Thread: can bus gauges

Tuner in Training

can bus gauges

I have can bus gauges from speedhut. I have tach, oil press, temp and volt. I have the readings on a scan tool but nothing with the gauges. do I need to reconfigure something in tuners. It is a e38 vcm if that helps. I swapped between the gauges and none of them work. It acts like the scanner is still plugged in. Went through all this with speedhut and they said it must be on my end. Any help would be great. thanks

There's nothing you can change in HPT to make the gauges work. If they aren't talking to the ECM you have something wrong with the bus.
    If they were reading off that would be a tuning issue. No communication is another problem
    Did you use a bus terminator? how did you hook the gauges?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Sorry don't know what a bus terminator is. But I hooked them per instruction from speedhut. Made a splice for each neg and pos and fed a y off that straight to the gauges. Is the signal different for the gauge and data? I am very new to this and am still learning. Don't quite understand how when the scanner is plugged it has the gauge info in it but the gauges don't. Thanks

Post up whatever wiring diagrams you have.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Sorry don't really have any. The gauges are supplied with a basic stereo cable. The red or positive wire is spliced into the tan with black tracer going to the diagnostic port. The black or negative is spliced into the tan wire going into the back of the diagnostic port. The plug just goes into the back of any of the gauges and is daisy chained from there. That is how their tech said it should be wired. I plugged the jack into each of the gauges seperatly and got nothing. Hope that explaines it ok.

Tuner in Training
    What kind of vehicle? GM uses multiple data bus'. Are the gauges low speed data or high speed? Something like that is most likely low speed and I believe the tan wires are high speed data depending on vehicle

Tuner in Training
    The motor and ecm came from a 09 sierra.

Tuner in Training
    If it's can graphical interface gauges, there are no can data lines to the DLC
    03 silverado. 4.56 gears, 5.3 with LS1 Hotcam. Full K&N, dual flow masters with dual resonators. 5inch lift, 35" Kevlar Mtrs.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks? I will check with speedhut about the type of gauges. Just got back from vacation for a week. going to get back at it on mon.

Are you trying to plug the HPTuners scanner in the OBDII poart at the same time you are trying to see if you gauges are working?
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

Tuner in Training
    No. I have a U0073 code. I found where they said it could be a bad conn. somewhere in the can bus data wires. I checked it from the pcm conn. and both looked good. But now my tuners is showing that it will not connect to the vcm. could it be the pins in the vcm?

Tuner in Training
    Found it. It was the plug to the gauges. It would only malfunction when it was plugged in. And the laptop was timing out to fast and losing the connection. Thanks.