Thread: 2006 LS2 Throttle issues?

Advanced Tuner

2006 LS2 Throttle issues?

I am working on a 2006 e40 LS2 out of a TBSS that has been swapped into an off-road only buggy owned by a friend of mine. He owned the entire TBSS before the engine was pulled so we were able to drive it around. At the time is did seem to have a fairly bad delay between when you hit the pedal and when the engine would respond but other than that all seemed to be fine and the engine screamed. Since then a Dorman car intake has been installed backwards so that the TB points back and Corvette LS2 injectors have been installed. Unknown modifications were made to the valley cover by the builder of the buggy since the car intake did not clear the oil pressure sensor and PCV valve. Right now the delay in initial throttle is still there, but worse, if you stab the throttle hard the engine falls on its face, providing little to no power, and barely able to move the vehicle. The engine sounds terrible when you do this, as if it is missing badly. But if you gradually and evenly press the throttle the engine will light up and go like nothing is wrong.

I've attached what I've done so far, which is disable all unnecessary emissions and o2 codes and input the stock Corvette injector data. (As verified by 2 stock files found in the repository. I would appreciate if someone could verify that I have done that correctly though. The throttle problem exists even with the stock injector data in place.) I have played with a bunch of stuff so far but nothing seems to be helping so I've reverted back to my "base file" that is attached to eliminate variables. I would like suggestions on what could be causing this, either in the tune or possibly something mechanically.

I'm also interested in completely eliminating torque management and would appreciate any e40-specific instructions on how to do that. I've only done this once before on an e40 SSR LS2, but what I did there does not seem to be working here. When I copy that SSR file to this TBSS the engine stalls when you press the throttle.

I've also attached his stock file for comparison. Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by patooyee; 02-05-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Are you still using the stock MAF and stock air tube? Are you using the stock trans? auto?
    You should turn off Cat over temp protection if you don't have cats. Can you send a running log of the problem area?
    It would be good to know what the buggy guy did to the intake.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 02-05-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    He is using the MAF, but not stock air tube. Using a TH400 trans and I have switched the trans to manual in the tune.

If the maf was moved and intake modified, you will need to retune the maf and ve tables. Make sure that you still have an IAT sensor and it works.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. But I highly doubt that's what is causing this, don't you? You're talking about an issue of efficiency, not the difference between running and not running.

It sounds like right off idle that you have a lean or rich spot that causes a stumble. That will require a little maf and ve tuning to get it back to normal. I would keep the Boundary timing at 520 until you get it smoothed out. Did you shut off the COT? Do you still have O2 sensors?

Without a log if the issue that includes data from WB everyone is guessing in the dark.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    It sounds like right off idle that you have a lean or rich spot that causes a stumble. That will require a little maf and ve tuning to get it back to normal. I would keep the Boundary timing at 520 until you get it smoothed out. Did you shut off the COT? Do you still have O2 sensors?
    If it was the MAF, wouldn't unplugging it force it into SD mode and eliminate it as a possibility?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Without a log if the issue that includes data from WB everyone is guessing in the dark.
    I'm happy to log whatever you want, but a wideband shouldn't be needed. Nothing on this engine has changed enough such that a wideband should be needed just to get it to drive down the driveway. Thousands of people have swapped these engines into thousands of different projects and most of them run without ever seeing a wideband or MAF tuning. If something had drastically changed I would agree with you. This is basically a stock engine and the stock tune should be able to get it down the driveway.

At this point we're just guessing in the dark as well. So if you have some guesses feel free to post them.
    Last edited by patooyee; 02-05-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Just keep starting it and trying to drive it. It will heal itself after a while.