Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 4l60 cj7 jeep swap shifting issues

Tuner

5.3 4l60 cj7 jeep swap shifting issues

I have a 1978 CJ7 Jeep we have done a 1999 5.3 4L60 , 36 " Tires , 4.10 Gears. Swap in with Shifting Problems ....Trans would not Shift out unless you Lifted off Throttle & eased Back in to it....would not Stay in 4th & shifts would Vary from Hard to somewhat Smooth. After A lot of Trial & Testing the Trans Finally went out & has now been Rebuilt By a Professional Shop & only needed Clutches .
    After Rebuild my Trans Guy says it is Still not Shifting out ....it will shift Fine under control of his Trans Scanner but as Soon as he Releases it Back to the Ecm it will not Shift out .....again.
    I have modified Throttle Position Values Resulting a nice Smooth 1-2 Shift BUT still Requires you to Lift a LIL for 2-3 ....3-4 Shift .....it now Stays in All Gears & Seems to Downshift Good . ANY & ALL Help is Greatly Appreciated !

Tuner
    OK After some more Digging I Think we may be loosing 12 vlts to the Trans Shift Sylinoids ....My Trans Builder is on Vacation til Mon 28th??? If he took Control of the Trans with a Scanner that Plugs into Trans & it shifted Fine & would not shift under the ECM then we MUST be losing 12vts thru a PIN in the Conversion Harness....which is NEW Painless.
    I will be Checking with them & post ant Results.

Senior Tuner
    If you were losing 12v you would only have 3rd and reverse. load and log this and post it up.

Tuner
    Ok i will try it in the morning .....& yes we have 12vlts

Tuner

TRANS iSUES

OK ,It still will not shift 2-3,3-4 by itself .....lift & it will slide in smooth & Stay in . Here is a Driving log .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Something does not add up with info you have provided and what I am seeing in the log. Are you in 4 low trying this?

The vin listed in your file is for a 2 wheel drive. This does not have 4 low tables active. From the rpms you are turning you must be in 4 low.
    Last edited by mecanicman; 07-23-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Tuner in Training
    what are you using for a VSS? How many teeth on the gear? Based on your pulses/mile input the VSS would have 2.7 teeth.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
    what are you using for a VSS? How many teeth on the gear? Based on your pulses/mile input the VSS would have 2.7 teeth.

Tuner in Training
    I realize thats what he has shown on the tune, but it doesnt add up compared to the pulses/mile shown. Using a tire exactly 36" at 8 pulses per rev the calc should be 18,375.92 pulses per mile...right?

Senior Tuner
    Correct, which is what I changed it to in attachement try this and used in last posted log.

Tuner in Training
    Ah, somehow I missed the file you posted. If you back out the gear ratios from the engine RPM and indicated speed, there is an additional 2.7:1 gear in there, so it sure sounds like its in low gear

Senior Tuner
    Leave everything as is and load this file.

Tuner
    OK , it is in 2 hi & yes mecanicman has Adjusted Speedo for The 1989 Suburban Transfer Case. I did wind it hi waiting for the Trans to shift Byitself on the 2-3, 3-4 shift & then let off & it would shift nice and Easy each time .
    Well the 1-2 shift is a lil Smoother & still shifts out by itself But I still have to let off to shift 2-3,3-4 . I wound it up pretty hi as you will see in the Driving Log at First & the last part of the Drive I just let off & Eased Back in as it shifted into 3rd & 4th & Stayed until we stopped .
    What is Going On ??? I have done many Swaps here in my shop ....all 2WD Muscle Cars or old Tcks & never had Any Problems like this , is it from the 8 pulse '89 Suburban Transfer Case....4WD....36" Tires ??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You sure all the data you posted is correct? Does not add up. 36 tire with 4.10 diff in 2 hi does not equal the rpm you are turning at that mph.

Tuner
    Yes I had forgot to change the VSS Pulses Back to 6124 ...The Rev Trans is still at 8,0000. I have a fresh Driving log Attached , along with the current Tune .

Senior Tuner
    For that data you have provided 6124 is not correct. Did it feel like you were doing 70mph on this last log?

Tuner
    No it felt more like 60 mph with Traffic , I left this Value as it was on our last adj of it .

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wantsum411 View Post
    No it felt more like 60 mph with Traffic , I left this Value as it was on our last adj of it .
    I dont understand what you mean

Tuner
    The VSS Pulses we had set at 6124 , ....this is what will adjust the speedo up or down rt ?
    It felt like I was Running about 60mph with Traffic today while the HP Speedo was showing around 70mph.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have a gps? Do you have an iphone? If you have an iphone search for speedbox, there is a free version. Load the last tune I posted. Drive at 35% tps and dont back out until you are at 4000 rpm or you have shifted into high gear. compare your hpt speed to gps speed.