Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.3 4l60 cj7 jeep swap shifting issues

Tuner
    OK , Next break I get I will . I am Tied up on a '67 Camaro motor mount Fab Rt Now . Thanks For ALL your Help !

Senior Tuner
    Skip the last instructions, I think I finally got my head around whats happening here. Can you take a picture of the speed sensor on the transfercase and post it for me please? I think your using a dakota digital external 8x speed sensor and we are going through the speedo gear which is throwing everything off.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 07-24-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Tuner

We have shifted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK....Here is 2 Driving Logs . HPT Speedo is 10MPH Fast when checked with GPS Speedo on my I Phone .
    it did Shift into 3rd byitself & Finally 4th ...in the 2nd Driving Log you will see it , it is at around 3600 rpm on the 2-3 ...& the 3-4 finally shifts after a lil bit .

Senior Tuner
    Ok, pretty sure I know what the problem is as I said. What I need from you, do 40, 50, or 60 steady speed by hpt(whatever speed you can safely hold, not all 3, but the faster the better). Tell me what gps says your actual speed is while doing this. With this info I can correct and make it shift normal. Still wouldnt mind pic of speedo sensor too.

Tuner
    Ok , headed to lunch & will get it all in a lil bit .

Tuner

steady speed

HERE YOU GO .... Tried to hold around 65 mph .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Ok, load this and hopefully that has it. Check speedo speed with gps.

Tuner
    OK Thanks for ALL the Help ! Will I have the Same Issues on a Turbo 350/400 Swap if we use a Speed Sensor Like This One with a 2 WD ....Like the 66 Lemans Coming in Next...??

Senior Tuner
    If you know the speedo gear ratio you can include it in the calcualtion off the bat. By the way, you still have a 2wd operating system in that jeep(by vin anyway). I dont know how it will shift in 4 low.

Tuner
    ALL of the 4wd Transfer Case is Manual Shifting in 2hi....4hi...4lo....That should not be an issue should it ? I will Load the Last Tune this morning & let you know what happens .

Tuner
    OK.... We have lost the 1-2 shifting out by itself & 2-3 ...All shifting Require you to lift & shifts Kinda Hard . It will not go into 4th at all . I Adusted the Speedo Pulses to Correct HPT Speedo to GPS & Last Driving log is Dead on with the Next to last being about 2-3 mph Slow.

Tuner in Training
    if you have the VSS on the output of the transfer case, driving in low will be way messed up. The computer will not want to shift even though the engine will be spinning however many times more the ratio is. If low is a typical 2.7:1 or so, the 1-2 shift that used to be at 2000 rpm will want to hold off until 5400 rpm. This is because the output shaft speed is still low even though the engine is spinning much faster. If you can get a 4wd tune written onto the PCM, you would need to add a pin at the PCM and wire it to a switch. This is why using a VSS at the input to the transfer case is way better

Senior Tuner
    need to see tune file for log 9

Tuner
    Ok, here you go .

Senior Tuner
    Ok, if this does not work I am out of ideas. You will have to switch to 4x4 os, if we get this fixed, as soon as you shift to 4 low you will have same problem all over again. Have to hook up 4x4 signal wire to pcm to.

Tuner

Shazam !!!!! We have shifting !!!

BAM !!ALL Gears shift Nice & Smooth ... you are THE MAN ! THANKS For ALL Your Help ..This thing was getting Really Old . I have 2 Driving Logs Attached you can check over for any Issues .