed across it the temp would drop and my modified iat timing table that was originally all pulling out timing for going hot would increase timing for seeing the cooler temp. I have read that it should cool it a lot and not seeing a big drop on log so trying to figure this out. I figured doing it that way was a good safe guard so if not spraying not seeing more timing but so far not working out how I had hoped. Maybe I need more meth or to spray something else with more cooling affect. I was going to pull the nozzle this weekend and spray it across a measured temp device and see how it does to try to figure this out as I read guys seeing negative temps on other applications so drops over 100 degrees where I am lucky to see 10 so far. I guess could be a sensor issue not quickly reacting to the drop I'm not sure yet and why wanted to measure it some other way rather than just pulling the whole upper ic off and spraying with key on and reading the temp off the closed system of the car. A good idea if can work it out I thought at least.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm using a 7 nozzle from Devils Own. Maybe your nozzle needs to be a little farther away from the sensor to get a better cooling effect?

I own a LNF HHR SS that I really haven't done anything to yet. My play toy is a 2001 cavalier Z24 with a small M45 that I'm over-spinning. I have been running that setup for a long time. I'm using meth injection that I mix myself using distilled water and 100% meth. I'm using a nozzle that comes out to about 500cc.

I'm also in Florida. I have found once the temps are up (cruising on the interstate or whatever). I can keep them from going up no more than 10-12 degree's. I have also found that using a purge button on my meth kit I can drop my IAT's before a pull and still only get the 10-12 degree increase. This is pretty good considering I'm running a heaton with no other cooling mods as the setup does not allow.

So my point to the orginial poster is I could see when the car is fresh in the morning having lower IAT's and better power. Then after lots of driving the IAT's being much higher and less power. Maybe a purge button would allow you to bring them down even in the hot weather.

To explain on the purge button. This is just a button that allows me to activate the meth kit at anytime I wish and it sprays in the same location cooling IAT's.

Now in my setup it is spraying right after the Throttle Body, but before the charger. SO when I spray it goes through the charger and cools the charger as well. How much this would work on the LNF setup I am not sure. Just a thought.

I actually have a cadillac ats but really not finding many people that have moded much to get help or data from so have turned to the guys that have been around long enough to have experience and figured LNF was the longest running setup closest to mine. So mine being turbo I spray about 6 inches prior to the throttle body and across the iat2 sensor I believe anyway. I have been running blue 0 degree window washer with 4 bottles of heat per half gallon just due to shelf life probably knocking it down who knows how old this stuff is. But today going to local race shop and buying 5 gallons of 100% meth to mix my own so might get better at that point. I guess I expected more on the drop I see in logs in cooling. I had read it can knock cylinder temps down in to the negative numbers so expected more that 10 degrees across my sensor for what is intake temp. Maybe takes mixing in the intake and getting to the actually burn area to make the difference. I have the aem setup boost controled so start spraying at 2 lbs so it comes in very early and has a test button so can spray when ever if I wish so like your purge setup. But figured at 2 lbs it was early enough to make a good difference.
    Having wields lean problems now not sure if got a bad mix of gas or what. Tune was perfect in 100 degree weather and now on cooler mornings like 80 degrees car misses and spits at mid to hard throttle and going lean so not adjusting to temp some reason now. Seems like get happy with one thing and another pops up. Ugh.